too young for food????

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beans_mommy

Reaction score
hey all got a quick?? twinkie and beans babies arenow 18 days old i have discoved that they likegreens and are trying to steal moms salad atnight i have taken them out while sheeats and put them in the laundry basket (to keep them safefor others!!! lol) are they tooyoung to eat real food should i give it to them inoticed one drinking from the water bottle so i put somewater in the basket with them.......new at this please help!!

Oh my. They're SOOOOOOO cute!! :pHow do you keep your hands off them? LOL

Greens....I can only tell you my opinion, based on several articlesthat I've read. I could be wrong, and others may have had no problemswith introducing greens at this age. Chloe's kits are 21 days old. Theyclimb INTO Chloe's food bowl at feeding time. LOL They eat hay andpellets, and drink water from the water bottles. (Sidenote: Anaccomplished breeder warned me not to use water "bowls" because she'shad kits crawl into them and drown")

All that being said....I dont allow my kits to eat greens yet sincetheir stomachs are having to adjust to so many "new" things right now.I've read that between 14 and 21 days kits are prone to developintestinal irritaiton (causing diarreah) that is usually fatal? Again,these are articles I've read and fortunately not had experience with.Since the pellets are "complete" nutrition I'm reluctant to addanything else (besides hay)any time soon.

Lanna

I have had a few litters and don't let them havegreens. I know that Alfalfa hay is good for the little onesand momma or just timothy hay. They should start eating thepellets anytime soon too if they haven't already.

Robert

The young are fine on a diet of what "mom" isused to eating. If the doe has always been given greens, thenit's fine for the young.

Pam

Latest posts

Back