To vaccinate? Or not to? That is MY question.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BunMommaD

Reaction score
I hope this is the right place to put this...

I'm just wondering who has vaccinated thier rabbits and if so which vaccines and why you chose too?

This is our first bun and we have always had dogs... So we were kind of surprised when our vet said he didn't routinely vaccinate bunnies... It makes sense they don't go outside (well ours won't) and so therefore aren't really exposed to anything and we keep our dogs up to date with thier vacs and flea and tick stuff... But at some point we will prob want to go on vaca or something and take our babies along and so I guess there could be a possibility with travel for Cookie to catch something if not vaccinated?

We are just kind of torn with which way we want to go...

So we need your opinions!
GO!!!! :big wink:

There really are no routine vaccinations for rabbits in North America. In the UK, there are diseases that have been introduced to the wild rabbit populations which domestic rabbits can get, there are vaccinations for these. The only thing I can think of that would be an issue would be rabies, but that is rare and since it is transferred by bites the rabbit probably won't survive a bite anyway.

Fleas and ticks could be an issue and you can get stuff for that which is rabbit safe (talk with your vet about it). Mosquitoes could also be an issue, so using netting would be a good idea.

You can talk with your vet, but keeping your rabbit away from other animals when you travel and not letting them run around on the grass (unless you know it is totally safe) would go far to prevent a problem.

I should also add that parasites would also be an issue when you travel. You don't know what animals would be around in an area and what they might carry. If you have to let the rabbit on the ground, you might want to cover the ground with a tarp or something. Getting a fecal test when you get back could be a good idea just in case especially if you do let your rabbit out on the ground.
If you stay in hotels or with friends and your rabbit doesn't go outside, then it is not really an issue.

I've never heard of vaccinating rabbits in the US. I even adopted a bunny from the shelter and she hadn't been vaccinated for anything, only spayed.

Latest posts

Back