To chop... or not to chop?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lynne_Bunny

Reaction score
Hello!

I've been planning to neuter Peter at some point, and I was wondering about when was best?
He's almost 1, and has no bad characteristics whatsoever. He doesn't pee anywhere, isn't aggressive, and thankfully doesn't try to have his way with anything (or anyone's leg!)
Is there any health problems attached to unmetered males?
Will his personality change for the worse? Suddenly I've become very paranoid he won't love me after!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

Lynne x

Sent from my iPhone using Rabbit Forum

Neutering is more a behavior issue than a health issue for male rabbits. Unlike female rabbits, where there is a high likelihood of ovarian or uterine cancers which are eliminated by spaying, male rabbits have no such health issues.

If he doesn't show any of the behavioral problems you listed, and you don't plan to get him a companion (where neutering could reduce the likelihood of territorial issues, and of course eliminates the problem of unwanted pregnancy if companion is female), then I wouldn't do it. However low the risk, it is still surgery, so why do it if there's no health or behavioral reason?

My lop is coming on 3, he was a rescue and unaltered, I plan on doing it soon myself. He's got marking issues. I don't think there is ever a bad time to do it unless they are really old

Sent from my iPhone using Rabbit Forum

Advantages:

No chance of him ever breeding a female.
Easier to find a home for if you ever needed to rehome him (hopefully never, but unforeseen occurrences befall us all)
Better litter habits (though this doesn't seem to be an issue with him)

Disadvantages:
He may become less affectionate with you afterwards.
There is always the possibility he may not survive the surgery (though this is EXTREMELY slim in the hands of an experienced rabbit savvy vet)

Hope that helps!

Rue

When I got my Lenin neutered, he was still as boisterous as ever, when he came home from the vets he was in a bit of a mood but that didn't last long, nothing a couple new toys, his favourite food and being doted on couldn't fix, from what you've said your rabbit is perfectly fine to stay how he is!

Latest posts

Back