To play or not to play that is the question

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have 2 female dwarf hotots, I've had them for almost a year, they have 2 completely different personalities.
I have to get them out one at a time as they do not get along. 1 loves being out and is starting to want to be on and by us more.
The other knows she's pretty (if that makes sense) she was the submissive before separation, currently her cage is 2' x 4' and 2' tall. She will let me and seems to like me petting her nose through the cage hole, she runs in her hide hole if I open the cage and will push around her bedding and give a look that says do not come in here.
I'm torn between having her come out of her cage and free roaming the hopes that she will warm up to us and become more socialized, which in my mind makes sense. Or do I let her remain in her cage and just try to gain her confidence from there?
Per advise on a breeder site I chose not to have either bunny spayed due to the complications that can occur and there would be no guarantee of change in behavior. However I may consider spaying Esther.

If anyone has had experience with this I would truly appreciate advise. I just want her to be happy!!!! Thank you!

She needs the space of being allowed out of the cage. But it will take time and patience. It is natural for her to hide in her own cage. That is her space. So do not reach in there and pull her out. It will only make her more nervous around you (her 'space' will have been violated).

The way to get her out is to set up an exercise pen around the opening of the cage. This will provide a (temporary) limited space for her to come out and explore. Having the space small will be less intimidating for her. Just leave the pen set up and open the cage door. Let her come out when and if she's ready. If she does, leave her alone. Don't close the cage door but let her always have that retreat back to safety (her cage).

You can sit inside the pen area if you like. Again, when she first ventures out, leave her be. Don't try to pet her even if she puts her paws on you while investigating. This will teach her that you are 'safe.' Eventually you can offer her a treat by hand and work up to petting her.

This is a slow process... at least it is for some shyer rabbits. Just be patient!

In time, you will be able to expand that pen area bit by bit until it is no longer needed.

On a separate note, breeders deal with rabbits quite differently than owners of house rabbits. Spaying absolutely makes a difference and is most beneficial for female rabbits. The incidence of cancer is considerably higher in females left intact. Also, by ridding them of hormones, it increases their potential to bond because those pesky hormones don't interfere with the relationship. Rescues routinely fix all of their rabbits, not just to prevent breeding but to make it easier to bond them.

That said, having your rabbits spayed is not a guarantee that they will bond to each other. That depends on the individual rabbits as to whether they are agreeable. The fact that they don't get along now is not surprising since they are still intact. If you did still want to have a chance of bonding them, they would both do well to be spayed. But if bonding them isn't in your plans, it is still beneficial for their health. You would just need to find a rabbit savy vet...not just one that 'sees' rabbits. Rabbit rescues often have vet references for vets they regularly use for spays and neuters (experienced!). It is the inexperienced that may be more likely to have 'complications.' The savvy vets know what they are doing.

Thank you, that makes a lot of sense and is very helpful and already have an exercise pen that I can set up outside her door. Have a great day.

Latest posts

Back