Tiny Cough

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PixelGirl2dot0

Reaction score
Hi there! My new bunny has a little "cough" this morning. It's just now and again, sounds like a little dry cough. Her eyes are clear, and she's romping around the room right now like she's having the time of her life, but I thought I'd check in here since our wee ones are fragile and I'd rather nip it in the bud if something is wrong.

Have had her since Saturday. She's a 10 week old English Angora. Diet is timothy hay and Manna Pro pellets, with the occasional Cheerio for a treat. Also papaya pills, which she's taking fine.

What I'm thinking it could be:

* Change in environment (just got her on Saturday) / travel stress

* I'm using Feline Pine in the tray under her hutch to collect any "oopsies" - she's pretty good about using the litter box though, and in the box I use only hay. She can't get to the Feline Pine, it's under the grate, but maybe it's too dusty? I've heard mixed reviews on the Feline Pine.

* Just thirsty - I'm trying to train her on the lixit water bottle, but she drains her water bowl and then throws it around the cage instead. It's a pin bottle, and frankly I don't think it works very easily, so I will probably replace it. Maybe she's not getting enough water just from the little bowl? I'm refilling it several times a day, she's a thirsty one!

I fear it's the beginnings of Bordatella or snuffles, but that's probably just me being completely paranoid as a new momma. Any advice would be appreciated!

Could be just her settling in. My Flemish, when smelling something, will do a short burst out the nose. Which I thought was a sneeze. But it's not. It has absolutely no body to it. Eyes clear, nose clear.

Just observe and get to know your bunny. And let your bunny get to know you.

If the cough persists, then I would take the bunny to the Vet. Just as a precaution.

Congratulation on the new baby.

K

I thought fumes from pine shavings could bother rabbits. Changing to another litter would be the 1st thing I'd try, even it if would have to be newspaper for today.

Are the pellets alfalfa if she's not full-grown? The difference wouldn't cause a cough, but is important for bone growth.

I'm ditching the Feline Pine and replacing with puppy training pads to absorb any wet down in the bottom tray. Have some on hand, and that's what the lady I got her from was using, so going to give that a go.

Her pellets are indeed alfalfa, but thanks so much for checking, I definitely want to make sure I'm doing everything right and appreciate the help!

Latest posts

Back