Tips on keeping poop off the ground?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cosmicpixiedust

Reaction score
I have a large dog crate set up for my rabbit, Astrid. Does anyone have any tips on how I can keep the poop from getting on the floor around the cage? She's only partially litter box trained, only peeing in the box and pooping around her cage everywhere else. It overflows daily and gets on the floor around it. My s.o. says that if I can't fix this problem, we'll have to give her away because we have a 4 month old and I am expecting again.

Thank you!

Wire dog crates tend to have shallow pans. You can use coroplast or even cardboard to make sides. Usually 4-6" should contain the poop. Coroplast will last longer and is easy to clean.

I had a rabbit that never took to his litterbox, unfortunately, and we used a wire dog crate too. Couldn't really afford anything else.

What we did was we lined the whole bottom with newspaper (making sure it was up a little around the sides to make it harder to fall out) and then we'd change the newspaper in the bottom daily. It was kind of labor intensive, but since your rabbit is at least peeing in the box, I think you could probably wait longer before changing it.

It was just way easier to grab all the newspaper, wad it up and put it in a bag than it was to try and deal with securing cardboard to the sides, for us, anyway, but that did mean pulling out his toys and stuff from the cage all the time. But again, since you don't need to absorb a lot of urine, cardbord might be a lot easier for you, I just thought I'd give you another idea too

With her being somewhat new in your home, that can cause a rabbit to want to mark it's territory. Litter habits can improve as a rabbit becomes more settled in it's home and doesn't feel the need to mark it's territory as much. Another thing that usually improves a rabbits litter habits is getting them neutered/spayed. It's impossible to know for sure, but it often can make a big difference. You can check these lists to see if there is a rabbit vet near you.

http://rabbit.org/vet-listings/
http://www.rabbitsonline.net/f28/finding-vet-13366/

You could also check home improvement stores for large plastic bins so you'll have a pan with deeper sides. I think they make a large one for mixing grout or mortar.

Last edited:
Sometimes the pellets just fall out. My one bun is very good at not even marking with pellets, but they'll come out of the litter box when he hops in or out.

Having taller sides will really help.

With the bottom of the pan you could use puppy pads and line the bottom, I use that and it is heaven when trying to clean. If your not objected to using wire floors I would definitely recommend them. They have high pans and allow droppings to go naturally down in the pan keeping the buns area clean. ( I would recommend a dura tray) there are all different size cages and you can get them custom built.

Sent from my iPod touch using Rabbit Forum

Latest posts

Back