Three month old (about) rabbit diet?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sarah92lynn

Reaction score
So I know the basics of a rabbit diet like unlimited Timothy hay and limited good quality pellets and leafy greens...but I read on a couple different websites that young rabbits should be fed unlimited pellets until about eight months. I have been feeding my bunny unlimited timothy based pellets and hay so I wanted to double check and maybe get some advice on bunny diet since I'm a newbie! Haha
Also if anyone could help me out with what kind of greens to feed her that would be awesome =)

I don't feed greens until my bunnies are at least 6 months old. I did start feeding wheat grass at about 4 months though.

My rabbits have enjoyed parsley, kale, broccoli, cilantro, spinach also.

K:)

Parsley is Peppy's favourite! It doesn't matter what other fruit or veggies you give him, he'll eat all the parsley first and then eat the other stuff when it warms up(he doesn't like anything else right from fridge)

Until about 6-8 months, they should actually be getting alfalfa pellets and alfalfa hay, it's higher in nutrience so it helps with growth and development. I don't know if I would change it now, just keep giving unlimited hay and pellets. Maybe mix in some alfalfa, it really does give them that extra little boost.

Veggies should wait till about 6 months as well :)

When she reaches 6 months, I would recommend giving parsley, cilantro, carrot tops, lettuce (Romaine and Greenleaf are favorite here) and limited quantities of kale and spinach.

Harriet is four months and already gets parsley, banana, blueberries, strawberries (though she's not a huge fan) and carrots. Parsley is her favorite, but blueberries are a close second and an excellent treat for training, she thinks.

I've introduced fresh foods to her slowly though and one at a time according to the House Rabbit Society's website.

My bunners was introduced to fresh greens really early on and has been doing amazing since. He's almost 6 months now, but probably got greens at 3 months or so. Definitely unlimited pellets, but I think it's time for me to start giving him less. I don't want him to be an overweight buns...

my bunny is also just 3.5 months and I was told and have read, yes on the unlimited pellets, and timothy(alpha)hay, I haven't bought any, but orchard grass is also suppose to be a good hay for the young ones. I haven't started any greens yet, but have been told NO ICEBURG, only the dark leaf variety's like romaine, or spinach... I will keep in mind the parsley also.

my bun enjoys, celery, carrots, parsely, cilantro, and banannas. But dont start feeding these untill 8 months

We just got 3 now 9 week old mini rex's. The breeder said she has the fewest problems with rabbits if she strictly feeds them pellets and no veggies and fruit. No problems with loose stools this was or stomach issues. Anyone agree? We gave our last bun alot of vegetables and fruits and had vet visits.= for stomach stuff, eye infections etc(maybe unrelated). She just felt to keep them on a single feed diet was best?

We just got 3 now 9 week old mini rex's. The breeder said she has the fewest problems with rabbits if she strictly feeds them pellets and no veggies and fruit. No problems with loose stools this was or stomach issues. Anyone agree? We gave our last bun alot of vegetables and fruits and had vet visits.= for stomach stuff, eye infections etc(maybe unrelated). She just felt to keep them on a single feed diet was best?

That's been her experience with her rabbits. We don't feed veggies either and have no problems. That's not to say that you can't feed your bunnies veggies, but if her rabbits don't get them then you should probably wait until they're older and then start them slowly to make sure they don't cause any digestive issues.

Mordin is almost 4 months old and has been eating greens since he was 3 months with no problems. I make sure to introduce them slowly and watch for watery poo. He loves romaine and green leaf lettuce. He will also eat cilantro, spinach, and parsley, but he's not a huge fan so he saves them for last. I also have given him a little bit of carrot, apple and blueberries, he like the blueberries the best. He also gets timothy pellets, with timothy and alfalfa hay.

My bunny is about 6 months, maybe a bit younger and she has been eating limited greens for a couple months now. She loves green leaf lettuce, kale and cilantro. She won't touch much fruit other than a bit of banana once in a while which she goes CRAZY over. I have her on unlimited alfalfa pellets and alfalfa hay mixed with oat blend hay. She isn't a huge fan of timothy hay but really likes the oat blend hay. And I was told either one would be fine, she didn't need to be on timothy especially if she wasn't a fan.

Back