Toby nibbled some chocolate! :(

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarisaAndToby

Reaction score
I had a Cadbury Cream Egg on my chair and forgot about it, Toby nibbled off the top of it before I noticed. He really had a very small amount of it, probably the surface area of two thumbnails. It's not a high quality chocolate by any means... do you think he'll be okay?

What should I watch out for, is there anything I should do in the mean time, and when will I know that he's out of the woods? I'm really kicking myself for this... I feel awful and will never forgive myself if something happens to him because of my thoughtlessness...

I don't think there is anything wrong with chocolate. I could be very wrong but I hope I'm not - We trained dudley with tiny bits of fudge! He just loves it. Nothing has ever happened to Dudley apart from do everything we say so he can get his favourite treat. Poe has also gotten into some bits of my chocolate and nothing has happened.

I could be wrong though in which case we have been doing much worse things than you!

Edit:
I just looked up some stuff on chocolate in bunnies and apparently it can be deadly. Dudley has been around 3 years and has never had 1 medical issue so I guess there are different levels for each animal. He would only get the tiniest bit though.

But once again, I am not an expert. I'm sure someone on here will tell me off for letting my bunnies eat chocolate! I won't do it anymore I swear! :(

T

Chocolate is actually toxic for rabbits just like it is for dogs... So definitely try not to give him anymore!

He probably had the equivalent of like two M&Ms worth of chocolate, so not very much at all but I'm still really worried.

To be fair my mum fully trained Dudley so I'm going to go ahead and lay the blame on her. Dudley would get even less that than, so maybe in tiny amounts it can be digested better. He certainly doesn't get any anymore because he is fully trained, so I will be making sure it stays that way now!

I honestly thing your bunny will be fine though. I know it is toxic for dogs but I have friends who dogs have gotten into a present or an easter stash and stuffed their face and they were as happy as larry with no medical problems ever. And I am talking giant Toblerone. The dog is fat I'll just say that :p

Sometimes it just happens and it is no ones fault because you can't be everywhere at once.

T

MarisaAndToby wrote:
Chocolate is actually toxic for rabbits just like it is for dogs... So definitely try not to give him anymore!

He probably had the equivalent of like two M&Ms worth of chocolate, so not very much at all but I'm still really worried.

Just observe him. And the best way to tell if a bunny's tummy is upset due to the chocolate is thru his poo. Just keep checking to see if it stays formed. The chocolate should have passed by now because rabbits digestive tract is pretty fast.

Don't beat yourself up. Just be careful next time where you lay your Cadbury egg. It happens.

K :)

Well he's eating hay right now pretty vigorously right now so that's a positive I guess. He ate it sometime about an hour ago so I'm hoping that it won't bother him too terribly bad.

MarisaAndToby wrote:
Well he's eating hay right now pretty vigorously right now so that's a positive I guess. He ate it sometime about an hour ago so I'm hoping that it won't bother him too terribly bad.

Excellent that he's vigorously eating hay. This will help with clearing his system. Smart bunny. He knows what he needs to do. And he probably also sensed your concern. They do that. So just observe him for the day. I would. I'm sure he will be fine. If there is no reaction within 24 hours, Toby will be fine. It's very strange, how reports say chocolate is bad for dogs and rabbits, and any other animals, which is true, but they never say how much. So it is an individual thing.

He's bunny flopping right now, and everything I've ever learnt about rabbits says that they only do that when they're relaxed and comfortable .... ugh I'm worried sick.

Stop worrying Mom. Sounds like he's over the chocolate and relaxing. Don't let your guilty conscience burden you. He's fine. If he's flopping he's happy.

Was it milk chocolate? It's not as bad. The darker the chocolate the worse it is for pets. Glad he's ok, so far so good. And don't beat yourself up. Everyone forgets something (like when I left a loaf of cinnamon bread on the countertop and my old rotti ate the entire thing!!!). It happens :)

A couple of weeks ago I dropped a sixlet and looked and looked and couldn't find it. Scamper found it within a minute of entering the room and had no ill effects.

I wouldn't worry about it Marisa :) A cadbury cream egg is like 99% sugar, Theres not even enough real chocolate in them to call it chocolate :p Now if it was a lindor chocolate, that would be of concern.

Toyabrooke - Just because your bunny is 3 and not showing signs, doesnt mean offering the fudge didn't cause internal issues. The toxic effects of chocolate can severly damage the kidneys/liver.

When bunnys (or other animals) eat enough chocolate to cause concern, its always a good idea to push fluids to help flush the toxins out of their system (hay wont help flush the kidneys, so lots of water!) Then check on them in a week or so with a blood pannel to check bodily functions. If the ammount of chocolate was high quality or a larger amount its worth a vet visit asap!

Yeah the cadbury cream egg is a low grade milk chocolate so it isn't as bad as a good quality dark chocolate which is a purer form of chocolate than milk.

Sounds like he is doing ok tho.

Watermelons wrote:
Toyabrooke - Just because your bunny is 3 and not showing signs, doesnt mean offering the fudge didn't cause internal issues. The toxic effects of chocolate can severly damage the kidneys/liver.

Good thing our vet is a good friend and lives down the road!

Edit: I mean in your suggestions to get him checked with a vet - It is quite handy having a very on call almost always hehe :p

T

Well just to quickly update it's been almost 24 hours and he's eating, drinking, peeing and pooping fine. So, like all of you said, nothing to worry about. I definitely won't be making that mistake again!

MarisaAndToby wrote:
Well just to quickly update it's been almost 24 hours and he's eating, drinking, peeing and pooping fine. So, like all of you said, nothing to worry about. I definitely won't be making that mistake again!

Glad to hear all is well.

Latest posts

Back