Tooth Grinding

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jenk

Reaction score
Is there a way to tell the difference between tooth grinding and purring? (Might bunnies sometimes swish their lower jaw briefly from left to right and have it not be tooth grinding?)

My one bun, Zoe, gets gassy/ develops GI stasis at the drop of a hat. My biggest problem is that I can't determine if she's sometimes grinding her teeth or just moving around her jaw. (She'll do what starts out looking like a tooth purr, then finish by moving her lower jaw in a short, left-right fashion a few times afterward.)

Thanks,

Jenk

the way thatI can determine if a bunny is grinding vs. purring his/her teeth isby the body language.What I generally see if a bunny is grinding is an uncomfortable bunched up stance, like he/she isprotecting his/her tummy.

Hope that helps,

Kathy

I have always heard that actual tooth grinding from pain is louder than purring. My Angel (RIP) used to purr alot and it was not very loud at all and you had to be pretty close to her head to hear it.

I also asked a question not long ago about what you are saying about the mouth movement, which I have learned is called Bruxing, where they are wearing their teeth down, so he could be doing that as well.

Grinding is louder than purring. Generally, when one of my bunnies is giving me a purr, I can only tell they are doing it by seeing the jaw move or feeling the vibration in the head. Also, like Evey said, a purring bunny will be relaxed and mabe stretched out asking for petting. A bunny that is grinding will be stiff, hunched up, in an unhappy sort of posture. The same will apply for bruxing, they shouldn't look unhappy or uncomfortable when doing that either.

Thank you so much for the information. I'd assumed that tooth grinding could occur in any position, not necessarily a hunched one; but I now feel more confident that Zoe was bruzing (vs. grinding) earlier today.

Evey wrote:
the way thatI can determine if a bunny is grinding vs. purring his/her teeth isby the body language.What I generally see if a bunny is grinding is an uncomfortable bunched up stance, like he/she isprotecting his/her tummy.
Ahhh...I'm feeling better at the moment; the last few times that I saw Zoe doing the side-to-side jaw movement, she was stretched out in her nearly-asleep position.

AngelnSnuffy wrote:

I also asked a question not long ago about what you are saying about the mouth movement, which I have learned is called Bruxing, where they are wearing their teeth down, so he could be doing that as well.

Based on that info., what Zoe did today I would now classify as a tooth purr that turned into a brux, seeing as she was stretched out in rest-mode. :D

gentle giants wrote:

Grinding is louder than purring. Generally, when one of my bunnies is giving me a purr, I can only tell they are doing it by seeing the jaw move or feeling the vibration in the head. Also, like Evey said, a purring bunny will be relaxed and mabe stretched out asking for petting. A bunny that is grinding will be stiff, hunched up, in an unhappy sort of posture. The same will apply for bruxing, they shouldn't look unhappy or uncomfortable when doing that either.

That cinches it for me: Zoe must've been bruxing earlier today. She's ultra-quiet when she purrs, so I need to watch her closely and feel her head vibration. Her sister Emma, on the other hand, has a more obvious purr; we always know when she's content. :biggrin2:

Jenk I have to say "what a great question!".. Would be so concerned myself had I seen this behaviour, so thanks for the suggestion and glad that it sounds like common bun behaviour. Good luck to you and Zoe and please update w/your experience.

juliew19673 wrote:
Jenk I have to say "what a great question!".. Would be so concerned myself had I seen this behaviour, so thanks for the suggestion and glad that it sounds like common bun behaviour. Good luck to you and Zoe and please update w/your experience.
Besides now understanding that a relaxed posture mostlikely indicates bruxing (vs. grinding), I also keep tabs on Zoe's sleeping position. If she stretches out on her side, I feel more confident that that she feels good (i.e., "normal" and not overly gassy). If she goes more than a day of sleeping in what I call the Sphinx position (with her front legs stretched out before her), then I start feeling concerned and watching hereven more closely for anyother signs of discomfort.

Jenk

Back