To All Bunny Owners With Dogs....

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Starina

Reaction score
I have been doing some research because my dog has suddenly started itching all of her hair off. It turns out it is caused by worms.

She probably got the worms from eating rabbit poop. Several of the sites mentioned Eating rabbits or their feces as a cause. I guess there is an enzyme in the poop or something. It makes sense, she got the firststarted itchinga little while after TinkleBunny came home. We have been agressively treating her and finally had a month with no visible worms in her poop. Then we brought the dog in the same room as the bunny because of strangers being in the house. (She is very protective of the house, and doesn't tolerate strangers) Now she has them again.

So if you have a dog, please be careful and keep them away from where your bunnys like to poop. Also you may want to get your dog checked for worms as a precaution.

~Star~

This is very interesting! I've never heard that dogs can get worms from eating rabbit poop. I don't have a dog, so cannot contribute by any personal experience, but just wanted to tell you that it was very thoughtful and kind of you to share this knowledge with everybody here.

Marietta

Hmmm, that's new to me too. My goofy dog is always climbing under the rabbit's cages and eating bunny poops, never had a problem with worms before.

Some species of worm eggs can be shed in the rabbit feces. I don't have my parasite book right now, and to be frank I don't remember exactly which ones. Big help, I know, lol.
Rabbits *do* serve as an intermediate host to some different kinds of worms and other parasites. However that also generally works through actually ingesting the rabbit (heh), not just the feces.

But, the rabbit has to HAVE worms in the first place for them to be transferred.

I'm with Ivory on this one. I think it's important that a rabbit be dewormed in the first place.They don't do it here but for people who have them outside or take them outside, it should be a serious consideration. :)

Back