Timothy or Alfalfa Pellets? Show or Complete Chow?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoolWaterRabbitry

Reaction score
Ok so I have the basics down..but with 3 new adult rabbits I've changed my course on things. My first night with them I went along and did the even feed and fed them all alfalfa hay not thinking too much of it until the next morning when it hit me that they're WHY past 6 months :p(all being 1-2 yrs old) So I went out and bought so Orchard grass hay and now we're fine.

But what about pellets? I know by the time they're done growing, pellet intake should be reduced as well, The breeder I bought them from says she feeds 16% protein (manna pro show formula). I feed Purina complete which has the same protein content.

Question 1: When I start showing, is there really a great difference between show and complete pellets when it comes down to there condition on the table? I for one don't see too much of a difference betweenhealthy coats and weight on my buns vs. my new show buns. They all have smooth glossy coats, and trim well built frames.

Question 2: Should adults be moved onto a timothy based pellet, like Ox Bow bunny basic/T? Is moderation the same? Or can they be kept on alfalfa based without issue?

Thanks! :)

I would switch them over to timmy pellets. Some bunnies are predisposed to have issues with bladder sludge and stones, so giving them a diet low in calcium is a good preventative measure. Alfalfa pellets tend to be high in calcium that adult bunnies don't need.

elrohwen wrote:
I would switch them over to timmy pellets. Some bunnies are predisposed to have issues with bladder sludge and stones, so giving them a diet low in calcium is a good preventative measure. Alfalfa pellets tend to be high in calcium that adult bunnies don't need.
And timothy would be fine for showing right? I can't think of too many things that it would change, like in coat health, but just wanted to ask anyway. :)

I don't show rabbits, but I don't see why it wouldn't be fine. Both of my rabbits are in beautiful condition with beautiful coats, even though they aren't show rabbits (and they eat timmy pellets).

Lactating does have higher calorie needs, but for buns just for showing they don't need to eat differently than any other bun

My girl eats oxbow T and her coat (rex) looks great on it. I would worry about calcium levels too much to continue feeding alfalfa after 6 months.
Good luck with your showing. :)

One more question, I'm planning on breeding my oldest doe the first week in June. So should I keep her on the alfalfa? Or make the gradual change to timmy pellets and then switch her back to alfalfa when she gets closer to her due date?

I would switch her over to timmy and then give her unlimited when she has her kits. I think it's too stressful on the GI tract to switch back and forth. I would pick one and stick with it.

Breeding show animals should be on the alfalfa pellets. Giving the doe full feed as soon as she has the kits can be fatal if she gorges herself. Increase the feed gradually (not all lactating does should be on unlimited pellets - becoming overweight can adversely effect the doe's health).

Adult rabbits do need calcium - especially lactating does! Calcium is not only used for bone maintenance and tooth growth, but also for muscle function, blood clotting, and nervous system functioning.

Calcium should only be limited under vet orders for rabbits suffering from health problems relating to the metabolism of calcium.

I've found that pellets higher in fat lead to glossier coats - however, feed needs to be carefully rationed.

Acacia-Berry wrote:
Wait, if alfalfa is no good for adult rabbits- then why give it to show rabbits? They'll look good but are basically slowly malnourished? Does not make sense to me.

Alfalfa is not 'not good for adults' it just has a higher take on protein and such that fully grown adults don't need. In small amounts from what everyone is saying is ok for an adult that is showing to boost up their coat, and alfalfa is a good supply of nutrients for does that have kits and that are lactating. (I'll let someone else cover more on the subject;) ) But that's the just of it from my stand point.

Acacia-Berry wrote:
Wait, if alfalfa is no good for adult rabbits- then why give it to show rabbits? They'll look good but are basically slowly malnourished? Does not make sense to me.
Alfalfa pellets are fine for non-showing adult rabbits, it's just timothy is more recommend for them. Showing/Breeding/Baby bunnies should have Alfalfa because of the extra calcium and protein which is needed for growing babies, mom's producing milk or pregnant, and breeding/showing animals due to their lifestyle.

:)

Also, if a rabbit is kept in a barn or shed as opposed to a house (I know not all show rabbits are kept in barns/sheds and some are kept in a house), they need more calories because they have to regulate their body temperature more with the changing outside temperature.

Personally my bunnies are on alfalfa they do great on it not sure if the fact they get tons of exercise helps. But I spend 11 bucks on a 25 pound bag verses 11 on a 5 to 10 pound bag.

Thats why they are on that Purina Rabbit chow complete green bag

Back