Thoughts? Haven't taken Fred to the vet yet..

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kindred Spirit

Reaction score
I'm most likely going to make an appointment very soon...with that said, I found Fred about a year ago. In my eye's he's been very happy and healthy. Although in the back of my head I know I really should bring himfor a check up at the vet.

I've been hesitant mostly because I don't want to traumatize him, as he hates to be handled and I just know he'll probably freak out in thedifferent environment.

When I do take him, what can I expect? Shots etc.

TIA!!

Are you taking him to a rabbit vet? Make sure that you do because your normal cat and dog vet most likely won't know how to tell normal from abnormal in a rabbit.

No shots! In the U.S. we don't have any shots for rabbits.

It's good to bring him to a vet as a wellness check. You don't want to scramble to a vet you've never seen when something does need to be addressed or if there is an emergency. It's important that the vet have a healthy baseline record of Fred on hand as well.

I would make sure that the vet checks out:
- both ears with a scope
- Feel and listen to the body and gut
- Eyes
- Teeth (front incisors and back molars)
- nails and feet
- take bunny's temp

OooOo thanks, I would have assumed to just take him to a regulare vet. And had no idea that there would be no shots! Sometimes, I still feel clueless when it comes to bun care :p

Kindred Spirit wrote:
OooOo thanks, I would have assumed to just take him to a regulare vet. And had no idea that there would be no shots! Sometimes, I still feel clueless when it comes to bun care :p
Oooh, no no no. It's ok to be clueless, we've all been there. There's so little publicized about rabbit care I feel, like no one can be blamed for not knowing, but it's good that you are posting and asking questions!

And likewise there's so much that is yet to be learned about rabbit care in the veterinary world as well. Rabbits fall under the specialty of "exotics" which is lumped in with birds, reptiles and such. It's like an "other" category for vets, which is a shame because rabbits are becoming so popular as household pets.

I really really urge you to find a rabbit savvy vet to take for a wellness check because this is the vet you'll want to go to in the event that you do need to take Fred in one day (I hope that day does not come though!). Some dog and cat medications are toxic and deadly if given to a rabbit so it's important that Fred be seen by someone who is skilled in this field.

My Jersey geography is not good so I'm not sure how far Central NJ is from the other areas of Jersey but I know some NJ members have had some luck with their vets. Some folks who are close enough to NY cross over to see a vet here. The NJ HRS website has some listings of rabbit vets but I've heard that the site hasn't been updated in years and vets listed there were really iffy.

Thank you so much Helen! You make me feel better...I only want the very best for Fred and have been feeling bad that I've yet to take him for a check up.

I'll definitely be more wise now as to what vet I take him too! I'll be sure to do my research to assure he gets the very best care :D

Latest posts

Back