To Hay or Not to Hay!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buck Jones

Reaction score
As a neophyte rabbit owner, I purchased hay because I had heard somewhere that rabbits enjoyed it. The feed store sold me alfalfa hay because I did not know I could specify other types at that time. As our herd increased, the use ofalfalfa hay as bedding and food, in addition to pelleted feed, seemed to present no apparent problems

As I became more lagomorph educated, Ichanged over to timothy hay for all the good reasons most of us chose to use that type. I have been using it now for several years and have noticed no ill effects, nor particular problems.

Of late, due to my reading,research, veterinary contacts, and comments made here andon other forums I've begun to mull over and reconsider some of my hereto fore basic assumptions.

HRS, our European friends, our own favorite veterinarian, and people like Kathy Smith,the author of Rabbit Health in the21st Century, have all been promulgating a more natural diet for our pets. When we brought Ernest(ine) to our vet to besexed, for example, he suggested, based upon his most recent research, thatalfalfa hay be the major portion of her diet, supported by pelleted feed because it was more natural and provided prophylacticdental care at the same time. I note that the thread on teeth recently posted here kind of says the same thing.

One of the breeders I most highly respect, one Mr. Rick Stahl has stated that he provides little or no hay for his herd because his research and experience indicates his rabbits receive sufficient protein and fiber from the alfalfa based pelleted food he uses that is manufactured by Purina.He does imply though, that not all pelleted feeds would equally provide the same nutritional characteristics.

If memory serves me correctly, our own Mrs. Pam Nock feeds minimal hay to her stock for reasons of tidiness and her choice of pelleted feed providing adequate nutrition, as well. It appears to me then, that it doesn't matter what vehicle transmits the protein and fiber, as long as it is in fact transmitted. Alfalfa appears to be an excellent choice because rabbits like it, it is relatively inexpensive and, therefore, is also used by pellet manufacturers.

The last time I bought hay, I opted to forego the timothy and bought a mixed grass hay that included alfalfa, timothy and othergrasses. I have noted no particular problems for my buns and it would appear they seemed to enjoy it more for it was consumed more readily.

I was going to buy alfalfa this time, but was introduced to an unusual, albeit expensive, alternative by the feed store personnel. It is a mixture of various hays to include alfalfa that is claimed to be super rich, organically grown, and super-compressed into a 65 pound"block," that when released from its binding expands into the size of two or more regular bales of hay.

At $20.00 per "block," store personnel said it was cost prohibitive for most horse owners but might be economically viable for rabbit owners and the like. They claimed animals simply loved the stuff and that I would not regret the purchase.

It is a deep green/yellow, looks and smells wonderfully, is wrapped tightly in web strapping and is shipped to the feed store on a pallet that is shrink wrapped in plastic. I figured, "What the hay!"(pun intended) and made the purchase, and took the unwieldy package home with me.

My plan is to decrease the amount of pelleted food given to my buns, while increasing the ingestion of alfalfa based hay. I know that rabbits can thrive on alfalfa pellets with little or no hay, so I suspect that they may be able to thrive as well, with additional benefits, by taking the converse route of providing alfalfa hay with little pelleted feed given. As I said at the top of the post, I never noted any apparent problems when I free fed both alfalfa hay and pellets in my early "ignorance," in spite of some of the warnings about overly rich food and excessive cecotrope production.

I will move slowly on this, but have already taken steps in this direction by incorporating daily portions of fruitsand greens for our buns after noting some previous discussions and comments made here on the forum regarding that topic. I give them the latter daily but havenot reduced their pelleted ration because I wanted them to "pork" up for the outside winter weather. As spring approaches I will begin toreduce the amount of pellets fed while watching for any ill effects. It would appear that the inclusion of the fruit and greens has positively affected coats and general well being, but that is a subjective observation I admit. In the least, it certainly has not provided any cause for debilitation that I can observe.

I will keep you informed as my experiment progresses. I apologize for the lengthy post, but I am kind of using it as a sounding board to clarify my own thoughts upon the matter as I type. I hope it is not presumptuous of me to think that some on you may be interested.

Thank you for your patience.

Buck

Buck, I'm VERY intrested to see how this worksout, and was actually about to post my own topic, on this topic... Sohere's my question...

I was actually wondering what hay to use for my boys?

They will be 9 weeks old when they come home in a little over a week.Not knowing a WHOLE bunch about hay, I was told to use Timothy hayafter 6 mos. and alfalfa before that,by our breeder...

I was also told that the alfalfa hay has caused uterine problems by a freind with rabbits????

What do you all suggest?

Lyndsy

I found the post very carefully thought out and well put. Let us know how it goes.

You are correct that I feed minimal hay due to the large number ofrabbits. This requires extra labor, more of a mess on thefloor and hay building up in corners of cages collecting feces, urineand providing unsanitary conditions. Because our barn isheated, it is not necessary for me to provide bedding.

I do provide straw for the baby bunnies to chew on.

I also have not found the lack of hay to be a contributing factor tomucoid enteropathy in rabbits. We had the same number of GIincidents with and without hay.

I certainly believe that the limited pellet diet is a healthy option for pet rabbits.

Lyndsy, alfalfa can contribute to urinary tract problems in olderrabbits due to the high mineral content of the alfalfa.Timothy hay or timothy hay bases pellets are recommended for the olderpet rabbit.

Pam

Well, now, Pam! That throws me a curveI had not considered. Older rabbits! A majority ofmy crew would fall into that category, being three or older.When, age-wise,to you think timothy becomes necessary toreduce urinary tract problems?

Lyndsy, I think Pam has you covered in her response to your question, no?

Buck

Thanks Buck for a fascinating post. When it comesto posts like that the longer the better for me :). I'm always lookingat ways to keep my herd as healthy and happy as possible and preferablyas naturally as possible and I'm very interested in the idea ofincreasing their hay while decreasing their pellets. Please keep usposted as to how it goes and what your conclusions are.

After reading this I think I might try mixing some alfalfa hayinwith their mixed grass hay and giving a few less pellets.

Thanks Pam for your information about alfalfa contributing to problemsof the urinary tract in older rabbits, that's worth knowing for thefuture.

Kate

stones.jpg

"Hay Hay Hay! That's what I say...."

Great Post,Buck!

I,too, was surprised to hearRick andPam'stake on the necessity of hay in a rabbit'sdiet.

As you know, Fauna wasn't given any hay the first 4.5 years of herlife. As a matter of fact, when you rescued herfromher previous home, she didn't even touch it because shedidn't know what it was. Had she everexperienced GIStasis or a problem,the previous ownerwouldn't'veprobably picked up on it and even if they had, I doubt they would'vetried very hard to save herlife.Afterall,she's "just arabbit".She has it now andgobbles it up likeit's the best thing since slicedbread.

Tucker has had hay all of his life yet he's the most prone to GIStasis. I'm beginning to wonder of the conditionofstress canbe picked up by a rabbit and then they getit. I've noticed in the past that even when the weatherhasn't changed, and he's not in a molt,and there was nostress in his life,the size of hisdoody shrunkdrastically. In trying to figureoutwhatwas stressing him, the only thing I could come up withwas, "Well, Tucks! You've gotnothinggoingon that's terribly stressful,are you pretending to beme?"Since they are so sensitive and pick up on ourvibes,Iwonder if it's a possibility. I'llbe interested to hear what you herd thinks of the new hay intown. Tucker's very picky about the hay I get forhim. I've gotten him different types in the past and hesimply won't touch it if it's anything but Timothy.

Cali doesn't care for hay at all and won't touch it. I don'tbelieve GI Stasis is as big of a concern for larger rabbits, butplease note...I said as big, I didn't say it's not aconcern. Her diet needs are different from my other rabbitsbecause she's a growing giant. To supplement the fiber she'sbeen missing from eating the hay, I give her pumpkin. I dothink about her teeth alot though because she doesn't chew on thingsand she doesn't like hay.

Sorry to digress by telling you my little ones' life histories, butthis question has been in my mind for a long time. I've alsoheard that a rabbit can live on hay alone. More than one vet,and Kathy Smith, have told me to go ahead and give your rabbits greensin their diet. When I first was learning about rabbits, manyfolks said, "No Greens!" Of course introduce them slowly, butKathy and the vets said they will benefit from the vitamins andnutrients in the fresh produce.

I think I'll give them all some bits of an apple tonight in light ofwhat you said about the fruit and their coats. Thanks for theresearch and diving into this withus.Younever know what's "in or out" withrabbits. One year, yogurt's theanswer toeverything, the next year, it'sreally not good at allforyour rabbits.

-Carolyn

Part of the problem, I believe, is there is verylittle monies available for research on topics such asviability of hay for pet rabbits. Pet owners needs are not asshort ranged as breeders, meat producers, and even showers, I dare say,so who is economically interested in providing theresearch for us?

There are solid nutritional studies done, but usually for laboratoryanimals or meat producers, both here and around the world.The papers presented at the Eighth World Rabbit Congress (http://www.dcam.upv.es/8wrc/)will substantiate some of that. Laboratory research isusually pre-emptive and not available to the public atlarge,at least not on the usual Internet channels.

So, I guess we're left with anecdotal evidence(oxymoron?) and "huntingand pecking" around until we come up with viable conclusions.I had to laugh at myself, for after composing that long diatribe at thetop, after much thought and careful consideration and losing it totallyonce before in a computer glitch, Pam simply and casually drops acomment that almost forces me to go back to square one again with mymental processes and have to rethink everything all overagain. I'm not complaining, though, because she brought up amost valid point and one that will potentially affect each and everypet owner hopefully...the geriatric rabbit.

Anyway(s)[as California bimbos often say], I do appreciate yourthoughts and observations on Fauna, Cali, and Tucker. Itwould appear those kinds of anecdotes are going to be the only way forany of us to make any progress in this area.

Buck

Buck Jones wrote:
Well, now, Pam! That throws me a curve I had notconsidered. Older rabbits! A majority of my crewwould fall into that category, being three or older. When,age-wise,to you think timothy becomes necessary to reduceurinary tract problems?

Buck
I think it depends on each individual's metabolism andcondition. For an older (2-4), less active, overweight,indoor rabbit, there would be much lower requirementsthan for the younger, outdoor rabbit. Also, lessactive rabbitsthat don't drink as much would more likely beat risk for urinary tract problems associated with bladdersludge. Feed high in mineral content such as calcium couldcontribute to health problems.

Pam

You sure can, Nepo. :)

I'm sure your little guy would love it. Most rabbits do seem to enjoy hay, although there's always the exceptions to the rule.

It certainly can't hurt them it. It can only help.

-Carolyn

I'm also one that doesn't feed hay to my herd.The only rabbits that get hay on occasional are one that are moulting.Doeswith litters get hay to build their nests but thats aboutit!I can't tell a difference in the rabbits if they have hayor don't have hay.

Very interesting topic, although I am givingShadow a mixture of pellets and timothy hay in small amounts.My husband kindled the idea about purchasing my pellets and hay in thetac bulk store where he purchases other feed, and I declined thesavings it would give, for fear of freshness and pesticide.Guess this is a topic I will clearly watch.

On the subject of hay, being here and you guys being there I have yetto try "timothy hay" as it's hard to get here, however I have tried amix blend of alfalfa and grass hay that seems to be readily availableto me.

I have found Bindy to have no problems with it, I think it may havesomething to do with the fact that both her mum and dad and siblingshave been fed this type of hay.

When we first got Bindy from a breeder near us I asked all thequestions as in what feed etc where do you buy from how much etc to tryand keep her diet similar to what she had been having before she camehome with us.

Yes I have altered a few things and things seem to be fine.

The hay I get is in small bails and the moment you take off the wrapperit has a beautiful fresh grassy smell to it, Bindy goes nuts over it. Ihave had 1 or 2 without the smell as strong and the colouring not asdark, I now check for colour etc, as I find the paler the colour thelesser the smell so in my mind I feel the nutrients aren't as strong.

ariel wrote:

The hay I get is in small bails and the moment you take off the wrapperit has a beautiful fresh grassy smell to it, Bindy goes nuts over it. Ihave had 1 or 2 without the smell as strong and the colouring not asdark, I now check for colour etc, as I find the paler the colour thelesser the smell so in my mind I feel the nutrients aren't asstrong.

I think you'll find this link on evaluating hay quality very interesting

http://www.agnr.umd.edu/MCE/Publications/Publication.cfm?ID=110

Pam

pamnock wrote:

[/quote]

I think you'll find this link on evaluating hay quality very interesting

http://www.agnr.umd.edu/MCE/Publications/Publication.cfm?ID=110

Pam
[/quote]

Thanks Pam that sure was a lot to get through, I found out some things I had no idea about :)

Some of it was confusing so I read the same paragraph a couple of times but I found it very informative.

Thanks!

I'm always appreciative of extra info etc

The feed from the feed stores in my area isfresher than the feed from the pets stores you can tell by loooking atit.Think about this, the rabbit breeders in my area have a lot ofrabbits the feed doesnt get a chance to lay there and get stale in thestore.I rarely feed hay either.bluebird

How's it going with your experiment, Buck?

-Carolyn

Latest posts

Back