This poor bunny.. Help

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

diannemc1957

Reaction score
The bunny I found outside hurt 2 weeks ago is doing better.. She has started hopping on the hurt leg.. She loves to be rubbed and is so funny...When I put pellets in the bowl she picks it up and dumps it out.. One thing I am worried about is she is so skinny...You can feel all her bones.. I Know she is eating cause the greens and carrots I put in there are pretty much gone the next day...I keep pellets and hay in the cage at all times and put the greens in cage twice a day...She was eating a lot more when I first got her but now has slowed down...Poor thing was starving...Guess it will take time for her to gain weight...I was wondering if there is again else I can feed her to get her fatten up...Thanks so much!

My bunny did the same thing when I found out she was too thin. Ate so much at the beginning, and then slowed down a bit. But she's still eating, and she'll eat her pellets and greens... I think it just means they're not starving anymore. They probably need to eat their food at a good pace or it will make them sick! I wish she would be scarfing down food at all times but I guess it is unreasonable to expect that of her. I still would like her to eat more though.

The oats worked for my mini lop too. I still add a pinch to the top of her pellets in the morning because she likes them so much. When I ask her if she's ready for breakfast she binkies in circles and puts he front paws on my shins while I get it together. It makes their fur super soft as well.

look at what kind of pellet you are feeding her, make sure it is a healthy based one. i would free feed and put it in a crock she cant tip or a hanging crock.

is she getting enough fluids?

the rescue boy i just took in is being freefed pellets mixed with oats (like what you would eat) and of course hay. i force down a bit of pedilyte daily to get his energy up a bit.

and otherwise just give it time. she wont fatten up over a day.

also, avoid carrots-too much sugar than she can propably process atm. And make sure to only do a small variatiin of the dark greens that you feed her. between probably never having greens before and her system being out of wack, it might do worse for her than good to have so many varied things in her diet.

You can find steel oats by the oatmeal at the grocery store. It will say Steel Oats. It's like super plain oatmeal. I get mine in bulk form my breeder/feed supplier. I mix in everyones feed. Makes fur some happy buns :eats:

im not sure what steel oats are...but yes like the oats we eat. like original quaker oats, no flavors though. but assuming steel oats are fine too

I get steel oats in bluk from the health food section of my grocery store. They are the same oats used to make oatmeal, but they are less processed, more grain-like.

If you use quaker be sure to get the slow cook oats and not the instant.

Make sure your feeding plenty of timothy hay everyday. As much as she wants to eat. I did not see a lot of talk about hay. But it should be number 1 on the diet cause it has a lot of fiber and is needed for good digestion.

oats is a great idea and buns sure seem to love them, i know mine do, they get a pinch in their breakfast pellets and they lick the oats up first thing.

I have lots of timothy hay in the cage and pellets...I also give her romaine and kale and carrot twice a day...I could not find any steel oats so guess I will try regular quaker oats..?

Latest posts

Back