Tooth Brush

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rabbits don't need their teeth brushed, and it would be pretty much impossible to do anyway.
A rabbits teeth do grow contiguously, so any stuff on the teeth doesn't last too long like it would with a dog or a person. It is also quite hard to even seen the back teeth without special equipment, so brushing them isn't going to happen.

The best thing for a rabbits teeth is long strand hay. This is what wears down the teeth and keeps them a good length.

If a rabbit has teeth that don't line up properly, then they may need to get the teeth trimmed. This should be done by a vet for safety. Most rabbits don't have a problem.

Cool, thanks! How often would you recommend getting your bunnies back teeth checked? Are there any causes of dental infection I should know about? It seems that I read a lot about bunnies with tooth infections :S

Because I have dwarf bunnies, I became very well aware of teeth problems. If bunnies have issues, they usually turn up around 4 months old. A Good Vet will be able to pick that out. I do plan to have Well Visits once a year and teeth will be checked to make sure there are no spurs or chips or any problems. Abcesses are an issue and can cause serious problems. Teeth care is just as important as ears, eyes, and nose, along with digestive tracts.

Smart move trying to get as much information as you can regarding bunnies teeth. They are very important. And wish I could brush mine as well. But it's not in the cards or recommended. So I'll rely on Dr. Joe.

K:)

You can look at the front teeth yourself, but the back ones need to be checked by a vet. If you go in for a yearly check up, they should check the teeth as part of that. If you do notice your rabbit is not eating well, is losing weight is just seems off, a vet visit is good and checking the teeth is an important part of that.

candykittten wrote:
Does anyone know how they check the teeth? Or has seen it done before and can describe it?
Dr Joe did it with his fingers. Checked their front teeth first, then slipped his fingers into the sides of their mouths to feel their molars. It was funny when he did Kreacher's. That's when I got the eye roll. Tiny rabbit mouths. lol. But he checked teeth at time of neutering.

MY vet has a scope for checking the teeth. It goes in one side of the mouth and has a light so she can see the molars. Each side has to be checked separately. The buns are warped in the towel as they don't really like getting it done.

Korr_and_Sophie wrote:
MY vet has a scope for checking the teeth. It goes in one side of the mouth and has a light so she can see the molars. Each side has to be checked separately. The buns are warped in the towel as they don't really like getting it done.
I've seen them and they also have an adapter for the ears.

Dr. Joe is more "hands on". And the bunnies were perfect. He's dealt with bunnies since college. They put him through Vet school.

Good to know all different ways Vets look at teeth and other things on our bunnies.

I feel the more a Vet knows, the healthier everyone's bunnies will be. So thrilled Dr. Joe wants to know all he can. And I'll supply him with any information I can obtain to help others who love their bunnies. This is a working relationship for not only education but for other owners to know.

I'm still trying to find a vet. Does anyone know of a good rabbit vet in Sacramento? I live 2 minutes away from a vet named Tammie Hendrie but she doesn't have a website and I haven't been in recently to know if she sees rabbits.

Maybe make a new topic? You will get more replies that way. Also a good method I have found is to call cat/dog vets and ask if they can point me in the direction of an exotic clinic

Latest posts

Back