Tons of shedding

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stargazerLily

Reaction score
I swear I have filled up a vaccuum cleaner bag with just rabbit fur alone. Orion is shedding more than either of my cats. Is there anything I can do to lessen the shedding? Like give him a bath? The brushing doesn't really seem to help too much.

you can give him a bath, there is also a brush many people use including myself, it is called the furminator. it is a bit expensive but well worth it. if you are interested i would reccomend getting the small one.

www.furminator.com

I personally wouldn't give her a bath, I dont think it would help too much, and it stesses them out alot.

You can try a thing called "plucking" where you gently pull the fur, and alot of it should come out. I reccomed doing this outside ;)

Good luck, and I know how it is haha!

Silvie

I wouldn't advise a bath. That can put a rabbit into shock. Can you take him outside? If so, I would recommend putting him on a table or in your lap and just sit there and pull and pull and pull the loose fur off. Pull gently. But there should be alot of loose hair that will easily come off by just doing that. I do it with mine when they are molting, it is so bad. :D

I use a brush called the furminator, and it works pretty good. I use it around once a week and it controls Macey's shedding a good bit.

You can also wet your hands and rub them on the fur. However, this is very messy and like "plucking" needs to be done outside. I personally use the plucking method, you do a little everyday. The bunnies seem to enjoy it.

Sharon

what i do is take my bunny outside and
brush him out and then (i know this sounds weird or mean but its not)
sort of kinda gently pullon his hair so i can get those loose hairs underneath
it works most of the time:biggrin2:

Hmm...I like that idea of the FURminator...I think we'll go out and get one. :)

My girls are all FOUR shedding right now...and I've never experienced Maisie shedding! I've chocked SweetPea up to her losing her not-so-awesome coat for a newer, softer one, since being on her new diet at our place (since bringing her home)...her new fur is SOOOOO soft...:D

Anyway, yeah...good question...awesome answers! :thumbup

For Simi I pluck her... And Ash because he's rather fuzzy, and for Sisi I wet my hands and rub her... or do a bit of plucking...

ETA: For the best plucking for you and your rabbit - DONT DO IT WHEN YOU HAVE A RUNNY NOSE!

There's this petstore where I live, and there's a lady there who's VERY knowladgeable about rabbits. So about once a month or so, I take both of my buns in and for five dollars she uses the furminater, gives them a dry bath with that powder, makes sure that their bums are perfectly clean, checks their teeth,and then clips and file their nails. I absolutly LOVE her. She's a retired veternarian withliterallyyearsexperience, soI do feel very confident with her. I used to clip both of my buns nails, but it's just so much more convenent for me, as well as Maggie and Belle to go there. It's a lot cheaper to. I know that it'd probably save me money in the long run if I were to do it myself, but both Maggie and Belle behaive so much better for her than me. I would defintally suggest the Furminater though.

Anyway, I usually pluck Belle's coat, but I would defintally do it outside. It's such a mess. Rather interesting story actually, I plucked Belle's coat outside, and a few days later there was a bird's nest in the tree in my neighbor's yard with her fur in it used as nesting. xD

Belle has WAY softer fur than Maggie does. Maggie hardly sheds at all, but Belle sheds like crazy.

Furminator all the way. I got a whole other bunny's worth of fur off of Ozzy that way, plus he LOVES it he thinks he's getting high-class pampered and tooth purrs the whole time. So cute.

I have just had a look for this Furminator as it seems everyone is raving about it and it is even sold in the UK! My question is, what size do you all have - the small or medium??

Definitely go for the small. I use it on my dog- he's 50 pounds and I prefer the small on even on him. It's much easier to use on the curved areas of the body when it's smaller.

I have exactly the same problem- Pippin isn't as bad, but my Benji just sheds and sheds and sheds. Even if I stroke him just once, I usually get a handful of fur. He has a very thick coat.

So once every few days, or a week depending, I take him outside and sit in a fenced off bit of our garden (just incase he decides to leap off my lap for some unkown reason, not that he ever has but just in case).
I get my brush (just a normal brush) and brush him for a while, emptying the brush every time it gets full. I continue to do this until I don't get as much in the brush (sometimes takes a while, but a lovely way to bond with ur bunny) and then I run my hands over him, loosening the hair like it would if i stroke him and get handfuls of fur, and start again with the brush. Then at the end I run my hands over him again, and gently (very gently) tug the hair and pull out the bits ready to come out. Then brush him again.

This takes a while but definately helps.

Good luck with it.

Can you use it on cats, too? I have three, along with my bunny, so if I could use in on all four of them, I would definitely say that it would be a good investment!

Latest posts

Back