Tips for taking rabbit in car?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

droporain

Reaction score
Ok, we have located a highly recommended vet in the Exotic Animal Care Center in Pasadena and I feel like she is our best bet, now the only problem is getting Spike there.
In the car Spike is ok for about ten minutes. After that he is just laid out. Laying on his tummy, sulking, uninterested in his surroundings. After we get home he lays in his cage for about an hour not eating, drinking, and I mean does not want to move! Hardly acknowledges our presence when we try to fuss at him.
In the car we put him in a box, with his security blanket, plenty of AC and shade from sun. Usually sits in my lap, either out of box or in (i'm not driving lol).
So now we need to go an hour away. Spike has never been in the car more than 30mins. If anyone has any tips on making him more comfortable, or any ideas on how to tell if he is carsick, please help!

well my bun is really good about going in the car i see you are willing to go to pasadena i live in southern california in the west LA area. theres a good vet near my house that sees all manner of small animals and the first visit is free so any meds that are needed thats all you have to pay for ill dig up the number for ou incase you also want to see them. they were very good with my bun and my rats.

charmmy doesnt really do much in the car but she prefers to not be in the box so when im driving she honestly sits on the passenger seat she will just flop down and lay there i make sure i drive extra careful and i also bring in a blanket for her to lay down on. and keep the a/c on for her. in the box she has some issues with it. i just softly talk to her if she is in the carrier box and open up the top so that she can poke ehr head out which she feels more comfortable with. you will probably know if your bun is really unhappy with something and displeased with the situation, i worry most when shes going nuts inside the box because i think she may get hurt freaking out but if hes going to be uninterested by the drive he probably wont hurt himself. try bringing some treats to keep his mood up?

HOW TO REACH US
VCA Petville Animal Hospital
Phone: 310-313-9118
Fax: 310-313-9115
12108 Venice Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90066

BUSINESS HOURS
Mon 7:00 AM - 7:00 PM
Tue-Thu 8:00 AM - 6:00 PM
Fri 7:00 AM - 7:00 PM
Sat 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Sun Closed

they have a few vets there but dr goldman was the man we saw he was very gentle and thorough with my pets. i did go for a rat mainly but charmmy had a check up with him t the same time the first visit is free. and they are all very nice.

Paddy O'Hara rides in a clothes basket with a fleece blanket. She does really well in the car and stays in her basket unless the dog is with us then she sits next to him in the backseat. She is not a big fan of rush hour traffic, semi trucks or loud thumping radios but she does tolerate it.

It's probably a little late now, but for later... if the car isn't always associated with the vet that helps. Mine will hop right into their stroller carriers because we go the the park and pet store most of the time. They just relax and eat their hay in the car then perk up when we get out. They get yummy snacks when they go out so it is a positive association. They only have to go to the vet once a year or if they are not well so the positive really out weighs the negatives.

MiniLop, that sounds like a good plan - I know mine are happy to go in their carrier because I use it to bring them outside for yard time; the same trick of associating it with good things could easily help with car trips.

If Claremont is any closer to you, I saw and loved Dr. Ann McDowell at Chaparral Animal Hospital and have since recommended her to several of my vet student classmates who also really liked her.
Otherwise I think the best way to get them comfortable with it is to slowly work up to it. This is a video by the catalyst council intended for getting cats more used to their carriers but I think some of these tips would apply to rabbits as well (obviously not the feline facial pheromone part)
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RGY5oSKVfo&feature=player_embedded[/ame]

Thank you all for your feedback!!!! I will look into Chapparal and what great idea to condition my rabbit to like traveling by taking him somewhere fun. Will definitely work on that when he feels better. For now I think you guys are right in advising to make his travel space as much like the cage as possible and to give treats, will keep posted on how he does! Thanks again!

The bribery worked like a charm!!! I gave him his fav parsley and the dreaded yogurt treats, blasted the ac and kept the car as quiet as possible. He went two hours in the car and only mild discomfort and irritation. Amazing!!! Thanks!!!

On long trips we take his large cage (40 x 38 x 28) and put down our back seats as it covers the seats and part of the trunk. If we are going on vacation we take the large cage so if he has to stay in his cage he is comfortable.

We have a smaller travel cage that is more of a fabric small animal container that opens on all sides and have lots of windows for him to see. I sit him in the passenger seat and I unzip the top open half way so he an sniff at the window and I can pet him. He behaves well and doesn't try to jump out.

His vet used to be 2 1/2 hours away and after our move is much closer. We have also taken him on lengthy road trips. Treats are abundant, but he doesn't seem to need them as he flops in his cage when he's done with pets.

Back