Ticks

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Our 10 month old Holland Lops have lived inside all winter but my son's asthma is requiring them to live (safely) outside at the moment. They are played with everyday and allowed to safely explore outside. Last week we noticed a tick on one of them and called the vet. They suggested Revolution, weighed them for the proper dose and gave me a scrip. The vet looked at the tick I saved in a plastic bag and thought is was a dog tick. I looked at it under a microscope and based on photos online, I thought it was a make american deer tick. I gave the medicine to them last week, but the medicine only treats dog ticks. Today, I noticed a tick crawling on the other bunny and removed in from his fur. Help! I don't know what to do. :dunno

Hi,

Ticks and other parasites are always a problem with outside buns. Any possibility of moving them inside to a back room or even a somewhat climate controlled garage are? Maybe a friend or relative could take them until you get your son's medical condition under control. As far as the ticks themselves, the Revolution should help. Other than that, you might have to pick them off by hand. If one becomes attached, soak the area in basic Listerine Mouth Wash and allow the area to soak for a few minutes. Then use a pair of tweezers to grasp the tick as close to the skin as possible and extract it.

Randy

Latest posts

Back