Thumper has sore hocks or just callouses?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nekobunny

Reaction score
Hey guys.

I was sitting in my room with her and she was lying on her side, and I noticed a pink-red bump on the back of each of her feet. One is a bit larger than the other. Mind you, it didn't look as bad as the examples of sore hocks I've seen, but just to be on the safe side I washed her feetwith warm soap water, disinfected with wound wash saline and put some cream similar to neosporin.I was going to take a photo to post here but she ran under the bed.

Is this an emergency? Do I need to go to a vet asap? I realized I made some stupid decisions when choosing how to set up her cage. She lives in a big rabbit pen, for bedding I put a foam mat with some towels on top for padding. I do wash them regularly but I guess not regularly enough if it is sore hocks I'm dealing with. How can you tell the difference between sore hocks and callouses?

Thanks in advance, please let me know if you have helpful informaiton.:cry2

I'm not sure how to be sure if they're not calluses, because I don't think the hair grows back anyway.
I wouldn't consider this an emergency situation in need of a vet though if you're just seeing redness, not like pussy cracking or anything like that.
Personally, I'd continue doing what you did today and keep an eye on it.

Ok, I will keep treating her feet and keep an eye on them. I think I will try and get photos of her feet in this post, maybe people will know once they see. I was also wondering if anyone knows whether New Skin is available in Canada (Im a Montrealer).

thanks!!

Usually rabbits get sore hocks from being on wire or hard surfaces(with possibly wet surfaces) for an extended amount of time. From what you explain her bedding is, i wouldnt see how she got the sore hocks. But having sore hocks is genetic. Keep an eye on her feet like missyscove said. as long as there is no sign of pus or necrosis then make sure to change out any dirty bedding or towels and keep her cage clean to prevent an infection. Soaking the foot is okay and neosporin (antibacterial) is what we used to treat sore hocks.

Other causes for sore hocks could be. . .
extended periods of immobility, overgrown toenails, or obesity

Bag Balm is good, but not always available in Canada. It's a oily cream made for cows, but can be found in some drug stores in the hand cream section. Other good options are triple antibiotic ointment (without pain med in it), prep H, or other really good hand creams that are quite oily--the oil keeps it in place for a long time.

Definitely make sure the nails are not too long. It's not an emergency. It may not even need lots of treatment--the calluses don't go away at least in my experience, but they shouldn't be red or angry looking.

I try and keep her nails trim and short, but there is one of her nails (the one closest to her body) that is very dark and getting longer, and I cant see the quick so Im afraid to hurt her. Its the one thats higher up on her foot, I wonder if that one affects how she sits? I havent noticed any anomalies in her posture, though Im not sure if its even somehting that would be visible.

I also have a thick carpet in my room that i bring her into a couple times a week,could it bebad for her?

Latest posts

Back