Thumping Question

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stephanie

Reaction score
My baby bunny Abby tends to thump a lot. I'veread up in various places (web, magazines, books) that this is awarning sign to other rabbits that danger is near. However, she seemsto do it when she's irritated at something, such as today when I had toput her in the cage when I was busy and when I let her out she gave agood thump for no apparant reason. She did it a lot when we first gother and she was very skittish, but not so much anymore.

I was just wondering what everyone else's experience is with this. Ourother rabbit Chompers, who is around three, never thumps. She'll thumpwhen she's tearing butt around the room and doing her flips in the air,so that's why I suspect with her it's not a "danger" thing.

Emmit thumps at us from time to time when we'renot giving him enough or the right kind of attention. I thinkit can also mean that they are a little upset and want to let us knowto pay attention!

-Carrie

Stephanie wrote:
.....today when I had to put her in the cage when I was busyand when I let her out she gave a good thump for no apparant reason.She did it a lot when we first got her and she was veryskittish, but not so much anymore.

This is oh too close to home :D. Snowy does it when she is being alittle madam and wants to come out or when I need to put her in herhutch!:)

Vickie

I kind of thought it was something like that. Shecertainly didn't want to go back in their cage, but you all know howtraining is. Sometimes you need to put them in whether they like it ornot. I swear, she reminds me of those old cartoons with the guy in jailhitting the bars with the tin can. We are almost done building the newcage for them though(I'll take pics, we are quite proud ofour work). Pretty much our buns are out of the cage except for whenwe're gone or at bedtime. As I am not working, I am here to supervise.

Peanut's the only one of my buns that thumps, andonly a couple times have I seen her do it in reaction to "danger"(she'll get real still, perk her ears up, and thumps once or twice,typically it's when there is a loud noise that scares her)

Most of the time her thumps are peeved thumps. She doesn't like it whenI try to grab her out of the pen, so she'll back into a corner andthump like mad. Or sometimes, if I stomp on the ground, she'll thumpback.

Quite the little diva, she is.

~M

My Lenci thumps ALL THE TIME. I reallydon't think that they do this because they think they're in danger(well, maybe sometimes they do), but more so because they'reannoyed.I think Lenci even does it to getattention. Sometimes I think she likes to hear herselfthump. :D:D

See that!! Miss Innocent?? How easily you forget!

:sunshine:

She was full of vigor, no doubt.

-Carolyn

Both of my French Lops love to thump!
Sometimes when mad or for attention or to watch us or the dogs jump when they do it.
French Lops thump HARD!
As Gypsy commented on another thread, it sounds like a gun going off!!

I've seen Cookie thump when he's scared or trapped, but he also thumps when he's "happy".

He does the mating dance with my feet (running around me in circles)and he'll run one way, thump, turn around, and run the other. Over andOver. I can't figure that one out.

Rue, Sully, and Kweli all thump when they are mad.

Kweli has a good thump before she jumps on my bed,

and one time Kweli was sick and she thumped and thumped till i got outof bed to see her. She had not pooped or eaten and although i was veryscared i'd lose her, i was very happy she woke me up.

Jordi thumps when she's exited and when she'smad. If we rustle the treat bag, she'll circle us and thump inexcitement. She also thumps at us when we try to pick her up. She hatesthat.

Wesley used to thump in his cage when he wanted out, before he became a free range bunny. That guy could make a racket!

Norman thumps just to hear himselfthump. Otis and Hopi now thump when they want my attention...every twoseconds. Stormy thumps when he's mad or annnoyed with we humans.LikewhenI'm not handing out salads or treats fastenough. Thankfully my girsls aren't thumpers.

Tina

Nadie thumps mostly when he is happy actually,not when he is upset with us. When he is upset on the other hand hegrunts at us like a the little piggy he is lol. Celest on the otherhand will thump when she is mad and grunt when she is happy lol gofigure. I think it all depends on the rabbit, and if in doubt sit backand think for a second is he/she acting mad? Is she playing? Or is shescared. Usually you can tell just by looking at there body pose, and orby looking at whats going on around them. I know if someone Celest dontknow comes into the house she will thump at them like what the heck areyou doing in my house. I hope that helps, I know what I wanted to saybut i have a strange feeling it might come out as incoherant babble.

hehehe,i know when i come back from being at thevets with one of the buns and i let them out of the basket,they willrun off and stomp their foot,hmmmm...angry bunny,but they are so funnywhen they are annoyed.

one night jack was stomping his foot continously down the hallway,thenhe came speeding up to the lounge room door,and he did nothing butstomp and the look on his face,something had scared the heck out of him.

so i get up to see what his problem is,and then i laughed so much wheni seen little missy(our pet rat)walking down the hallway.somehow shehad got out of her cage lol.jacki boy was scared of a rat lol.

i can just imagine what he must have been thinking at the time when hewas stomping his foot *HELP,some bunny help me there is something smalland funny looking trying to get me*lol.

such funny little things they are,a bunny brings so much joy into the home and into our hearts:D

shadow10978 wrote:
Nadie thumps mostly when he is happy actually, not when heis upset with us. When he is upset on the other hand he grunts at uslike a the little piggy he is lol.

Meat grunts when she's angry & thumps when she's happy, too(and she thumps w/ both back feet simultaneously... it's prettyimpressive ^_^ ). She also thumps sometimes when she wants tocome out & play, & sometimes for no reason I can figureout.

The best, though, is occaisionally I'll scratch right above her tail,& she'll start spinning in circles (I can change whichdirection she spins by which side my hand is on), then she'll startflopping & immediately standing up over & over,& sometimes she'll thump.

My fiance says that's Meat's "Crazy Spot". ;}

I've never heard her thump when she's angry... grunting & boxing are her angry actions.

Sasha thumps when he wants attention, lol. He'llalso open his mouth and show his teeth when he does it for extraemphasis. It's so funny because when it's time for me to go to bed andall the lights are off I can hear him thumping like "hey! i'm notsleepy yet come back here"

gotta love it :headflick:

Latest posts

Back