Three Rabbits in Colorado

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GinChinSing

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I just joined to ask a question about what to do with my new rabbit's abscess in the medical section. I won't cover it here, but I will tell you about my three rabbits.

A friend of mine ended up buying three rabbits about a week ago from a pet store in one of the local malls. So, of course these are most likely mill rabbits. Anyway, she discovered they were a lot of work and I ended up with them today. I have an appointment set up next week to have the royal snips done on each of the three rabbits and to find out if they are boys or girls or both.

I don't know much about colors and breeds of rabbits outside of the Flemish Giant, but I can describe them until I get pictures taken. They are pretty young being pet store rabbits. One looks to be close to adult size, but I'm guessing as I've never had rabbits. The largest one is a red eyed Himalayan. Or maybe they are called Siamese seal points like on cats... :? Its ears are not floppy and it looks more like a hare than a rabbit in the face so it will either be Mr. Hare or Harriet depending on if it's a boy or girl.

Then there is a grey and white one with ears standing up. The last one, which has the abscess has floppy ears and is a tan/grey mix in colors. This last one seems really nice and loves faces. I even got a lick or perhaps a wet nose on my lip. He/she keeps sort of head butting me, which I'm guessing I may have to stop if it's a dominance thing. Other than that, they are all very sweet so far and only have a problem of seeming afraid of being dropped. As they came from the pet store, I'm not really surprised. I'm sure they've been dropped at least once by people who didn't know how to hold a rabbit.

As for me, I'm a 23 year old female who knows guinea pigs and rats. I have always wanted a bunny but I was looking to getting a show Flemish. I guess I could always do that in the future as these guys don't live as long as cats. Speaking of cats, I have three. I also have a dog and six turtles.

So, we all say hi!

Hi Gin,

Welcome to RO. That was very nice of you to take all 3 Bunnies. What kind of cages do you have them in? Are they separated so none of them get pregnant :shock:? I'm sure you don't want or need little baby bunnies.

I had a bunny that lived to13 so they can have a nice longlife span. I also have one that will be 7...

Looking forward to seeingpictures of them, they sound really sweet.

Susan:)

Hi everyone! I have two of them together and one separate. I had them drying in the tub and kept seeing one of them, the little gray and white one trying to hump the other two. I was reading about trancing at the time and decided to try it. It worked and I see some very visible man-parts on him. He has been named Jumper for the moment because he's the only one who figured out how to get out of the tub and he's only 811 grams in weight.

The other two are still together because the most they've done is sniff each other. I also figure that if one does turn out to be male, he's either not hit maturity or if there is a female in the group that spays are on their way next week so it won't be a problem.

Theses are the pictures I've taken so far. My house is pretty dark and I didn't like using the flash with the ruby eyed rabbit because I didn't want to hurt any eyes. Luckily I know that the reason the pictures are so bright is because I forgot to adjust my settings. I'll take better pictures some time today.

Here is Jumper, the known male. He weighs 811 grams, so still a baby mostly?

He all ready found a good place to lay down - on the back of my couch. He didn't even chew on the nails I never noticed before.

IMG_1763.jpg

Here is the bunny with the abscess and also the smallest at 798 grams. If it's a girl, then the name is Abigail. If it's a boy, then Abernathy it is. I don't know why. Lol. Bunny was still damp in this picture and wouldn't hold still.

IMG_1757.jpg

And here is our biggest bun, at 1473 grams (3.24 pounds). If it's a girl, then Harriett is the name I've chosen but if it's a boy then may he forever be known as Mr. Hare.

IMG_1753.jpg

Currently I have them in very temporary cages. The two are in a 40 gallon breeder tank that I used to keep lizards in. I know it's not the best but I figure less than 24 hours would be okay. Jumper is in my cat carrier. He has enough room to stretch out and can almost raise fully up onto his hind legs.

I'll be finishing the cage today. It's a C&C cage, or NIC I guess they're referred to here. It will be the same size my turtle cage (2x6) and will be raised above the turtles seeing as all their substrate is over 100 pounds and I can only imagine the mess if I tried to have the turtles above the rabbit cages. I don't think those dinky grids could hold up 100 pounds of substrate plus two gallons of water and all the decorations.

So, after I rearrange the animal room and drag the turtle cage away from the window, I'll be completing the rabbit cage. Because there is one confirmed boy, I'll be putting him in a 2x3 cage and give the girls the 2x6. Then if everyone gets along after spays and snips, I'll open up the 2x3 as a second level, giving them all basically 2x9 plus floor time when I can. It doesn't seem big enough to me, but then again I don't really know how big these guys will be getting. I want at least 4 square feet (2x2 grids) per pound. So, if they all top out at 4 pounds each, this will be a huge cage.

As for how long they could live, I'm okay with that. My last two guinea pigs lived to be 5 and 7. The 5 year old was a pet store pig and had complications due to growths. The 7 year old was a skinny pig (hairless) and they don't usually live long from what I understand. I expect these rabbits to live at least five years, hopefully longer.

Welcome to Rabbits Online, my name is Dave and I am a moderator on the forum. So if I can be of any help please let me know. This is a terrific website for rabbits and their slaves, not only is it very active but also friendly. I am so glad you’re here and I know you will enjoy it.

Hopefuly, your bunny will never get sick, if you ever have a sick bunny, please post in The Infirmary and include your rabbit's age, breed and health history as well diet and output details leading up to the problem.

Here are some links I thought you might find interesting:

*For reference the Library section

*To brag or tell everyone about the antics of your bunny or just to talk about your day here is where to start a Bunny Blog, you can also look back at it later and remember when you had a life before your bunny.

*Now all the bunny’s like talk to each other when we mere slaves aren’t around in the Bunny Chat is the spot to be.

*The House Rabbit Society has a lot of good information on what veggies are safe for bunny’s, etc.

*Here is a link to learn what your furry master is trying to say to you How to Understand Your Bunny's Language

The Let Your Hare Down section is for anything non-bunny related.

Here is a link to that will help you and your bunny to connect, How to Bond with Your Bunny.

Now every forum has rules and ours can be found with this link Rabbits Online Forum Rules. This gives guidelines on what is acceptable, what is not and how we hope everyone will treat each other.

Everyone on this forum loves to see pictures of each other’s bunnies. So if you would like to post a picture this link will help you do that, Upload Photo's to Photo Gallery. Then in the post, you click on the "G" in the tool bar to insert your photo. Many people also use Photobucket. You just copy the img file and paste it into the post.

Don’t hesitate to ask questions and I am glad you have joined rabbits online; I look forward to seeing you around.

Latest posts

Back