to carolyn or pamnock

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gjsara

Reaction score
hello i know i have posted about this before wheni first stared here, i have heared that most bunny go wee ina certin spot is that right? because i dont think lyla dose? when ihave the grate up she pees in her hay when i have it down she kind ofgoes wereever, i plan on having her spayed when she gets older and iwas told that that help with litter box training , her cage came withone but she sleeps in it i use pine saw dust in the wholecage should i use a different type of matereial in the litterbox??? she seems to like to wee by her food and when i move it shemoves her wee lol, HELP PLEASE:?

Hi gjsara,

Rabbits are very territorial, especially before they'refixed. She's most likely marking her territory.Some people put hay down in the litterbox to promote them to go in oneplace, however, you have to be very careful that they not eatthehay that they've urinated on because they could get verysick.

Sometimes they won't go in the litterbox ifit'sdirty. Just be sure thatyou keep the pineshavings dry so that she doesn't have to sit in soiled shavings asthat's another thing thatcould lead to problems.

I think what you're mainly dealing with is having to train her and herneed to territorialize the area. That should mellowoutafter she's spayed. No guarantees,butin a lot of cases, it does calmdown.

I should qualify that I certainly don't knowall, thanks forthe thought, but I don't come close.Ialsowouldn't underestimate the input the other members of theboard have.I've learned a lot from all of theregularmembers here. Many 'bring to thetable'things that I haven't hadexperiencewith.

Good luck,gjsara! Keep us posted on how thingsgo.I'llbump up the post about litterboxtraining. There are things in there you might findhelpful.

-Carolyn

Hi, I may be able to help a little...rabbitsusually do like to go to the bathroom in one particular spot, but intheir teen years are a less presice (I know so-I have a teen bunmyself). We used to put Emmit's litter box in a corner of thecage that he didn't always go in because we hoped that he would changehis mind. He didn't. So we comprimised, had to movesome things around in his cage, and we put it near where he likes to go(we can't put it exactly where he likes it because it blocks the cagedoor).

He's getting better at using his litter box, although he'll miss, orhe'll just decide to use a different corner one day, orwhatever. He's silly and all hormonal, so like you, we'rewaiting to get him fixed.

About the bedding, it is a good idea to get him a new type.Pine is good, but not when it is saw dust. This can causeproblems in your bun's breathings. If you like pine, thenmaybe you could use pine shavings instead of saw dust. It'sreally inexpensive, and I've heard it works well.

I hope this helps, and I"m sure that Carolyn, Pamnock, Buck Jones, orsomeone here can give you much more knowledgable info than me...butgood luck anyway :)

-Carrie

I think everyone else covered it pretty well -- babies take a little time to "potty train" :)

Pam

Excellent post, Carrie.

Everybody else,

Please add your ideas/thoughts/experiences.

I learn daily from you. I know that others have had this experience as well. What did you do?

-Carolyn

I would just have to concur with the pineshavings idea. I even use it in my separate litter boxoutside her cage. I was using regular kitty litter, the plainkind, no clumping or clay ingredients, but found that it's just soexpensive and as often as i change it, it was too much. So Iswitched to the pine shavings like i use in her cage. She wasa little hesitant at first, but doesn't seem to mind it now at all.

For those that use kitty litter, just be carefulof the dust that comes out of it when you pour it into their pans asit's bad for rabbits. If you're going to use it, I'd use itonly in a drop pan (wire bottom cage). Then you pour it in,do it in another room, far away from the bunnies so that they don'tbreath it in. I'd also not use it in a litterbox because itcan get stuck in between their paws and if they lick it off and ingestit, you could have some serious troubles on your hands.

Would agree with Carrie about the pine dust. "Pine is good,but not when it is saw dust. This can cause problems in yourbun's breathings. If you like pine, then maybe you could usepine shavings instead of saw dust."

Glad Baby's gotten used to the shavings.:)

-Carolyn

i should clear up they are pineshavings i justcall it saw dust becaus ei used to have horses and thats what weecalled any type of bedding thank you everyone im sorry obutsingling out pam and carolyn thank you emmitsmom and babymommy as well i have gotten alot of help from other members as well andi do apreccitate it!!!

i dont have a traditional bunny cage i guess you could sayit dosne havethe wire floors it it plastic so the whole cage has pine shavings andin a reply to carolyn i clean out her cage about ever 3 daysim a neat freek:? i think ill just have to read the litterboxpost and again thank you EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D:D:D:Dfor allyour help!

Hope we were able to help you somehow, gjsara. :dude:

No apologies necessary. Give Lyla a big kiss and hug from me.

-Carolyn

Latest posts

Back