Timothy or Alfalfa?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrampNPigeon

Reaction score
Just trying to figure out which typeof hay is best. I know from having horses that typicallyalfalfa is much richer in nutrients than Timothy but I don't know ifthat is a good or a bad thing for bunnies. Also... how can Iget them to eat their hay?? Right now I only see themnibbling on it a little here and there (they might eat one or two grassstalks a day!), and the hay I give them never seems to diminish any atall. I only give a small handful so I wouldn't think they aregetting too much but I just don't know. I also makesure to change out the hay that they have not eaten with fresh hay eachday just in case. By the way, I also have a couple of alfalfacubes in their cage for them andTramp seems to like thosemore than the timothy hay, Pigeon doesn't eat much of either.Are the cubes okay for them also? Thanks for anyadvice!

Cheryl

Hi Pigeon&Fumper,

Alfalfa Hay is rich in nutrients and calories. Rabbits tendto gain weight if given too much of it and an overweight rabbit isn't ahealthy one, as you know.

Timothy Hay is not as rich, and provides the extra long fiber to helpkeep their digestive system clean besides the act of chewing it beinggood for their teeth. They can feel full without all therichness of alfalfa.

Some rabbits just don't eat as much of it as others. As longas your providing good,fresh hay, I wouldn't worry too much,but I'd take out the Alfalfa treatsand give them to themmoderately. They might be putting all their efforts towardsthem rather than the Timothy Hay.

-Carolyn

Thanks for the advice Carolyn. One morequestion... since Pigeon is a tad underweight at this time would she bebetter on the alfalfa hay until she has gained some weight? Ithought she was skinny before she had the babbies (which I have beenattributing that combined with the stress of being in a new environmentto her loosing them all) but now she is positively THIN. Sheis eating pretty well though so I'm thinking she was just not gettingenough wherever she was before? (BTW, it does seem she hasgained a little in the last week and she is definitely a happy bunnynow because she greets me with kisses at the front of her cageeverytime I come downstairs.. though she'll still take off running whenshe gets out LOL). Thanks again! Definitelylearning a ton here and from my bunnies themselves.

Cheryl

Hi Cheryl,

I wouldn't give her alfalfa to get her weight back as much as I'd giveher more pellets.? I'd give her unlimited quality rabbit pellets untilyou see her getting back to her old weight.

She may have a pesticide if she's eating a lot and not gaining.? Youmight try a pea-sized dosage of Ivermectin 1.87% (a horse wormingpaste) if you see evidence of mites or parasites.? Check to be sure herstool looks okay.? Feel for bumps or look for dandruff or anythingpeculiar.? You can put a pea-sized dabble on your little one's paw orlips and she'll lick it off. Be sure you diagose it correctly thoughbefore you give it to her.

I would double up on the pellet feed, no treats, give her lots oftimothy hay, and if you can weigh her, do so in order to monitor howshe's doing.?

Keep us posted.?

-Carolyn

Tucker and these folks teach me things all the time.? I can totally relate to that!?

Hello Cheryl,

Alfalfa is tasty and very rich and high in calories and it is also veryhigh in calcium which isn't good for bunnies. I buy pellets that arealfalfa free as well for this same reason. For a while I did purchasecheaper pellets that contained alfalfa and my little Cappuccino camedown with a bladder infection. I went back to the Oxbow pellets I'dbeen purchasing as a result. My poor little girl was in such pain andher calcium levels were out of range for bunnies. I felt like such abad mommy. Bunnies really shouldn't have much calcium rich food intheir diets.

My sweet little Meadow isn't into Timothy hay so I buy oat hay for herand it's good for her and doesn't make her fat. Cappuccino on the otherhand prefers and will only eat Timothy hay. Go figure. They do smelldifferent and I assume they taste very different as well.

Good luck with your bunnies.

Rhonda from California

Well... went to feed them the Timothy tonight andnoticed that it is bad! Grrr.... very moldy stuff (I can tell prettyeasy since I'm used to checking hay for my horses). So... I guesstomorrow when the stores open I have to go get some more. By the way..I did pick out some of the better stuff and gave it to her in a new hayrack that I made out of 1/4 of a shoe box and fastened to the side ofher cage and she was eating it a little better tonight. Hopefullygetting new hay that hasn't gone bad will finish the trick!

HiPigeon&Fumper,

We think along the same lines. I made my bunnies hay rack out of 2 ofthose plastic baskets that boxes of strawberries are divided into. Iattached 2 together to make a top and a bottom, then cut out one of thesides do they had access to it, this works WONDERS, I just need anefficient way of attatching it to the wire. Perhaps Paper clips maywork!

Laura

I too thought that my efforts of providing new hayon a daily basis was going un-noticed by my two, it just took themquite a while to investigate the hay and decide it wasnt going tonibble them back....now they are hay monsters and even if I tryto mix some pure Timothy hay with their other hay (a blend of mostlyTimothy and a bit o Alfalfa and grass) they REFUSE....seek and destroyis their mission when finding only the fragrant Timothy.

A lil sidenote on the paperclips~( just thought it worth mentioningsince mine love metal...) they are pretty bendable and for that mattertiny for your bun to manipulate with their strong teeth...might Isuggest cutting a hanger? (much stronger and still narrow enough to useas holders through the cage) I have done this with mine, andthen with the ends that are NON-bun accessable, just to be on the safeside I dulled them!

That's a good idea, I'll see what I can do about that. Thanks.

Hello Cheryl,

Alfalfa is okay for kits. Adult rabbits who need to put on a few poundsshould do so by other means. Rolled oats are healthier for weight gainwithout the high levels of calcium which bunnies should avoid. If youhave a box of oatmeal in the cabinet add a bit to her pellets or overher salad.

Hugs and kisses to your little one.

Rhonda

Latest posts

Back