To snack or not to snack?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BunnyButter

Reaction score
DSC01617.jpg

Butter loves these. Like, her little 4 lb butt of adorable energy tried to knock me over in her attempt to get these. When that didn't work, she tugged on my sleeves. They happen to be the easiest way to get her into her cage, so she gets a teeny amount once a day. (Which is why this bag has lasted a month.) However, I am almost out of these and may need to buy some more.

So, question to you all knowing, experienced bunny slaves: should I or should I not continue to purchase these treats for my little baby girl? If not, do you have any other recommendations? She doesn't quite jump for joy for veggies like she does for these treats.

*As a note, these do not have any yogurt in them.

Ingredients-
Contains heat-processed wheat flakes, steam-rolled oats, raisins, ground corn, dehydrated banana (banana, coconut oil, sugar), dehydrated alfalfa meal, dehydrated carrots, dried dates, dried apricots, soybean hulls, dehydrated cranberry, dehulled soybean meal, wheat middlings, corn distiller's dried grains with solubles, corn gluten meal, vegetable oil, salt, calcium carbonate, l-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), yucca schidigera extract, dried lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, dried lactobacillus casei fermentation product, dried enterococcus faecium fermentation product, dried bifidobacterium bifidum fermentation product, dried aspergillus oryzae fermentation product, torula dried yeast, sugar, choline chloride, magnesium oxide, potassium sulfate, magnesium sulfate, vitamin A supplement, vitamin E supplement, vitamin D3 supplement, niacin supplement, vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin supplement, d-calcium pantothenate, menadione dimethylpyrimidinol bisulfite, biotin, folic acid, thiamine mononitrate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, zinc sulfate, ferrous sulfate, manganese sulfate, copper sulfate, ethylenediamine dihydriodide, cobalt sulfate and sodium selenite
------------------------------------------------------
I would not feed this to my rabbits. Wheat is a no go, as is corn, and I can't even pronounce all that other stuff, let alone know what it is. Greens make great treats, a sprig of parsley or mint outside normal salad time, or an occasional craisin, small sliver of fresh banana, stuff like that.

General list includes: Wheat flakes, oats, raisins, corn, banana, alfalfa meal, carrots, dates, apricots, soybeans hulls, cranberry, soybean meal, wheat middlings, corn gluten meal, vegetable oil, salt, calcium carbonate, source of vitamin C, scientific terms, torula dried yeast...

About 8% Crude protein, 4.5% crude fat, 11% crude fiber, 14% moisture and about 35 mg/lb Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C).

Does that help? Sorry, I hoped someone had heard of this product.

I would not feed this to my rabbits. Wheat is a no go, as is corn, and I can't even pronounce all that other stuff, let alone know what it is. Greens make great treats, a sprig of parsley or mint outside normal salad time, or an occasional craisin, small sliver of fresh banana, stuff like that.

Well, that certainly answers that question! Haha! Thanks. I really appreciate it!

No prob :) I reread and saw she doesn't really jump for salads, so def try craisins, cut one in half or even quarters for a good treat, you can give 1 or 2 a day since they are so small :)

She does love bananas. In fact, she licked the paper plate I fed her banana slices on for almost 20 minutes. I could try those more.

Yeah, my Samson goes bananas for bananas:D I give her a 1/4in slice every few days, theres a lot of sugar there :D

I have to agree, with that many chemicals it's really not a good idea. If you want a pre-made snack I suggest Oxbow's organic barley buscuits. They make my kids crazy but it's something I wouldn't be afraid to eat because I recognize everything in the list of ingredients.

Plain fruit is also a very good choice. Just keep in mind portions to prevent weight gain. (now if someone could do that for me :p)

I agree that a long list of ingredients is a bad sign, whether for rabbits, humans, or .... Though the last half are vitamins, some of the others are strange, like corn distiller's dried grains with solubles. I wonder if this means from making whiskey?
Rabbits like banana peels almost as well as the actual banana. Just wash the banana before peeling. I eat the banana; Honey gets pieces of the peel.

Definately try craisens. They are a favorite here. He does the same thing with those. He'll tryto knock me over. He'll tug at the bag like a dog haha. He did that onceto my banana peel when I wasn't fast enough with the banana. Apparently I don't feed him enough :p :rollseyes

Nancy McClelland wrote:
Usually as long as it's given in moderation it shouldn't be harmful. What's life without a few pleasures?
Often an apple tastes just as good as a bar of chocolate, and leaves you feeling better after as well :) Why encourage nasty treats when there are tons of healthy, equally tasty alternatives?

MagPie wrote:
XD hahaha I'm sorry but a bar of chocolate tastes way better to me than any apple.

Nothing wrong with moderation.
Interesting Fact- Apple will actually curb a craving for chocolate :)

And frankly, you could drink arsenic in moderation, it'll still kill you :) Our pets have no way of knowing that something we feed them isn't healthy, it's our responsibility to do whats best for them. For example, one ingredient in that ingredient list is know to cause cytotoxicity in liver cells and considerably weaken the immune system. It's never been researched for use in pets, and has been banned for human consumption for serious permanent damage and death. Great right? Not so much. Not even in moderation.

Chocolate is hardly arsenic..... And dark chocolate isn't that bad for you. :rollseyes

I wasn't saying give yourself or your animals any poison. Craisens she could give the bunny or carrots, both have sugar. Sugar isn't good in over load. But ok in moderation.

Magpie I know chocolate isn't arsenic:laugh: (I was looking for a giggling smilie, not this super over-excited one but it'll have to work hah). The point was that everyone says anything in moderation is fine, which clearly isn't true :D A lot of people tend to not do in moderation as well, because our buns give us "the look" and we're like, ooohh kaay 1 more :D

Yes but the analogy between chocolate and nasty treats and arsenic isn't a very good one. And hardly the point. If there is an ingredient that has been shown to be very bad for human health and possible animal health, that should have been mentioned. That shouldn't be eaten. Where as chocolate won't kill you if you have a bar here and there.

There are many things that are ok in moderation, take meat for example. People tend to eat way more meat than they should. But it doesn't mean we shouldn't. The moderation I was talking about is natural treats, which I did mention in an earlier post.

And I am sure once pet owner know about this bad ingredient they won't feed it.

BunnyButter wrote:
So, question to you all knowing, experienced bunny slaves: should I or should I not continue to purchase these treats for my little baby girl? If not, do you have any other recommendations? She doesn't quite jump for joy for veggies like she does for these treats.

*As a note, these do not have any yogurt in them.
Long story short, This is simply a treat, and there is nothing wrong with offering them in moderation. If your girl enjoys them then there is nothing wrong with purchasing them as a simple treat. These treats will not kill you or your rabbit.

However dehydrated fruit or fresh veggies will make an even better treat.

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11218144

Look at the actual ingredients.
Contains heat-processed wheat flakes, steam-rolled oats, raisins, ground corn, dehydrated banana (banana, coconut oil, sugar), dehydrated alfalfa meal, dehydrated carrots, dried dates, dried apricots, soybean hulls, dehydrated cranberry, dehulled soybean meal, wheat middlings, corn distiller's dried grains with solubles, corn gluten meal, vegetable oil

When it comes to food everything before the first oil source, in this case, the vegetable oil, makes up 75% of the food or treat. Leaving the rest a very insignificant amount.

Back