To bond or not to bond?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gwhoosh

Reaction score
(Wasn't sure where to put this, feel free to move if appropriate :) )

Hi everyone!

I just got a new little baby - and he is seriously a little baby! I was told he was only 6 weeks old when he was handed over to me :shock: I already had Rilee, who should be turning 6 this summer (a guesstimate. I got her as a tiny in September 2006).

So there is a 5.5 year age difference between them. Obviously I would wait for baby Moose to get older and get fixed (Ri is spayed) before attempting to bond. But I don't know if I want to bond them at all! :/

I'm worried that Rilee will pass many years before Moose, and that he will get depressed. And while I see myself having rabbits for many years, at least 8-12 more :p, I don't want to be stuck in a bunny-cycle of replacing companions. Rilee's reaction to Moose has been aggressive, but I know that's not a dealbreaker and they could still work out. Also, Rilee's always been kind of... bratty hahaha and so far Moose is very sweet and is ok with being held. I want him to stay sweet to people and am worried Rilee would be a bad influence in that sense.

I've never had 2 bunnies at once... what is your opinions on our situation? Any input is appreciated!! :)

BONUS: Little boy Moose a few days before he went full lop

ptX5bl.jpg

It's a tricky situation. I have a now almost 7 year old who is bonded to a 2 year old female (both fixed). He has been bonded to another rabbit since he was about 1 year old. I know he does do better when he is bonded, so I do make the effort to find him a new mate when one has died.
Since your male is almost 6 and has not been bonded before, it might be better to not bond him. He might not want a friend anyway. You can try, but at that age they might be less receptive to a mate.

Back