Toe nails

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gordon

Reaction score
My Peter rabbit has toe nails that need to be clipped every two weeks. His brother, Bugs, never needs his nails clipped. Peter has always been the hyper/dominant one, so I assume his metabolism causes his nails to grow alot, but the fact his blood brother never needs his nails trimmed is odd to me.

Bugs is a mellow bunny, but good grief, you would think his nails would grow. Maybe he chews them when I'm not looking? :p

How often do you need to trim your rabbits' nails, and why do you think I never need to trim Bugs' nails?

I would guess he wears his nails down somehow, but that's just me. Does his dewclaw ever need doing?

I clip mine every 4-6 weeks I think, but I have a feeling it's sometimes longer, but none of them ever have anything excessive when it comes to nail length. The insiders need them clipping more than the outsiders, because the outsiders wear their down on concrete and the insiders don't have that.

They both live in the same environment which is a small house, with half wood floor/carpet.

I always check their dewclaws, because those are curly little buggers that I know can get in-grown. Bugs is fine.

Peter's nails not only grow fast, they are thick, especially his dewclaw, and he absolutely hates the nail cutting experience, as I think most all rabbits do.

My old foster-bunny had one nail that never needed trimming. One of her nails was broken when she came to me, and when it grew back (slowly but surely), it never was sharp or grew to the point where we needed to trim it.

terrellflyer wrote:
I have no set time to trim nails,when they need trimming then I trim, each animal grows and wear they're nails differently.

Yeah, but I think it's odd I never have to trim Bugs' nails.

Latest posts

Back