Toiletplace..

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thuruz

Reaction score
Post nr 2 today

So I finally gave in and made a (temporary?) Poopbox for my girl in a corner she suddenly decided would be her new toilet place. I tried to box it off. Made a fence of cardboard boxes. Hoping she would stay away from that corner. Experiment nr 1: she pooped on top of the box. Experiment nr 2. I moved the boxes a little bit further away from the walls and made them a little bit taller. She jumped over them and into the corner and pooped. So now i have a bunny poopbox stationed infront of my kitchen sink.....

Is there any way i could make her not choose that corner? I cant close off the kitchen. But infront of the sink is a very very bad placing.

I don't know a lot of background here, so I'll go with what I'm understanding from your post...

Even free range bunnies should have a cage that serves as "home base." The way to begin free-ranging a bunny is to first confine him to his cage for as long as it takes for him to potty train to the litter box that is in his cage. Normally, this would not take long at all. Maybe just a couple/few days.

Once bunny is consistent in going potty in the litter box that is in his cage, then he can begin to explore outside the cage -- in a *limited* area at first. The area of roaming should only be expanded as he consistently returns to his cage to potty.

So a free-range bunny should *only* be going potty in his litter box which is in his cage. There should be no need for any other litter boxes elsewhere. This is how I've done it for over 20 years.

It sounds like this bunny might need to be confined to a cage to re-learn his potty habits (assuming this bunny is fixed and is not hormonal since this can cause potty difficulties). Also, that corner will have to be thoroughly scrubbed with white vinegar to remove even the hint of bunny urine odor. Otherwise, the scent will draw him back again and again.

Sorry for the late answer but I still have the same problem. Tried everything from scrubbscrubbscrubbing and rescrubbing the whole area with vinegar and even tried rubbing-alcohol. Guilttripping over keeping her in her cage for 2-3 days.... my parents were bunnysitting for 5 days while I was away. So the bunny wasnt home for 5 days..... next thing I know she poops in the corner......

Hi. Id try blueeyes' way first. If that didnt work id just nudge the box out of my way when i wanted to use the sink. What was happening around the time she first chose that particular spot to poop? Did she have a choice? Curious.

I did refine her to her cage and scrub with vinegar and clean clean clean an try to re-toilet train her. She is not a free range bun. But she is free while I am home.
The corner is in the kitchen, where her cage is also. And her cage is her homebase where she goes to get hay and water and treats and where her litter box is. That she uses while in her cage.

She always has the option of going into her cage so the first time she used the corner she was also able to go to her litterbox ca 1 m away

Latest posts

Back