Timothy/grass/clover hay bales

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KittyCatAsh

Reaction score
I know that the main type of hay we should be feeding is timothy, just curious if hay that's a mix of timothy, grass hay and clover hay would be alright? Hoping to be able to find a local source for hay bales instead of buying the insanely priced hay bags from the pet store!

Any input would be great :)

Thanks.

I buy an orchard/clover mix because my doe wasn't eating much hay when I got her and she was beginning to develop molar spurs. She devours the clover and gets some hay in her as well, which really helped her teeth by her next annual checkup.

That said, she's gained quite a bit of weight even being off pellets. (Okay, I'll say it. She's fat.) So I do wonder the caloric impact of clover when it's always picked out by a rabbit and constitutes a non-negligable part of its diet. However, in my case, it's the lesser of two evils... and she's happy and healthy at 5.5 years old aside from having too much fat on her :)

Go to a local pet food chain and ask if they can order in JoJo’s premium hay, provided you’re in the US or Canada. I work at a Global Pet Foods in Ontario, so I was able to open the catalogue and look at all the things the store can sell but doesn’t stock on the shelves.

First I discovered that the store regularly orders in 10lbs boxes of hay for certain customers. Then I looked in the catalogue and discovered that JoJos sells 50lbs boxes! I bought the 10lbs box of Timothy, but then I decided to switch to Orchard Grass and bought the 50lbs of that. Getting it home was SUCH A PAIN but now I have most of a hay bale in a box.

50lbs box of orchard grass hay: $101 CAD. ~$2/lb, not anywhere near as good as buying a bale of hay from a farmer but as pet store purchases go, NOT BAD.

Not sure if it’s the same between Canada and the US but the distributor that ships JoJos is Manchester, if that helps your local pet store figure out where to get it.

Thanks guys :) I found square bales of just Timothy and other grass hay - no clover or alfalfa - from a friend with horses :)

I am in Canada though, so I'll definitely keep in mind the 50lb bag when I move, because I don't think it's as easy to get hay bales where I'm going.

Owen comes home tomorrow night, I'm super excited!

Back