Thoughts on switching Pellets

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MagPie

Reaction score
So when I first got Harvey back in July, the people before me were feeding him that junk rabbit foodfrom the dollar store and that was it. It took me almost two months to switch his food to a Kaytee brand of pellets. It took a little longer than I would have liked because at the time he was on meds for his infected ear and I didn't want to upset his system too much.

At the time of the switch I couldn't find Oxbow and I was told it was expensive. I did find it eventually and it's actually cheaper than what I am currently feeding him. Now I would like to feed him a good quality food and save a few dollars too. (anything helps at this point)

But I got to wondering, would it be ok for his stomach to switch food again? Even tho he had something different not that long ago. He did well when I switched him the first time.

It should be fine to switch. Just do it gradually over a couple weeks.
Rabbits can do well with more variety, but new things should be introduced slowly. There are some people who do mix different brands to get some of the benefits of them and so it is easier if they can't find a certain brand.

Hmmm well I definately won't have a problem finding it any more if I do go with Oxbow. I would switch it over like I did before, but a month instead of two.

I just don't want to upset his tummy. It took a while to get used to veggies.

If the pellets are similar in content, you can make the switch over a couple days. We switch pellets frequently and don't mix - we just start immediately on the new pellet.

Latest posts

Back