Today's Show Results

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueCamasRabbitry

Reaction score
Hey! After about 12 LONG, COLD, but FUN hours at the rabbit show that was 1 1/2 hours away from us, where we used to live, we are finally home! We bought a lovely grooming stand with our rabbitry colours (well, one, green!) for $60 from Sarah Cleavanger's (Double Dutch Rabbitry) dad who makes them.

Ohkay....what else? Oh yeah! Results, that's right! Well, there was a pet class so I entered my buck Magic too...so uhm here are the results:

Magic (Dutch X American SableX; buck): 1st place, Best of Pet

Bruce (Mini Rex; buck): DQ'd for overweight; but he got a third place ribbon!

Savannah (Polish; doe): 1st place, Best Opposite Variety

Mississippi (English Lop; buck; FIRST show): Best of Breed (!!!! :blueribbon:), Best of Variety, and 1st place

(There were no rosettes for Variety, so it doesn't really feel like we won those, lol. :nonoBut that's ok!)

So, all in all we did really good. We're looking forward to the shows coming up in the next few months that we are planning on attending...I'm working on begging my mom to go to Washington State Convention (Do you have to qualify for this?) so we'll see how that works out, depends on when it is, how expensive, etc.

Emily

Edited to Add: Sarah was also the judge and she was GREAT! Anyone else know her?

Congratulations Emily! You did great at your first show! It's such a cool feeling, isn't it? Knowing you raised them and cared for them andthe judge LIKED them! :yes:

Make sure you write each of the wins on each bunnies pedigree. Keep track of how well they do and what judges you showed under. If you got comment cards, keep them for a little while to compare against any other comments you get for that rabbit. I have each rabbits pedigree in a plastic sleeve in a three ringbinder. I put all the comment cards behind the pedigree, with any other paperwork I get (leg certificates, registration papers, etc.). That way, when a rabbit earns enough "legs" (3), and you register it, you'll have all the info needed to Grand Champion it!

lol Blue, it wasn't my first show, but it was Sippi's. Thanks! I know I have an entire binder full of rabbitry information including copies of pedigrees, comment cards, previous entry forms for shows never attended, show catalogues, etc. lol. The list is endless!

That is a good idea about putting their seperate information into "sleeves". I may have to do that so all their information isn't in folders with the others!

Emily

This is great Emily - congrats. I don't know yow you are handling your website - but a lot of breeders that I visit like to put their wins under the animal's picture on the website - sometimes listing date of win, show, and the placement.

I'm curious - if I may ask - how many other youth were showing? I couldn't remember if you told us ahead of time if it was going to be a big show or a smaller show or what.

CONGRATS!

Peg

BlueSkyAcresRabbitry wrote:
lol Blue, it wasn't my first show, but it was Sippi's.

Emily
OH!:embarrassed: So sorry, my mistake... (I knew that... :whistling)

TinysMom wrote:
This is great Emily - congrats. I don't know yow you are handling your website - but a lot of breeders that I visit like to put their wins under the animal's picture on the website - sometimes listing date of win, show, and the placement.
We actually had taken down our website...due to the comments and what not (not meaning to offend anyone...) but I think I may be getting it back up as there won't be very much ways to sell the babies now will there? lol. Yeah I list their wins and what not and what show it was etc.
I'm curious - if I may ask - how many other youth were showing? I couldn't remember if you told us ahead of time if it was going to be a big show or a smaller show or what.
It was an ALL youth show! there was only a total of 100-104 rabbits. Mostly it was just one club that was showing, so not a lot of people. There's a show in April hosted by Sippi's mom's club that we may go too. See if Sippi will be able to breed w/her by then, etc.
CONGRATS!

Peg

I have a question, I have all my purebred bucks at stud fees (Bruce is $15) but what should I have Sippi's stud fee at? I don't want to ask too much or too little; and we can't get POTL (pick of the litter) so yea....

Emily

That's ok Blue. I guess I should have said that, lol.

Thanks BBB! Yes he is gorgeous, lol. It was funny though, for some time on the judging table, he was sitting is a puddle of pee, and he would flick it all over the place.

Don't you just hate how others cram right in front of you and they just blabber so much you can't hear what the judge says (or you can't see your bunny!) about your bunny!? I was trying to watch Mississippi and there was girl standing right in front of him...face level with his rear....I was wishing he'd a sprayed then, lol. They should know not to stand so close to spraying bucks! lol

Emily

BlueSkyAcresRabbitry wrote:
I have a question, I have all my purebred bucks at stud fees (Bruce is $15) but what should I have Sippi's stud fee at? I don't want to ask too much or too little; and we can't get POTL (pick of the litter) so yea....

Emily
I have no idea what stud fees should be - sorry. I don't stud out my bucks and I am not fond of the practice. Why? Because there is too much chance of a good buck catching something from a doe that maybe I would have missed in checking her over.

I know plenty of breeders who will do this...I just am not one who does....so I don't know what the fees tend to be.

You might want to ask other breeders at your next show - I would think the fee would partly depend upon the buck himself, how many wins he has - plus how many other bucks of the same breed are available and what their quality is, etc.

Good luck...wish I could be of more help.

Peg

It was an ALL youth show! there was only a total of 100-104 rabbits. Mostly it was just one club that was showing, so not a lot of people. There's a show in April hosted by Sippi's mom's club that we may go too. See if Sippi will be able to breed w/her by then, etc.

Is breeding back to a parent common in rabbits?

Bo B Bunny wrote:

This type of inbreeding can be useful when developing a new breed or variety, when attempting to identify recessive genes in your herd, or to develop a line when the two rabbits are of outstanding type.

It's something I don't recommend for beginners because of inbreeding depression (illnesses, lack of vitality, conformation defects, and breeding difficulties). This is especially a risk in breeds with limited gene pools.

Pam

TinysMom wrote:

I have no idea what stud fees should be - sorry. I don't stud out my bucks and I am not fond of the practice. Why? Because there is too much chance of a good buck catching something from a doe that maybe I would have missed in checking her over.

I know plenty of breeders who will do this...I just am not one who does....so I don't know what the fees tend to be.

You might want to ask other breeders at your next show - I would think the fee would partly depend upon the buck himself, how many wins he has - plus how many other bucks of the same breed are available and what their quality is, etc.

Peg

I agree that the risk of VD and expense to treat the entire herd after it has spreadis not worth the stud fees. I've seen too many cases of vent disease on the show table to ever recommend someone studding their rabbits out.

I also know of many cases of individuals "stealing" breedings with topbucks at conventions. The owners of the bucks don't realized theirstud was used until they discover a raging case of syphilis shortly after the big show.

If you do lend your buck out, be certain to carefully examine the doe's genitals for any signs of vent disease. But do be aware that some may not be showing symptoms.

Pam

I have only lent my bucks to a few people. These are breeders who I have KNOWN for YEARS. I see their rabbits all the time at shows and am happy with their condition. I do it to help them out. Actually, their is a youth breeder of Dutch that is doing VERY well and her best rabbit that was in the running for Dutch Rabbit of the Year is from my best buck.

A recent breeding I did was for a wooly breeder (I've known her for 12 years). She lost a line and didn't realize that I have a buck out of that line. Finding this out, I let her use him after seeing the doe.

Frankly, it is up to you, Emily. Remember, don't put your bucks at risk. There are other factors as well as health. Your buck could get bit bad and you may not be able to show him. I would, as a practice, not put breeding fees up on your site. If a situation arises (someone asks you) take it from there.

Sharon

Congratulations!!!

I don't usually let others breed to my bucks except for a couple of friends that

I trust. I don't want to take the chance with my bucks.

Roger

Interesting stuff! Thanks for the answer. Maybe we can have a thread regarding this sometime and more detailed info on breeds and stuff...... like in your spare time!!:big wink:

pamnock wrote:
Bo B Bunny wrote:

This type of inbreeding can be useful when developing a new breed or variety, when attempting to identify recessive genes in your herd, or to develop a line when the two rabbits are of outstanding type.

It's something I don't recommend for beginners because of inbreeding depression (illnesses, lack of vitality, conformation defects, and breeding difficulties). This is especially a risk in breeds with limited gene pools.

Pam

TinysMom wrote:

Peg

That's something I've never thought of! Thanks Peg! I'll be sure to ask around as I defnitley don't want my bucks coming down with Vent Disease or sumthing like that. OK thanks!

BBB, the doe he met isn't his mom, not related to him as far back as his four-generation pedigree goes....but the doe is from the same breeder, so comparing their pedigrees will be happening if he were to breed with her...cuz I don't want to inbreed, etc.

Oh woops! Sorry I put "sippi's mom's club" I meant to say Sippi's girlfriend's mom's club...lol. I knew I was misisng something in there! My bad! :shock:

Thanks Pam, and Starlight. Now I'm not sure I'll even have my bucks out at stud fees. Our doe Willow was bred with a buck that wasn't ours, but the breeder takes excellent care of her bunnies so we know the buck doesn't have VD.

Emily

forgot to add, Thanks RAL! And thanks everyone! I'm hoping my camera will work today (or I'll have to knock some sense into it!) and I can take pictures of them w/ their ribbons and I'll upload them. I'll see if I can my mom's boyfriend's camera as it WORKS. lol

Emily

Ok, tomorrow if I have enough time, I'll take pics of them and their wins! But otherwise it'll be on Sunday. I will probly have tons of h-work tomorrow since I didn't go to school today, but if I have enough time I'll do that. I can't do it on Friday, cuz I have a 4-H Meeting.

Emily

Latest posts

Back