Thoughts on Effectively "Title-ing" a Post

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m.e.

Reaction score
Yes, I'm aware I misspelled "titling". But I really didn't want anyone to mispronounce it ;)

I'm a busy person. I haven't posted much lately because school and lifeare swallowing me up at the moment. I only have a few moments each dayto peruse the forums (not just this one, but 9 others), catch up on afew threads, and keep in touch with certain members.

To make the most use of my limited online time, I quickly scan posttitles to see if anything pops out to me, or anything I might be ableto help with.

Now I'm not picking on anyone in particular, but today as I was scanning the forum I saw:

"my rabbit"
"question"
"how many?"

Do I have any idea what these posts are about? And how will I knowwhether I will be able to, perhaps, offer advice? Because - frankly -for the sake of time, I skip right over them.

A post like "lucy is detemend not to go in her cage" tells meexactly what problem the poster is asking, and what kind of helpthey're looking for. I'm much more inclined to check it out :cool:

I know I'm not the only member who feels this way. And,unfortunately, good people with worthwhile questions are being ignoredbecause of vauge post-titling.

If you're having trouble clipping your rabbits nails, don't title yourpost "problem", or even for that matter, "nails". Tell everyone whatyour problem is (i.e. "Having trouble keeping rabbit still for nailtrims"). Sooo much better ;)

I encourage you, dear members, to title your posts in a way thatreflects exactly what the post is about. It works out better foreveryone.

I second that motion!

I am also on limited time, so have to skip many posts.

In order to get the best and most knowledgeable answer to a post, it's necessary to be specific in the title!

I read the posts where I feel I can be of the most help, and avoidthose that I feel someone else would be able to better answer.

Pam

I third that motion! :dude:

I'm skipping posts for the same reasons.

I'm also skipping posts by new membersthat ask simple questions that can be found on the cheat sheet. Newmembers I hope you are not offended but I believe this "cheat sheet" isstill permanently posted at the top of the forum. It very effectivelycovers sooooo many of the questions that new members come on and askall the time.

We don't mind helping BUT when we haveseveral new members - I speak of the inexperienced bunny owners-sign on each day and ask the same questions overand over again, it becomes tiresome.

Great post m.e.!

RaspberrySwirl

I agree totally. Where as I have a bitmore time it is at times like walking through a mine field, you neverknow what you are going to get until you start reading the post.

I am also finding it a bit hard with multiple postson the same subject by the same person. But that's just me.

Tina

I Totally agree andin one instance have blatenlyasked the person to use one thread isteadof multiples, butI see I have been ignored . Idid try tho .

I have to agree with everything that has beenposted here already. It feels like a chore reading titles ofsome threads, and I too skip them for the most part.

Adding -If one more person posts that they just pickedup some rabbitsand wants to breed them without knowing whatto feed them, how to house them, rabbit behavior, etc. -- I willscream. I thinkthey have no business breedingthem at all. Do research before you breed to make sure youknow what you are getting into.

Totally agree, but it is the nature of the beastfor many newbies to vague, inconclusive and somewhat lazy when theyfirst appear here. By and large, they usually move on.

Fotunately, other newbies stay, learn a great deal and particpate inmajor ways that prove benificial to new and old hands alike.

This latter group makes up for all the "peat and repeat" energy and time spent on trying to bring the lazy group up to speed.

Buck

I apoligize for my post "How many?" It should becalled "How many animals do you own?" Simple Question. Also my new post"If hate could kill" It could be titled "I hate my dogs because theytry to eat my rabbits" Or something else. I just shortened it becausethat title seems a little long!

Yes, I did not intend to imply laziness, I just wanted people who post to be aware of how others will read the post title.

Take a good look at it yourself: Does it explain what you areasking/stating/conveying? Would you be able to infer the nature of thepost from the title alone? Would you be inclined to read a post withyour title, or skip over it?

Sorry, wasn't implying you, but I think Buck mentioned something along those lines.

Not sure if I'm guilty as I don't post many topics, but I'll sure try to remember this when I do!! :D

M.E., I'm just seeing this thread. It'swonderfully insightful and very much needed. No, you're notthe only one who feels this way.

I hope that other members have also found it useful ... :).

Jenniblu wrote:
Ihave to agree with everything that has been posted herealready. It feels like a chore reading titles of somethreads, and I too skip them for the most part.

Adding -If one more person posts that they just pickedup some rabbitsand wants to breed them without knowing whatto feed them, how to house them, rabbit behavior, etc. -- I willscream. I thinkthey have no business breedingthem at all. Do research before you breed to make sure youknow what you are getting into.

I read a post the other day and someone was asking when they can putthe male back with the female and the new kits!!!UGHHH!!!! I have NO intention of breeding, but I know youcannot house males with his kits-he could kill them!!Grrrr....

A question for all of the regulars, (I am very new).Sometimes I feel bad about starting a thread for somethingsmall. I try searches to see if it has been discussed before,and if it hasn't, I will post. Is that irritating, say, tohave one post about "Is it OK For Pregnant Women To HandleBuns?" I have PM Carolyn a couple of times with a simplequestion, but I am sure she has better things to do than answer mymessages....?? :D

Truly Krick

You're definately doing the right thing,searching for a similar thread before posting your message. If peoplehave a genuine question that they cannot find the answer for, we'realways glad to help :cool:

P.S. It took a couple pm's for me to figure this out, but sometimesCarolyn adds a reply at the bottom of the message. I felt like such adork when I finally figured out that I should be scrolling down! :p(Just in case you thought she wasn't replying, don't take it to heart;))

Thanks, m.e.! Carolyn has been so quickto respond to my PMs. What a great group of people herehelping each other raise the sweetest buns. I am new to thebunny world and they bring me so much joy each and every day!

(Confession) All weekend I was so eager to get to work to get online tochat with y'all. I know. I should get outmore. Instead of the bars and partying and silly foolishness,I would rather be at home with a bunny in my lap. It is thegreatest thing in the world! :D

Not to get involved, but I have noticed thatthere is a lot of complaining done between people, about informationand posts. It may not be may place to say so but I think that whenpeople start they are not being lazy but are simply not sure yetexactly how things are supposed to be done. When I first started, onlythree days ago I did not even understand what a thread was. As well,When I wrote my first post an it asked for the titles, I wasn't evensure where they would go, it was kind of trial and error.

And rather than making references to peoples posts in a negative way ifyou disagree with something they have asked or information that theyhave provided it may be nicer to approach them in a private message andgive them the chance to make the correction.

I have been reading as many of the posts as possible to tryto get a feel for the people involved and indulge in the excellentinformation provided, but I know that some of the things that have beensaid would affend me.

LiSa MaCk wrote:
.....I think that when people start they are not being lazybut are simply not sure yet exactly how things are supposed to be done.When I first started, only three days ago I did not even understandwhat a thread was. As well, When I wrote my first post an it asked forthe titles, I wasn't even sure where they would go, it was kind oftrial and error....
Very good points Lisa. I just finished ameeting the other night with some freshmen parents who voiced the sameconcerns about a parent group they were involved in. Some of us wereusing terms and speaking of events that they had never heard of, notrealizing all the while that they were totally lost.

It only took me a moment to flash back tomy freshman parent year and remember how awkward I felt in that sameparent group. Not knowing, not understanding....

I think we must remember to be kind andhelpful when trying to explain things to new members. Perhaps we willhave to put together a post explaining some of thesethings.....threads, posts, PM's, spellcheck, avatars....It might resultin many less hurt feelings and far more accomplished on the forum!:)

Raspberry

I just saw this thread for the first time today, and I had a thought....

When I was a new member I didnt realize that there was a search, so Iused to post like all different kinds of threads, just like they do.

I also think that some of the new members dont realize that thesearch is used for searching different threads, just like they usuallydont know what PMing is.

After they have been here a while they usually figure it out and dont post like 45 new threads a day.

Just a thought :D

~Amy

Latest posts

Back