Took Storm to the vet today, and apparently, she is underweight?!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
20190305_191403.jpg 20190305_191534.jpg So today was my 7 month old Storm's first vet appointment, which was for constantly sneezing since giving birth to 10 kits 13 days ago... Apparently, she was just tired from all the stress of giving birth and such, so they gave her antibiotic. However, she said Storm is clearly underweight, which is shocking because her nickname is "Big Bunny!" She eats everything and is almost always eating. She looks so chubby that I was worried she was getting obese. She also cannot climb nor jump high like my other rabbits.

The vet advised me to feed her alfalfa hay instead of orchard grass, but is there any other way to fatten her up? She also eats little hay/grass but is obsessed with pellets. She is half Mini Rex, half Standard Rex, and weighs a little over 7lbs.

Any tips would be much appreciated:)20190305_191321.jpg

When a rabbit is nursing babies she should be free fed pellets so she has enough nutrients for herself and her babies I have 2 of the same breed and I feed them a cup of pellets a day although they only get pellets and hay.

Purely feeding alfalfa hay can make it hard to switch back to grass hays later (been there, done that)... but you can offer some alfalfa in addition to her usual grass hay and you can give alfalfa-based pellets instead of timothy. You can definitely free-feed pellets as long as she's nursing and/or pregnant.

Latest posts

Back