This poor family

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The fact they sold rabbits to Petland and this quote bug the hell out of me;

"...all while teaching their son honest values in a business environment similar to running a small lemonade stand."

Except that lemonade are intelligent living animasl. I do wonder what the "insignificant" aspects of the raising facility that were in violation are.

Using animal breeding as a way to teach your son responsibility irks me (and what responsible breeder with fine specimens for show sells to petland?), but the situation of the fine is a bit odd... they should have to explain exactly what the violation is at least. Hopefully they kick the charge.

My feel for the family is only because they thought they were doing good and not harm. If they were only schooled from the begining they could have done it the right way. Not selling to Petland. And here the kid is being raised to think he is doing right. I despise pet stores that sell live animals. About 99.999% are not educated enough to sell pets and that is part why we have so many abandoned and neglected animals. Poor bunners!

I don't know - the article kind of makes me question their motives. They started off with two rescues - great. They accidentally bred, happens to the best of us sometimes. They didn't rehome the babies, they sold them, for $10-$15. They decided that breeding was a good idea, so began selling rabbits for meat (which is odd for a rescue-turned-breeder to be pumping out meat animals). Begin getting better lines in their rabbits so start selling them for show and petland offers to buy from them, so they sell them to a chain pet store.

I would be interested in more information on the care of the rabbits and maybe some names of the people who offer such praise to the families care of them. They say "a judge" rather than "John Doe, judge of X rabbit show" ... anyone can say "well, a judge said our rabbits were cared for". Without more information, the things they did say, raise red flags on me about the family's breeding practices. But, they could be good breeders, I would need to hear more about them to decide.

I have nothing against GOOD pet stores, or good breeders. I am just wary of most of them, because there are so many bad ones out there.

But, no matter if their breeding practices were good or bad, the fine is ridiculous. If they were a backyard breeder, there are better ways to shut them down than an obscure law about selling more than $500 a year in rabbits.

Petland! They are on my boycott list in the number one position. Next, the writer of the article seemed a tad biased and never mentioned what the problems were with the government--I thought journalist were supposed to "investigate" and give an unbiased account (sure!). I'll hold judgement til I am apprised of all the facts.

Lol! So biased that I can't be bothered to believe a word of it. Seems unlikely the family got magical pure lines from 2 rescue rabbits. It also never says the breeding between the first two rabbits was "accidental", it says they "ended up" breeding. That's a really vague way to say it and since they did not specifically say it was accidental, I really don't think it was. If it was clearly an accident, a good reporter would be certain to make that a very specific point in the article to defend the family.

Further information on the case:

"The fine is being issued by the USDA, which oversees the sale of animals, for selling more than $500 worth of rabbits in one year and for operating without a license. Between 2008 and 2009 they sold 619 rabbits, which earned them $4,600, with a profit of about $200."

619 rabbits, as both meat, pets. That is a lot for a "small family business like a lemonade stand".

"The USDA reportedly found out about Dollarhite when an inspector was examining records at a licensed pet store who had obtained some of their rabbits. In 2009, an inspector showed up at their property and asked to do a spot inspection. She noted that cages were slightly too small and that there was a rust spot on a feeder. "

Cages being too small by USDA standards... means they were probably pretty small. :(

USDA also claims they requested a license kit but never got one for their breeding - great way to teach your kid responsibility! They found out about the family's breeding by browsing pet stores logs of breeders they got their rabbits from.

http://www.care2.com/causes/animal-welfare/blog/bunny-breeders-face-4-million-in-fines/

It's a pretty poor example of how to run a business it that's their profit margin.

I guess the point is if they set themselves up as a business in competition with the big businesses that usually target that market then they have to follow the same rules they do. Millions is a bit ridiculous though, if there is no way they'd be able to pay it. It's a disproportionate. Could be that's the maximum penalty though the the journalists are using a bit of artistic licence implying that's how much they'll have to pay not, it will be something up to a maximum of that.

The whole thing is just sad. Not only teaching your children the world of busines and making money the right way, but the rabbits as well. I have mixed feelings about it all.

The USDA was most likely brought in because rabbits were being sold for commercial purposes and are no longer just a small hobby, as most rabbit breeders are. How many responsible show breeders mass-produce rabbits for pet stores and a tourist attraction, as well as meat?

The article is from someone who is very anti-USDA. Coming from the granddaughter of two sets of farmers and married to someone who still helps out on his parent's farm, the majority of farmers have no problems with meeting USDA requirements and get lots of grants and other stuff through them.

The USDA is just plan stupid, All they care about is money, That is maybe why they want to sue for over million of dollars. Just plan stupid. I have now or heard that alot of breeders are getting into trouble because this, Not because they sold over $500 worth of rabbits or selling to petshops. Because they raising rabbits. And its more and more people everyday. Some arent so lucky, And some are.. Ugh!

Hmmm I dunno about poor family. I find it a little fishy that this article doesn't state all the facts. No doubt the family didn't do their research on what license and such they would need to run a business that sells to a major chain. Ignorance is a poor excuse.

Sure dint approve of breeding bunnies for meat...selling them to pet stores, not any better. Rescues usually spay or neuter their rabbits up for adoption and I seriously doubt any breeding was accidental.

while I question how a single family could *properly* care for upwards of 600 rabbits over the course of a year and am far from convinced they hadn't done anything to warrant being fined, 90k is freaking absurd. the vast majority of people don't even make that much money in a year working a full-time job! unless that family is secretly rich as hell, how on earth could they be expected to pay such an astronomical fine? I really don't see the justification for fining them significantly more than the amount of $ they made through rabbit sales in the year in question (the total amount, not just the profit). a 5k fine is enough to teach a lesson.

on a side note, why on earth would you go to ALL that work to bring THAT many rabbits into the world (when shelters are already overflowing) to make a "whopping" $200 a year? I can understand someone who shows rabbits breeding for little to no profit in order to better the lines and produce champions, but a) people who do that don't breed on SUCH a massive scale and b) that's totally not what these people were doing. I'm in favor of them being fined simply because I believe their behavior is dumb enough to warrant being charged a "stupid tax"... but not a 90k tax!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back