Toby got bit... again.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kherrmann3

Reaction score
Sammi (our recently-adopted girl bunny) was out for her playtime a few nights ago. It was Monday-Wednesday, but I can't remember the exact day. She was pulling on Toby's cage, and he must have been nudging it. I didn't have it as secure as I thought it was, and he got out/she got in. I heard the scuffle right away and went to investigate. There was hair everywhere. I separated the two and put Sammi back in her pen. I checked every little lump of fur that was on the ground, but none of them had any skin attached. The last time Toby got hurt, Miss Emma (rehomed) took a chunk of skin off with the fur. Then, I felt everybun over to look for bite marks. I couldn't find anything on either rabbit. Last night, I was petting Toby to make sure he was calm during the thunderstorm we had, and I felt something.

Here is some info on his wound:
- There is one large(r) one, and a smaller, round one next to it.
- They are about the size of a small kidney bean when both are combined.
- It has scabbed over completely, with no red edges.
- It feels somewhat squishy underneath. I can't tell if it's swelling or pus under the scab. It could just be "puckered" from healing.

Should he go to the vet this afternoon? I won't be able to make it there until 3:15pm, so I would have to have Will set up the appointment. Does anyone think it could be infected? Like I said, there are no red edges or drainage. It looks like a normal, dry wound to me, but the "squishiness" underneath has me worried.

Please respond ASAP, because Will is going to call the vets around 8:00-9:00 (I don't remember when they open...)

Thanks!

ETA: He is acting normal. Not listless, eating normal, output normal, etc. The bite is on his left shoulder/neck area. No blood was found when I checked him over for bites on the night it happened, and no dried blood was in his fur.

I'd say just to be on the safe side I'd bring Toby to the Vet. I'm sure someone with more experience with these types of sores will give you more advice.

I sure hope he's ok. Who's the instigator in these scuffles?

Susan :pray:

Yep, I'd say make a vet appointment. Don't want to take any chances that there could be any infection.

I don't know who started this fight, but I guess they both ended it. Toby got a nip in on Sammi before the air-borne fur settled.

We just got back from the vet. She had to remove a bunch of Toby's fur and a bit of necrotic tissue from over the wound. No pus! Yay! Now, Toby has a stupid hair cut. The hair just grew in from the last fight!

:( *sigh*

1000474.jpg

1000475.jpg

Ouch! Poor sweetie! I guess Toby doesn't have a lot of luck with the ladies...

It's good that you took him in to get the wound looked at. From the description before, I wouldn't have recommended to take him in, but now I know that it was the right thing to do! I didn't reply because I saw it too late. We're always learning around here. New rule: squishiness under wound=take them in!

I hope it heals up nicely for him!

kherrmann3 wrote:
I don't know who started this fight, but I guess they both ended it. Toby got a nip in on Sammi before the air-borne fur settled.

We just got back from the vet. She had to remove a bunch of Toby's fur and a bit of necrotic tissue from over the wound. No pus! Yay! Now, Toby has a stupid hair cut. The hair just grew in from the last fight!

:( *sigh*

1000474.jpg

1000475.jpg
way more than I expected
keep it clean

Honestly, the pictures look worse than it really is. The bigger wound is smaller than a kidney bean, and it is bloody because the vet pulled the dead skin off and cut it. It had "healed" to the dead skin, so there was very little blood. It's like when you get a cut on your finger at an angle. The flap closes over the wound and stops it from bleeding a ton. Once the flap is gone, it looks 10x worse.

Thanks for responding, everyone! :)

I should probably say that Toby is on antibiotics for 2 weeks, too. He gets:
- SSD cream on his face 3x a day for at least 7 days
- Enrofloxacin 2x day (.65) for 14 days
- Metacam 1x day (.16) for about 3 days

He's ticked off about his goofy haircut (I think). He hides in his little pink condo and pouts. He scampers around like normal for his run time, but when I'm in the room, I get a very distinct bunny-butt. His scabs look fine and even fell off (healthy skin underneath). It still feels lumpy, though. I think it's just thickened skin from healing (scar tissue). Other than being really mad at me, I think he's fine. :) Craisins heal all wounds.

Awww poor little Toby. :( He should have a bunny date with Dolla. She likes everybun! Except Marley... :p

I don't know if it's Toby being the sassy one this time. A lot of the time when he's "lounging", he has his butt right up against her cage like he's going, "Neener neener neener!" at her, or something! Such a little butt!

kherrmann3 wrote:
I don't know if it's Toby being the sassy one this time. A lot of the time when he's "lounging", he has his butt right up against her cage like he's going, "Neener neener neener!" at her, or something! Such a little butt!

LOL Sammi's like "No teasin! I'll geet wu for dat lil Toby, wu'd bettr wach it!"

Latest posts

Back