To Snip or not to Snip.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gezabella09

Reaction score
So my Chop is getting near to the age where i think he would be due a trip to the vet to have his bits chopped off.

And I'm wondering does it really need to be done.

He is only ever going to be a only child as i couldn't imagine loving another bunny as much as i do him and as silly as it sounds wouldn't want to share myself with another bun. Also he isn't humping anything or spraying at all. He's the best tempered bun ever (apart from the trip to the vet to get his shots and he thumped for the first and only time.)

Over the last 5 weeks i've been off work sick and Chop and i have really turned a corner and he sits in my lap for hours on end letting me pet him till he flops out in my lap fast asleep. He runs up to the edge of the cage when i come into the room to be taken out and I'm really beginning to understand what a lot of you mean about being bunny mad.

The top and bottom of it is I really don't want him having a bad time with the operation or it going wrong and him hating me or having to win his trust back and i think we are getting along fine with him as we are.

If he continues being the good mannered Chop he is is there any point in having him done?

:biggrin2::biggrin2:

Are you able to see his testicles? If you are able to pick him up and flip him over, you will be able to see if they are "dangling" or not. Or you can sometimes see them if he's standing on his hind legs. If they are descended then he is ready.

In my opinion, I feel it is kinder to the bunny to spay/neuter. Because of how their hormones work, it's like being stuck as a horny teenager forever with no way to relieve your sexual tension. Once his hormones turn on, he's going to want to mate so, so badly, but with no females around, he will be unable to.

I've had quite a few bunnies neutered, and they always recover quickly. A neuter is fairly non-invasive. As long as he has a good painkiller for 3-5 days after the surgery, he should be fine.

Most of the neuters I've had done are eating and acting like normal the night they are brought home from the vets. Also, the younger the bunny, the better they seem to cope with having surgery.

--Dawn

I had the same issue you as just a few weeks ago. Midas is almost 2 and had never sprayed, humped, or been aggressive. I didn't know if I wanted to get him fixed for the same reasons as you. In the end, I decided to get him fixed. I thought about how he probably felt with all that sexual tension and I thought it best. He was up and running the night of the surgery and was back to being 100% normal in three days. He did seem to be "mad" at me for a day or two, but now after 2 weeks he is closer to me then he ever was before. His personality actually improved, even though I thought he was perfect before :] And I dont have to worry about cancer or infections (and if I ever decide to get another bunny, I'm ready)

Hope this helps!

I am in the same boat as well. I trust my vet for basic checkups but for neutering our Lester I am really not sure I trust them to put him under for that.

I mean our boy is nowhere near ready for neutering yet though. I think that yes it is healthier for them but you have to make the decision. You may not be comfortable with putting him under, or worrying if he'll be ok and that is your choice. You have to do what you think is best for your bunny.

momto1 wrote:
You have to do what you think is best for your bunny.
This!

You have to do what you think is best for him, and mostly take yourself out of the equation in this instance.

What is best for him in terms of neutering can differ. Generally for most buns it is kinda to have them neutered, but if they have a medical condition, or you don't have a good rabbit savvy vet, or other reasons then it can be better for them to not be neutered.

You have a longer window with boys to do a neuter because the health risks are less (unspayed does carry a lot of health risks), so you don't have to get him done now, you could wait until he is older if you wanted.

My special guy Sky was quite well behaved when he was unneutered. However, he had an undescended testicle so he was at higher risk of testicular cancer. My vet had never done the operation before on a rabbit, but I trusted him and I knew for Sky's sake I had to have it done. I had a torrid day that day, was in a daze, nearly crashed my car on a dual carriageway, cried loads, etc, but I just kept telling myself I knew I was doing what was best for Sky, even though it went against everything that I wanted for myself. Sky came out of it fine and when he came home he came into the living room and he probably had the best ten days of his life. He was so happy to have so much attention (not just from my, but from my family too) that it then became worth it for me too, to see how happy he was.

Only you can decide what is best for your bun, but as long as you are making the decision based on what is best for him, then you're doing the right thing.

I have a video if you still need it.

I'm having the same problem. I have a rescue rabbit that is estimated about 4 years old. He's a doll, and now lives inside with me after being neglected in an small outdoor hutch for years. My problem is that he does spray, and poo everywhere. He didn't at first.

So I've read that having him neutered may help the litter problem, but I'm worried he may be too old and I'm putting his life at risk at this point.

He's a Holland Lop, and the vet checked him out a couple of months ago and said he was healthy. But it's a tough decision. And I'm the only one in the family that thinks it's an option at all. Granted, I don't mind cleaning up after him, but I do confine him more if I have company just because of the mess.

We have had older at the rescue done. Even females who are older have been done. If the vet is ok with doing it than I wouldn't worry.

Dea wrote:
I'm having the same problem. I have a rescue rabbit that is estimated about 4 years old. He's a doll, and now lives inside with me after being neglected in an small outdoor hutch for years. My problem is that he doe

s spray, and poo everywhere. He didn't at first.

So I've read that having him neutered may help the litter problem, but I'm worried he may be too old and I'm putting his life at risk at this point.

He's a Holland Lop, and the vet checked him out a couple of months ago and said he was healthy. But it's a tough decision. And I'm the only one in the family that thinks it's an option at all. Granted, I don't mind cleaning up after him, but I do confine him more if I have company just because of the mess.

When my rabbits are indoors they stay in the cages so I don't have rabbit proof problems other than pee and poop getting outside the cages.

Don't know if fixing them will guarantee behavior changes. I just put up with their outdoor pooping, spraying and digging. One male is about 2 years old. They let me pick them up and are used to being handled. Only thing is I can only let them out one at a time because they fight instantly when together.

Dea wrote:
I'm having the same problem. I have a rescue rabbit that is estimated about 4 years old. He's a doll, and now lives inside with me after being neglected in an small outdoor hutch for years. My problem is that he does spray, and poo everywhere. He didn't at first.

I agree with what Ali (JadeIcing) said. At our rescue we have older bunnies done.

Why not get a blood panel done to highlight if there are any problems. That way you will know whether or not he is healthy enough to have it done.

The vet says he's healthy. I guess it's just me. And even though it's healthier for them, my main reason is to see if it will help with his spraying in the house. So I feel selfish about it. I will probably go ahead an schedule it though for September. I need to take a vacation day to have it done. Thanks for your input!

Latest posts

Back