Toby is off to the vet after work....

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snuggys Mom

Reaction score
Toby has been leaving a lot of cecotropeslately. I've had to wash his butt every few days.Yesterday, I came home and immediately knew something waswrong. The smell hit me when I opened the door.

Now the stools are softer and less like cecotropes, but not quitediarrhea. He's still eating and drinking, but I'm taking himin anyway.

The smell is REALLY bad, like skunk spray.

I'll post an update tonight.

Has he been eating anything different? Have you used any new cleaners or anything? Just a few thoughts.

Let us know how it goes at the vet's!

No, nothing is different. Bless his heart. I can tell he doesn't feel well.

A few weeks ago, he passed aHUGE mushy poop. Idon't know how he passed it. I should have taken him inthen.Hepassed another large oneyesterday, though not as big as the first.

[font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]Coccidia in the Intestines, Liver[/font]

[font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]By Jeffrey R. Jenkins, DVM
http://www.drexotic.com
[/font]

[font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]We seem to spend a lot of time inthe clinic talking to rabbit owners and referring veterinarians aboutcoccidia. Coccidia are commonly found in rabbits, but only rarely causedisease. As a result they are poorly understood by the rabbit owner,breeder and veterinarian alike. So much so that a local Humane Societyshelter once euthanized all rabbits that were found to have theparasite, not knowing that a majority of normal, healthy rabbits arecarriers. [The shelter has since changed its policy.-Ed.] Findingcoccidia in a fecal parasite examination may not even indicate a needfor therapy. The aim of this article is to give you a betterunderstanding of coccidia. I have included some scientific names forthose who are interested in the more technical end of things. Don't letthem throw you, however, because the underlying message is prettysimple: Prevention depends on keeping rabbits in hygienic conditionsand avoiding infected feces, or food and water contaminated with feces.New rabbits, especially those with an unknown past, should bequarantined for at least 30 days before they are introduced to otherrabbits.[/font]

[font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]Coccidia are microscopic,one-celled protozoal parasites that affect the intestinal tract andliver of rabbits as well as other animals. Coccidia are the most commonparasites of the rabbit's gastrointestinal tract and a common cause ofillness in young rabbits.[/font]

[font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]All rabbit coccidia are members ofa single family, Eimeria. There are 12 species of rabbit coccidiareported to infect rabbits, but only a very few of these are importantfrom a disease standpoint and, then, the rabbit's immune system mayhave to be compromised, or two or more species of coccidia present tocreate a disease situation. Therefore, the precise roles of thedifferent species of coccidia in causing disease are not clearlyunderstood. While, the presence of only a few coccidia oocyst (thestage shed in the feces of the rabbit) in a fecal parasite examinationdoes not rule out a diagnosis of coccidiosis, neither does it confirmthe diagnosis, since many healthy rabbits are infected to somedegree.[/font]

[font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]Only one species, E. stiedae whichparasitizes the liver, is found outside the intestinal tract. E.stiedae may be found in any large groups of rabbits, from rabbitry tofoster home. In mild infections there may be no symptoms or there maybe only mild to moderate retardation of growth, but the disease may befatal, especially in young rabbits. Heavily infected rabbits show signsrelated to the interference of liver function and blockage of bileducts. These rabbits stop eating and become debilitated; eitherdiarrhea or constipation may be noted late in the disease. Occasionallya rabbit's abdomen may be enlarged and the skin may appear to have ayellow coloration. X-rays may show that the liver is enlarged and fluidmay have accumulated in the abdomen. Blood tests will confirm that theliver is damaged and suggest the diagnosis of hepatic (liver)coccidiosis.[/font]

[font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]Confirmation of the disease isbased on finding oocysts in a fecal or bile samples. Numerous drugshave been used to prevent and treat E. stiedae. The sulfa drugs appearto be the most effective. We recommend sulfamethazine and trimethoprimpotentiated sulfa drugs. All the rabbits in an infected rabbitry orhousehold must be treated until the disease has run its course. Themajor role of these drugs is to control the organism until the rabbits'immunity develops, and immunity resulting from mild infections may belifelong.[/font]

[font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]The most important species ofintestinal coccidia are E. perforans, E. magna, E. media and E.irresidua, although the exact species involved may not be as importantas the health status of the rabbit. Rabbits become infected byingesting feces containing the coccidia oocyst. This can happen whenthe rabbit cleans its feet or fur that has been contaminated with thefeces of another, infected rabbit. Although rabbits are cecotrophic(eaters of their cecotropes or soft feces), it is generally acceptedthat cecotropes do not contain infectious oocyst. [/font]

[font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]Clinical signs of intestinalcoccidiosis vary widely depending on the age of the rabbit, theorganism involved, the degree of infection and the relativesusceptibility of the animal (affected by age, stress, diet, etc.).Signs are more often seen in young rabbits with their immature immunesystems. Weight loss, mild intermittent to severe diarrhea which maycontain mucous or blood, and resulting dehydration may be seen. Animalswith severe diarrhea may develop intussusception, a blockage of theintestines caused by a telescoping of the bowel on itself.[/font]

[font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]Deaths caused by coccidiosis aremost often attributed to dehydration and secondary bacterialinfections. Treatment and prevention of intestinal coccidiosis are asfor hepatic disease. Currently there are no vaccines available againstcoccidiosis.[/font]

[font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]However, for the rabbit ownerthere is this good news: Many rabbits diagnosed with coccidiosis don'thave coccidia at all! A common mistake made by veterinarians notfamiliar with rabbits is to confuse Cyniclomyces guttulatulus, arabbit-specific Ascosporogenous yeast in the Saccharomyces family andpart of the normal cecal flora of rabbits, with coccidia on fecalexaminations.[/font]

A high cocci countgenerally isn't a surpise with mushy droppings, however, the cocciovergrowth is often a secondary symptom of another problem.

Pam

I'm going to have him thoroughly checked out. I readthatcoccidia can be a symptom of liver problems.That's scary.

He's never eaten much hay and that doesn't help matters. I'll have them check his teeth, too.

Liver coccidia is the most harmful species, but thankfully, not as common as the intestinal species.

Pam

The vet didn't find any sign of parasites in the sample they took.

She said there was lots of bacteria, though. She put Toby on Albon for 10 days.

She also shaved his butt for me! That will help with the "cling-ons".

So an intestinal infection or bacterial overgrowth? Good thing you took him to the vet!

What does Toby think of his bare nether regions?

Poor baby. Keep us posted on how he's feeling :)

Thanks, everyone.

The vetsaid there could be undetected parasites, butthis medicine will take care of any that might bethere.

There were significantly fewer droppings this morning, so the meds must already be working.

The vet gave him the first dose yesterday and he lapped it up for her,but it was a different story with me this morning! I keep hisbottom trimmed really short, so I guess he doesn't mind having itshaved.

Poor Toby!

Feel better soon, littleguy!
pet.gif
(And you eat your hay! You don't want your momma to worry!)

sas :) and the gang :bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance:

Albon was wonderful for Cinnabunny. She startedto beg for the butterscotch flavored medicine after the first two days.We noticed a change in her poop and behavior after the first 24 hours.

Good luck with your lovely bunny! :bunny5

Bad news - Toby has gone from one extreme to theother. I am afraid of GI stasis now. His droppingsdried up and started getting smaller. They were tiny thismorning.

I loaded him up with his meds, pumpkin, and pedialyte this morningbefore work. I also gave him another tummy massage, which heloved.

I ran to the store and got his favorites - cilantro, parsley andromaine and left some of each in the cage. Ally just calledand said he'd eaten almost all of the veggies, so that'sgood.

Ally is home today and keeping a close eye on him.

If you pray, please pray for my baby boy, Toby. I can not lose him.

Thanks,
Laura

Oh no! Poor Toby!

At least he ate his veggies. That's a good sign.When Loki gets like that he usually just needs more wet veggies andpumpkin for hydration, and then he's back to normal. Do youhave simethicone at home, just in case?

Get better soon, Toby!

Yay Toby! Keep that gut moving. :elephant:

I meant to mention elsewhere that for future reference, Pipp won't eatpumpkin unless I dry it out in a paper towel and warm it up abit. She'll start eating it then, and will gobble it up fromthat point on even right out of the can. Until she doesn'tget it for awhile. Then she forgets. Might be worth a try.

It sounds like you're doing all the right things. :)

Hope he's right as rain soon!

sas :)and the gang of five :bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance:

Toby had a few more poops in the litter box this morning.

I've been syringing pumpkin, meds and pedialyte and giving him tummy massages.

He's still eating up his veggies, but not much else.

I'm glad it's almost the weekend so I can be there and monitor him around the clock.

Laura

Back