Timothy Grass Hay- Help!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J.Bosley

Reaction score
Hello!
I spur of the moment bought a bale of Timothy Grass Hay. I was wondering if it is safe to feed my two rabbits! I know Timothy Hay is safe, but the guy said it was Timothy Grass Hay... I am clearly new to buying bales haha ;) It is also more brown than I am used to seeing, but it also has some nice green to it as well.

The guy said it was safe to feed rabbits, I am just double checking with everyone here!

unnamed.jpg

unnamed22.jpg

It should be fine. Timothy is a grass hay, so not much of a problem there.

It will expand a fair bit once you open it. I keep mine in a big rubbermaid tub. I do have to take a few flakes off when I open it (set it in the tub with one end sticking out, cut the strings, take off a couple flakes and stuff the rest back in), or it gets too tight and it hard to get out.

Yes, you can feed it to your rabbits. I think Timothy grass hay is just another way of saying Timothy hay so it's really the same thing.

See how they like it. Are they picky about hay?

I think you have to be careful about how you store a full bale of hay. I've never bought one, but I remember reading that other people store it in cardboard boxes...nothing airtight. You might want to ask the forum unless you already know.

Thanks for the response! They don't seem to be picky about hay. So hopefully they like it! I was just planning to keep it up off the ground in my basement, maybe in an open bin. But I will ask! Thanks

ANY horse-quality grass hay is safe to feed adult rabbits (cow quality can have mildew or something in it that would make a horse or rabbit sick). Feed stores in south Texas never sell timothy - they've always got coastal down here and there was one outside San Antonio that had sudan hay (feed stores' available hay type(s) varies by geographical region, since it's from a local or regional source).

Bales are often somewhat brown on the outside... depending on the type, they may be green on the inside (coastal's a sandy color all the way through, or at least the bale I got was). They can be stored up to a year if kept clean, dry and insect and mold/mildew free; it's better to keep them in a cool area vs a warm one.

I bought bale bags (specifically, I got two half-bale bags as they're easier to move around and can be stacked to take up less space - feed stores will usually cut a bale in half for you at no charge and put it in whatever bags/containers you bring with you if you ask) from Tack Wholesale... they do ship to Canada, but I'm sure you can find a cheaper option if you're interested in bale bags, considering what international shipping fees are like. Rubbermaid-type storage tubs are also a viable option (I believe if you keep the lid on, you'd want to cut/drill ventilation holes), and I've stored Sierra Valley hay for long stretches of time in the packaging it was shipped in (unscented big plastic bag + cardboard box) because my bale bags were a) still back in San Antonio and b) still full of the **** coastal that my picky little brats won't eat :p.

Looks like usual timothy hay to me. Timothy, orchard, meadow, etc, are all grass hays as opposed to alfalfa, which is a legume.

I buy timothy by the bale. Some store it in large plastic bins with holes punched in to prevent moisture from building up. Others had a large canvas type bag... hopefully someone will post who has used these.

I store mine outside under a tarp. I'm in the desert, so humidity/moisture isn't an issue. I also keep a full plastic tub indoors which I refill from the main bale as needed.

My rabbit is so picky about hay :( any tips to get him to eat more or certain brands to try?

Right now he is 5 months old so I am giving him unlimited pellets. I hope that once he gets a bit older and I restrict his pellet intake , it will make him want to eat more hay...

I used to use the pet store bagged hay. My buns ate it but wasn't thrilled with it. It was a pain to get to the pet store to get those expensive little bags of hay too. One member (Imbrium) mentioned Sierra Valley Hay. They ship & the hay is beautiful & smells so fresh! Anyway my buns come running when I put the hay in their pen! They really pig out & enjoy it. Even with shipping it is much more cost effective to purchase and better quality. Oh, and the hay isn't little "hay crumbs" which is what I call the tiny hay bits they pack in the store bags. You can also buy the horse quality hay at feed/seed stores locally very inexpensively to try with your bunnies. I think the longer, "fresher" hay is a big enticement to buns eating hay, at least with my girls. If you can't find it locally or you want to order I do recommend Sierra Valley hay but it is a bit pricey to find out your bun won't eat it. There may be other places you can order hay a bit less expensive because they are closer to you or sell smaller amounts for you to try. Need to re-order for my buns! Oh, I also followed Imbrium's advice & got a couple of half bale hay bags to store the hay. I have limited space & storage only in my house, no garage/carport or outer buildings to protect/store the hay.

My rabbit is so picky about hay :( any tips to get him to eat more or certain brands to try?

Right now he is 5 months old so I am giving him unlimited pellets. I hope that once he gets a bit older and I restrict his pellet intake , it will make him want to eat more hay...

He's plenty old enough to start reducing his pellet intake, especially if he's been introduced to leafy green veggies and gets them regularly - I actually started much younger, at my vet's recommendation. He should still get 1.5-2x what an adult would get (based on the weight you expect him to be as an adult), since he's growing - you'll want to reduce the amount somewhat gradually until about 80% of his food intake is hay. Make sure he eats more hay as you cut back on pellets - if he doesn't, you may need to slow down on reducing pellets or give extra veggies until he's eating more hay.

~~~~~

You don't have your location listed... if you're in the US and are comfortable PMing me your address, I can send you samples of the various hays I've got. So far this month, I'm 2 for 2 on helping people find a hay that their bunny will actually eat - both bunnies refused to eat grass hay after being offered multiple kinds... but changed their mind as soon as they saw/smelled Sierra Valley's orchard grass!

Mail order hay from Sierra Valley/KMS Hayloft is a lot more expensive than getting a bale from a feed store... but it's half (or less) the cost of pet store hay if you buy the biggest size offered (45 lbs for KMS, two 20-lb boxes + 5 lbs free from SV; 45 lbs will last one bunny around 9 months (if kept clean, dry and insect free, hay can be stored/kept fresh for a year or more)).

Unfortunately, the prices are pretty crappy with both sites if you buy the smallest possible quantity of hay (or smallest quantities of multiple varieties) to make sure your bunny likes it before committing to a bulk purchase. Basically, if you don't know for sure that your bunny will eat a certain hay, you either get ripped off (mostly due to how shipping companies determine their rates) or you buy 20-45 lbs of hay to get a good deal and risk having your bunny refuse to eat it.

I tried 14 different brands/types/cuts of grass hay before I found one my girls would eat - it was a ridiculous ordeal! Going through all that feels more worthwhile to me if I can use the experience to help others avoid having to waste a lot of time and money (like I did) to find the right hay, hence why I offer to send samples to picky bunnies. It really only takes a handful of any given type of hay to determine whether or not your bunny considers it edible, meaning it doesn't cost me much at all to send samples since I can take advantage of USPS's super low first-class shipping options (and get an extra 15% off + avoid a trip to the post office by using my PayPal business account to buy the shipping labels online).

I have Sierra Valley's 80%/20% orchard/alfalfa blend and their 2nd cut orchard grass (I'm in the process of finally weaning my bunns off the 80/20 mix); I also got my order of bluegrass and 3rd cut timothy from KMS hayloft two days ago and it's as gorgeous, fragrant and fresh as the Sierra Valley hay.

The 80/20 blend would be an *excellent* choice for a younger/growing bunny, since they get extra nutrition from the alfalfa - which is sweeter and tastier than grass hays and can tempt them to eat more hay - but because it's mostly grass hay, it should be much easier to wean them onto ONLY grass hay when they reach adulthood (compared to only eating alfalfa as a juvenile).

One member (Imbrium) mentioned Sierra Valley Hay. They ship & the hay is beautiful & smells so fresh!

Oh, I also followed Imbrium's advice & got a couple of half bale hay bags to store the hay. I have limited space & storage only in my house, no garage/carport or outer buildings to protect/store the hay.

The Sierra Valley hay really is crazy fresh - I posted a picture in my blog the other day where Gaz was snubbing her new dig pool; she was sitting in the litter box eating from their hay manger. JBun commented that my bunnies' hay looked so good, she almost wanted to eat some! I don't remember off-hand which RO member it was that mentioned Sierra Valley hay when I was on the verge of giving up my search for a grass hay that my girls actually really liked, but I owe them one hell of a thank-you card!

~~~~~

Before I ramble on about bale bags, let me point out that as much as I *adore* mine and am glad I bought them, there are other viable ways to store hay (all of which are much cheaper) - if you're on a budget, you'd be better off using something else.

The biggest advantage of bale bags over other storage methods is that they make it SO much easier and more convenient to transport hay or move it around since they've got a shoulder strap and possibly handles as well. Also, they add very little bulk and are malleable enough to shove into somewhat tight spaces - if you'll need to transport hay and you have a small car, they're a good bit more convenient than the alternatives. If you're getting hay delivered to your front door, though, bale bags aren't nearly as handy as they are if you're buying a compressed bale from a feed store and then having to bring it home and haul it inside.

Alternatives:
If you order bulk hay online from Sierra Valley or KMS Hayloft, it comes in 1-2 cardboard boxes with a plastic bag lining between the box and the hay. I'm living in Houston temporarily and my half-bale bags are back in San Antonio (and still full of coastal that I never got rid of, heh - was trying to find someone to give it to so I wouldn't have to throw out perfectly good hay), so I've yet to use them for Sierra Valley hay.

Instead, I've just been keeping the hay in the boxes it comes in. I wouldn't recommend that for "outdoor" storage (garage, shed, etc.), but I've yet to have a problem with it for indoor storage. If you buy a feed store bale, you could use large unscented trash bags and big cardboard boxes to achieve the same set-up. Mind you, my bunnies live in a huge x-pen set-up because they can't be trusted to run loose (they make the cats' lives a living hell) - if you plan to store the hay in an area your bunnies have access to (unless they're high enough up to keep bunns at bay), even a very casual chewer could make quick work of a cardboard box and plastic bag to get at the tasty, fragrant hay inside... leading to a tremendous mess.

Large plastic storage boxes (Rubbermaid bins and such) can also be used to store hay. They stack, contain the mess, all that good stuff... however, you'll want to drill or punch air holes in the box (around the upper part is good enough) if you're going to leave the lid on so that there's enough air circulation.

While bale bags are tough, durable and sturdy, I could see rabbits chewing holes in a heavy-duty nylon bag much more readily than a hard plastic storage box, which is something to keep in mind if you'd be storing hay within reach of your bunn(s). My girls are ridiculously destructive (as evidenced by the decimated coroplast in their condo) and even they - the bunns who can't be trusted with *anything* - can be trusted to leave storage bins alone!

If you're fortunate enough to have bunns that don't really go for the "destructive chewing" thing then bale bags might work as long as they're in an area with enough traffic that someone would interrupt any chewing before serious damage was done. However, if you wish to be able to store hay in your bunny's pen or in a part of the house that a free-range, chew-happy bunny has access to then plastic storage tubs are definitely the safest option.

~~~~~

Anyway, time to ramble about actual bale bags in case someone is interested in buying them :p

I got my bags here (and it sounds like Tauntz did as well) - the site was actually recommended to me by another RO member forever ago. A full bale bag is cheaper than two half-bale bags; I went with the half-bale bags, though, because they can be stacked to take up less space and they're much easier to haul around due to the weight being split between two bags (I bought mine to get an actual bale from a feed store (not knowing yet that my girls wouldn't eat it)).

I very recently ordered a "Folding Combo Feeder Bag" to try (again, not as good a value as a full-sized bale bag as the size is similar to a half bale bag) and I love it (also love that it was available in purple). The two bags are the same price if you only order one; however, the half bale bags are $3 cheaper a piece if you order 2+.

KMS hayloft sends a 45 lb order of hay in an 18'' x 18'' x 30.5'' box; half-bale bags are 22'' x 22'' x 18''. In other words, two half-bale bags would be *perfect* for an order from KMS hayloft. The bags are the same shape as the boxed hay so you could transfer hay directly without having to "reshape" it. Each bag is 4'' wider/longer and 3'' taller than 1/2 the KMS box, so it wouldn't be an obnoxiously tight fit (or problematic if/when the hay expanded in volume a little after removing it from the box).

Sierra Valley sends 20 lbs of hay in a 16'' x 24'' x 13'' box; if you order two 20 lb boxes (+ 5 lbs free), they use two of those boxes taped together (so that UPS will consider it a single package) rather than one larger box even if both 20 lb boxes are the same kind of hay (the 5 free lbs is added to one box if you order one type of hay; if you mix-and-match, they give 2 lbs more of one/3 lbs more of the other unless you request otherwise).

The folding combo feeder bags are 14'' x 24.5'' x 16''... while that's a more snug fit than the half bale bags are for KMS hay, the SV stuff is easier to transfer since it's split into two smaller/easier to maneuver lots. The hay is in a big plastic bag so you can lift the entire bag out at once (reducing decompression compared to taking it out a bit at a time), shove it into the bale bag upside down and then pull the plastic bag out, leaving the hay in the bale bag. It's packed in the bag/box loosely enough that it can easily be condensed a little to get it in the bale bag (ie it's not compressed like a feed store bale).

Since I've got four kinds of hay right now, I'm actually sticking with keeping the hays in the boxes they came in and putting a bit of each type into the new combo bag so I can have easy access to all the hays at once without having to store multiple big boxes in the living room. Because of the bag's dimensions, NIC grids fit perfectly as separators between the different hays :D.

We get Dumor Timothy Hay from Tractor Supply. It smells really nice and green! Mason loves it! They also sell food. But we get our hay from Tractor Supply. We are a rural area so it doesn't sit in the store for a long time.

Latest posts

Back