Tooth growth… is this possible?!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FluffleFarm

Reaction score
I have a just turned 8 week old bunny that has a huge long and twisty tooth that I’m going to have to dremel off :(

but less than 2 weeks ago he didn’t have this tooth. Did it really grow in less an 2 weeks?! Photo of two weeks ago (21st)
and photos of today… he lost a tooth AND this one’s twisted.

we look at the buns daily and i checked all the others his age and all are fine.

so… is this a just him thing? Does he just hate hay and so it’s over growing? His dad and mom don’t have this either.

Attachments

• 4E2A7A7C-F399-43E7-BFB0-472F7A02FC6D.jpeg
    4E2A7A7C-F399-43E7-BFB0-472F7A02FC6D.jpeg
    108.3 KB · Views: 7
  • 6340740F-2FFC-4644-95BB-9D8A557E5E22.jpeg
    6340740F-2FFC-4644-95BB-9D8A557E5E22.jpeg
    105.6 KB · Views: 8
  • 3DE08092-FAAD-4D3A-8E1E-505D1832FE58.jpeg
    3DE08092-FAAD-4D3A-8E1E-505D1832FE58.jpeg
    93 KB · Views: 7
Overgrowth of the incisors doesn't have to do with hay eating. He has malocclusion of the incisors, either due to biting and pulling on cage bars and pulling the teeth out of proper alignment, bashing his front teeth on something and moving them out of alignment, or from improper tooth alignment due to genetics or this growth period he's in. If the tooth that is missing is the incisor next to this overgrown one, then I would say he did this from either pulling the teeth on something and breaking one, or by blunt force trauma. The tooth may not actually have grown that long in two weeks, but since one tooth broke, this one may be broken as well and be loose and pulling out of the root.

If you aren't experienced with properly burring of the teeth, I would highly recommend taking him to a knowledgeable rabbit vet for the procedure. It's possible this problem could correct itself, or it could be a lifelong problem that requires routine trimming every 4-8 weeks. With one tooth broken and possibly this other one as well, to prevent infection occuring due to the break, especially if it's below the gum line, he may need to be put on the proper rabbit safe antibiotic to prevent an infection occurring. Or at the very least, keep a close eye on any signs of abscess or infection setting in.

Medirabbit: malocclusion and trimming

https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Malocclusion
https://rabbit.org/

Latest posts

Back