Today is the day

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LuvMyRabbits

Reaction score
:nerves1Just did this a few weeks ago with Spirit but that isnt helping my level of nervousness at this time..Everyone please keep him in your thoughts for a quick recovery and a safe return home to his family =)

Anything different I should do for after a neuter?? or is it basically the same as when Spirit got spayed?

Shadow is not a big water drinker ( well not in comparison to Spirit ) how much water should I make sure he has after surgery?? I will probally have to syringe him some just to make sure he stays hydrated.

Also asking the vetabout the zithromax when I go..I have the rabbit safe antibiotic sheet printed out so I can ask her about the dosing..

:pray:prayers for a quick recovery :pray:

KoReY

Good luck for Shadow :)

Generally neuters are a lot more easy going than spays because it is not invasive surgery. Obviously you need to keep an eye for infections and he will need pain meds after but he should return to normal very quickly.

I personally never syringed any of mine water, just enticed them with flavoured waters. Syringing can stress them out and especially if they are a bit dopey after the GA it can be a bit risky, I think.

Unless you really fear him dehydrating after surgery, I'd agree with Flashy - the syringing would probably be quite stressful.

I'm sure things will go smoothly - had my buck neutered at 11mos.and he was quiet for the day we brought him home, but by the next day, he was his old self (well, not quite ALL his old self, lol) - the 4mos.old we just had neutered acted like he hadn't even paid the vet a visit - disgraceful! (his sis is sure glad he did, though, haha).

Well, with Metacam (meloxicam) as a take-home post-op pain med, hydration is really important. I would do the "skin tent" test to see if he's dehydrated and only syringe him water if the skin takes a long time to go back to normal. It may be good to add a drop of vanilla to his water to entice him to drink more. Good luck!

Shadow is home and doing well..he nibbled a little bit of kalewhen he saw Spirit eating, but other than that I havent seen him eat much..he wouldnt take a piece of bananna I tried to give him and thats unlike him..but I suppose its to be expected considering what a long stressful day hes had. Just glad he is home so I can keep a close eye on him =) gonna just let him rest tonight, maybe take some post op pics to post tomorrow..

As far as the zithromax goes she did write me another script for it I havent filled it yet but the script says this: ( they each have their own script with one refill )

Zithromax oral suspension

40mg1ml

1ml sid for 21days

I showed her the sheet from the rabbit safe antibiotics site and she said that the 1ml was just the formulation she was using. She asked me about their appetite while they were on it and I told her that it was normal and that according to the website they were being underdosed and that the week wasnt long enough..so she said try a 3week course :expressionlessBut she didnt change the dosing from what I see on the script..they are still supposed to take 1ml a day for 3weeks.. it seems to me that less for longer would be more likely to build up a resistance to the antibiotic??

It took me so long to type this out Shadow is now chowin down on a big ol' piece of kale which makes me happy. Spirit is outside his cage eating and when he saw her eating he started to =) shes such a good encourager..shes trying to find a way to bust him out of the cage and groom him through the bars lol

So glad hes home where he belongs :hugsquish:I woulda never thought these rabbits would have stolen my heart like they have but I definitley dont regret it =))

I'm glad that Shadow is eating

The same thing happened to me with the zithromax ; some vets do not want to listen

Recently since we've had some issues with that kid version suspension of zithromax I am going to try to get people to have their vets prescribe it in tablet form or mixed in a suspension less sweet and intense than the kid version from the pharmacy

I'm not sure what you should do. if you give that suspension in the correct dosage you may have loss of appetite and GI issues; if you give the 40 mg/per day I believe that we determined in another post that Shadow was over 2.2 lbs.

you could give a larger dosage for 2 weeks instead of 3 but even then you may not have enough and if the bunny has GI issues then you would have to tell the vet about it.

:dunno::sad:let me think about it and hopefully we'll get some other opinions..........

Today he is doing well..he has eaten some kale and romaine lettuce and a small piece of banana..he is alert and constantly tryin to bust out of the cage so he's feelin pretty good..Just gave him his dose of the metacam, so he shouldnt be in much pain..I do however have a concern..I changed the blanket in his cage from the one I put in yesterday before taking him to the vets office and there is not one piece of poop in there :?:tears2:I took the blanket out and shook it and everything and not one piece! I know I read somewhere that sometimes it takes a bit for their system to get going again..but how long before I should get concerned?? Yesterday and this morning I let him eat as much lettuce as he could ( soaked in water ) to make sure he would have something to get his belly goin again..butnot seeing anything yet..He went in yesterday morning around 10 am so it has been since then that hes went.

A trick I use is giving them toys that smell of another rabbit and put them in their cage (which works well), or if your girl is able to get to his cage when she is running around maybe let her out near him because he will probably feel the need to scent and mark his territory.

I know you are not supposed to let rabbits out for exercise after a neuter but when any of mine have not pooped within 24 hours I tend to let them out for a little amble around.

That's the order I normally try to get them going in.

The fact he is eating is good because once it's going in it has to come out. Sometimes when they feel rough they will eat the poos they normally leave (i.e. they eat not just the cecals) so he may have done this overnight.

Well I posted that last post about 20 minutes to soon because I just went over to see him and there were poops everywhere!!!! ( I am laughing at myself for being amazed at the amount of poop..but it definitley was impressive :blushan:) Poor guy had been waiting to do that and I'm sure he's feelin about a pound lighter now:p

Thanks for the advice Flashy although I didnt need to do any of those things this time its great to know for future reference ( I definitley plan on having more bunnies )

I've never been so happy to see poop in my life :time:

Ha ha. Aren't they just wonderful at causing worry for absolutely no reason at all :p

i'm really glad he has produced so much for you :D

Whew! Sounds like his recovery is going well.

I am agreeing with angieluv that the syrupy zithromax is what can cause GI slowdown in some bunnies. Sorry that your vet is not being very cooperative. You're right that a low dose for a long time will be more likely to build up resistance. I think you could do 1.5mL a day for 2 weeks, but of course that would be bad if the vet found out or if something went wrong. It's a hard decision at this point.

tonyshuman wrote:
I think you could do 1.5mL a day for 2 weeks, but of course that would be bad if the vet found out or if something went wrong. It's a hard decision at this point.

I was thinking of doing just that..using 1.5ml a day for 2 weeks..they were just on it for a full week so I'm not to comfortable with a 3week course @ 1ml a day, that being said I would'nt want to give them much more than 1.5ml a day either just because of how they may react to it.

The vet looked at the papers from the website and said herself that their weight would put them at about 3ml a day..but then turned around and perscribed them 1:Xthen she asked me how long of a course they were on the last time, and I reminded her that it was a week course and she said.." oh yeah thats not long enough" well..you are the one who said it was the first time!!! ugh!:pullhair: I am glad however that she isnt giving me a hard time about writing the scriptsfor the zithromax I will just be happy to get this problem resolved..now I have 2 scripts that will be $25.00 each and then when they need a refill thats another $25.00 a piece so I'm thinkin about $100.00 by the time its over and done with so I'm hoping it works!! ( and I wont count the $25 for the weeks course which "oh yeah wasnt long enough " :expressionless)

KoReY

Now I am going tomake everything more complicated
Are the bottles mixed already ?

If not I would call the vet and try to get tablets because of all the sugar in that kid version.
of course I usedit on babette at a lower dose and didn't have bad side effects but.. Sorry to mix you up more

I have been where you are at one time and totally undestand the aggravation and anxiety of this...:(

angieluv wrote:
Now I am going tomake everything more complicated
Are the bottles mixed already ?

If not I would call the vet and try to get tablets because of all the sugar in that kid version.
of course I usedit on babette at a lower dose and didn't have bad side effects but.. Sorry to mix you up more

I have been where you are at one time and totally undestand the aggravation and anxiety of this...:(

I called the pharmacy to see if there was any other thing that they could mix the zithromax with that wasnt as sweet and sugary as what they were using, I explained to her the situation about the rabbits and their sensitive stomachs..( I'm sure there are children that cant have high sugary things due to medical issues etc right ? ) she said something about it could be mixed with a mint flavoring that may not be as sweet or sugary but that they didnt have any at that time..have you ever heard of this?? I'm going to call around to a few pharmacys and see what they say.

The script is not filled yet for either of them ( due to the neuter costs from yesterday it will probally be a few more days until I can get it filled..not to long though ) so I guess I could call the vet and ask for the tablets.. but can you tell me what dosage etc I should be looking for so I can make sure shes giving them enough to do the same 3 week treatment ( although I have decided to do 1.5ml a day for 2 weeks ) how would I mix the tablets ?? To do the treatment this way I would need some help to make sure I am doing it correctly but am definitley willing to try if it is better for them =))

Ok..just called a few more pharmacys..one said that the zithromax can be mixed with water instead of the stuff that they mix it with at the pharmacy?? He was talking about the powder form. I'm not sure if that is the form that the script is for

Zithromax oral suspension

40mg1ml

1ml sid for 21days

Is that for the powder?? He said that it can be mixed with water and that the sugar is in the actual powder itself and not the stuff that they mix it with..that doesnt sound quite right to me :?

The other pharmacy said that they dont even make 40mg that it only comes in either 100 or 200 and told me to go to a petstore to find what I needed as far as making it less sugary for them.... lol what???

Goodness, the vet sounds like she had a ditzy moment or something. I can just assume that she's worried about doing anything other than what she learned in vet school, and with the 1 week course we'll give her the benefit of the doubt and say it was a mistake. How frustrating!

Latest posts

Back