Timothy vs Orchard Hay

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I offer both! :biggrin2:

Actually I mix the two. Our vet recommended that so that they eat lots of hay and it provides more interest in the hay for them.

aBreeze wrote:
Why would you offer one over the other?
Individual taste, mostly. It's all grass hay, so there's no dietary reason to feed timothy in preference to orchard grass.

My first rabbit, Scone MacBunny, wouldn't touch timothy in any form. If I gave him a mix with timothy in it, he'd pick out the timothy and eat the other hay. Orchard grass, on the other hand, he'd scarf up like I'd been starving him (along with bermuda grass, oat hay, Peter's Meadow Mix, and some other kinds I was able to get from time to time).

Natasha Rabbitova loves all kinds of hay, so I give her a variety - timothy in her litter box, orchard grass in a basket in the living room, sweet meadow grass elsewhere. I think it's a good idea to offer a mixture, as natural foods do vary in nutrition and it encourages the rabbit to forage.

Alfalfa is actually higher in protein and calcium than timothy, so it's not recommended to give it if you're feeding alfalfa pellets, except maybe to nursing does and growing kits.

Both are grass hays and so are nearly nutritionally identical but they smell and presumably taste different. Personally I believe it's best to offer a variety of hays and my understanding is that offering a variety will help wear their teeth down appropriately because they chew on different types of hay differently.
It really does come down to personal preference. If your bun eats one better or one is easier for you to get, go with that. Otherwise, I'd suggest that you offer both or alternate buying one with the other.

Bunnylova4eva wrote:
I offer both! :biggrin2:

Actually I mix the two. Our vet recommended that so that they eat lots of hay and it provides more interest in the hay for them.
This is exactly what I do and my bun loves it. Variety is always great. :big wink:

I've read that Orchard Hay is easier on those of us with allergies, but I've never tried it myself. I should though, I always get sneezy when I fill up Toby's hay.

I used to give Timothy Hay, but it is so dusty for him. I usually give Rikki some Timothy cubes. But I just got some Orchard Grass Hay, and he LOVES it. I think it is owner and bunny preference.

Latest posts

Back