Took over the care of my brother's senior bun

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rmv1983

Reaction score
My brother has had his rabbit for about 8 years, and never really taken the best care of her. He keeps her cage clean, feeds her, and provides her with fresh water. her cage was to small, and she never really got out. I now have her under my care, she is in a much larger cage (2x4 grid, two grid high CC cage). I was wondering if 8 years old it too old to be spayed? And should she remain alone the rest of her life? I really want to do what is best for her, but cannot afford a $250 spay at this time, nor do I really have the funds to adopt another bun, but if it is what is best for her, I may have to. Or I wonder if I could bond her to my pair?

Personally, I wouldn't spay at that age.

I don't think I would spay either. You can of course ask a vet, and if you have a very experienced vet they may be able to do it. She'd have to have very good bloodwork results on her liver and kidney function, in my opinion. However, at that age not only would anesthesia be harder to handle but she would also heal more slowly. I'd do it only if you were worried about uterine cancer (and at 8, other cancers can start to become an issue as well) and the vet was confident he could do it well and it was needed.

Thank you for your help. I will not get her spayed. Should I attempt to get her a friend, or let her spend her golden years alone? She is used to being alone, and I was not sure how hard it would be to bond an unspayed female to another bun. Or if it is even possible.

I would just pay a lot of attention to her yourself as long as she has been alone

Give her a lot of love in her golden years...
She must have good genetics; I wish that I had that with my buns :)

As far as I know she was a pet store rabbit. I'm not quite sure. I'm estimating she is 7 or 8, my mom got her for my brother when he was much younger.

My own buns never seem to live that long. My male died at about 6 years old, leaving his cage mate behind. I adopted another bun for her, seeing as she was only 4 at the time.

I had a 6.5 yr old female die last year and leave his cagemate who is several years younger. He is in a room with other rabbits but I couldn't bond him becausemy only availabele spayed female doesn't trust and is not comfortable with him.
I feel sorry for him being alone as she was wonderful to him but he is doing OK alone.
I never had a bun live 8 yrs.

Latest posts

Back