To heat or not to heat.....that is the question

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

murph72

Reaction score
Ok, now that I have these nest box heaters I find myself worrying about when I should use the darned things.

Here is the dilemma: My AFL Zoe had a litter of four, but only two survived. It is supposed to only get down to 39 degrees for the next couple of days, but I worry about them because there are only two and they were just born this morning (nakie babies). She has TONS of hair in the nest (AFL, go figure, she has lots to spare), but will this and the body heat of only two be warm enough for them?

I guess I really worry because I'm very partial to Zoe. She's a real sweetheart and this is her first litter (as small as it is) that has survived. The first pregnancy had a stuck kit and then the following ones were also dead by the time that one was born. I actually think she mourned them. She's now in the nest box with these two more often than I'm used to. I think she's trying to feed them way more than is necessary. I've caught her checking on them several times today and I usually don't ever find my does in with their kits. So, I want her to win the "Mother of the Year" Award, so perhaps I'm just worried more with her babies that they won't survive than I should be.

So, to heat or not to heat....that is the question. :)

if it sets your mind at ease heat :) we tend to do it for first week by then they are getting fur and we take the heater away however if we get a really cold night then we may put heater on in shed just to raise ambient temp a bit.
usually if there is a couple of babies and lots of hair that is enough to keep them warm.
go with what u feel is right to help litter survive :)

I don't breed but I have raised hundreds of baby cottontails. I keep all babies on supplemental heat until they are fully furred and eyes open. And all my babies are inside at room temperature. I sayyes tothe supplemental heat.

Randy

If you are worried, use the nestbox heaters, especially with only two newbornes. The heater padsdon't get that hot, only warm. They are just meant to suppliment the body heat. Keep an eye on them and if it warms up a lot during the day, you can unplug it...

Thanks for the advice.

I have always raised my bunnies without supplimental heat without an issue, but found that when I started raising the Hollands they were far more touchy. I think I'm starting to question how tough they naturally are now that I have these nest box heaters. I guess I'll go turn on her heater. :) They may be toasty until the morning, but toasty is better than chilly.

Back