toilet training

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caramel

Reaction score
im going to stat toilet training Caramel soonand was wondering what you guys put in the other corners of yourrabbits hutch sothey dont wee there and are forced to use thelitter box

Is she outdoor?

If yes, hay will work, lots of hay and straw in winter, but in summermy girls prefer just the wood, I have somecarpet on thebottom and a little on the top, hay in the sleeping part, litter trayin another part, and the rest just wood (their house is very large).:)

If she's indoor, :dunno:

But is she used to going in wood shavings? When I trained mine I putshavings nowhere else but the tray and they just usedit:DDidn't go on the outside.

Just out of curiousity...any particular reasonyou can't just put the litterbox where she's already peeing?That's the most recommended idea, as they kinda decided where they like"going".

Here's a link to the Rabbit 101's section on Litter Training:
http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=12213&forum_id=17

I'm sure there's something in there that'll help, too...lots of helpful ideas! :)

i was just wondering that perhaps if i put alitter box in the corner she already does her business in she may startdoing it in another corner, she is crafty likethat

I hope not! I've heard of one casewhere a bun got cheeky like that, but it should be just fine.:) Give it a shot! :thumbup

caramel wrote:
iwas just wondering that perhaps if i put a litter box in the corner shealready does her business in she may start doing it in another corner,she is crafty like that
Heh, Speedy used to do that way back when. I was forever moving her boxaround. The only way I got her to stop was to lay down carpet in hercage. After that, she went faithfully to the box.

Wallace

I dont want to hijack the thread... But I amhaving this problem at the moment. I have a very naughty little boy(roughly 3 months old) and he is just weeing outside of his kittylitter. He has just learnt to jump on my bed and loves to do wees upthere, and he wees just next to his kitty litter. Doesn't matter whereI move it to, he wees just next to it... Can anyone help me with thisproblem? Up until last week he was doing really well and onlyhaving the occasional accident!

Please help.:nono

Emma

When he pees are you cleaning it up and puttingit back in the box to show him where it should go? If notgive it a try...this helped alot with training our bunns!:)Also he is young and un-neutered...so may not be peeing...it could bemarking instead...and that he will do until he is fixed.Three months is getting awfully close to teen bunny age!;)

Runestonez wrote:
When he pees are you cleaning it up and putting it back inthe box to show him where it should go? If not give it atry...this helped alot with training our bunns!:) Also he isyoung and un-neutered...so may not be peeing...it could be markinginstead...and that he will do until he is fixed. Three monthsis getting awfully close to teen bunny age!;)
Putting it back does not work. I've tried that with the poop of one of my bunny (only one does that).

Thanks for your replies! I am putting the cleanup into his kitty litter... and if I catch him weeing outside of hislitter box I pick him up and show him where to go! Funny thing is, Ilet him out this morning and he headed straight for my bed and jumpedup there before I could blink! So I have decided that the bedroom isnow off limits!! He then headed into the study (I live in a tiny 1bedroom and study apartment in the middle of Sydney) and hopped in hiskitty litter. I started praising him telling him how good he was andthen he just looked at me, jumped out and did poos right next to thekitty litter. I have a feeling that you are right! Its the start of theteenage rebellion. :shock: :shock: I am taking him to the vet thisweekend to talk about his health and neutering. Fingers crossed thatnibs it in the butt!

Latest posts

Back