Tips on how to bond with new bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bethstang

Reaction score
Hi,

I have 2 male/neutered Holland Lops (6 months old)that I bought from a reputable breeder a few months ago, they are wonderful, very friendly. The breeder emailed a few days ago and asked me if I wanted another Holland Lop (1 yr old - male/neutered). She had sold a bunny to a couple with a 2 yr old daughter back in December and now the husband is allergic. So I contacted the owner and she told me she was giving him away, so I went and picked him up yesterday. Anyway, I have him in his cage for now next to my other rabbits. In the upcoming weeks my hopes are to introduce him to my other rabbits, I do know this might not work out and his breeder is willing to take him back if it doesn't work out. The cage is fairly small so I wanted to let him out in my bathroom to give him some exercise. When I went to pick him up he flipped out, I know rabbits typically do not like to be picked up but holy smokes. Once I have him he calms down quickly, but he pins his ears back. A few hours later I go back to put him in his cage from the bathroom and again I have to pick him up and he starts trying to run for his life and grunting when I pick him up. He doesn't seem friendly in general, such as when I get his food bowl out of his cage, he runs to the other side of the cage and sits in the corner.Myquestion is, is this behavior normal for a rabbit in a new enviroment? What things should I be doing to bond with him and help him calm down. I hope his behavior is just due to a new home or maybe he just wasn't interacted with much at his other home and they got tired of him as a pet and that was the real reason they were giving him away.

Thanks so much ---Beth

Sounds like they spent zero time working with him. You need to have patience, perseverance and time. Spend as much time as possible and when you pick him up and he settles down, use bribery--herbs or a treat so he will associate that with being handled. It just takes time when you get one like that--all ours are rescues, so, been there, done that!

My bunny Shiny Things can be aggressive at times. What I am doing is letting her run around in a smaller area. I sit in there with her. When she comes to me and noses me I praise her like crazy. The first few days I did not pet her at all. I was trying to build our trust back up (I had sold her over a year ago and just got her back).

I recommend spending some time each day just sitting beside the cage (or sitting on the floor inside a run or small room with him) and talking to him to let him get used to you. let him decide if he wants to sniff you/come up to get pet and don't pursue if he darts off :)

whenever I have to move my rabbits from their cage to their outdoor playpen or get them back inside, I avoid actually picking them up by getting their travel carrier and gently ushering them inside it, then setting it down and letting them exit on their own when we get where we're going. they're FAR less fussy about that than they would be in my arms (plus it saves me a trip) and I don't have to worry about a struggling bunny trying to jump free of my arms.

My rescues were exactly like this, I would sit on the ground 3 feet away and read or talk to him. I would then bring down one of my stuffies, hug it for a really long time then give it to him. That gives him your scent.
I'd do what Imbrium would do too! But after a while I pick them up and hold them. what really helps is taking them to a new "scary" place and letting them sit in your lap, they will feel that they can trust you. I do this a couple of times every month, just to rebuild their trust.
Take a few deep breathes before entering their domain, if you are calm they will pick up on that and feed off your energy.
It took my rescues about a month to fully settle in, until then they don't really act like real rabbits. More like an electronic toy "hop hop hop hop. Sit hop, eat drink."

Best of luck!
Jj

Latest posts

Back