This is crazy... Two overdue does.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2CrazyFools

Reaction score
I'm looking for suggestions/insight/or fellow head scratching.

Two blue American does, (purchased both of them from a "Boyd" in Oklahoma, he claimed they were papered but never got me ANY information about them after we exchanged $$$ and rabbits... shame on me for not getting it up front.) one who I suspect is pretty old, I purchased her as a breeding doe but I'm worried she might be more the retiree age and he shoved her off on an unsuspecting newbie. (Me.)

The second doe was supposedly a young show rabbit, never bred, currently around a year and a half old. I have no reason to not believe this, she does appear young, in her prime, very docile and used to being handled. Shiny healthy coat.

They weren't very .... interested in being bred so finally after many refusals through the fall season I stuck them into cages with a male buck each and left them there for a week. My older doe pulled fur within 2 weeks and made me worried I would have a way early litter.

I SWEAR that week was December 12th-16th. Therefore I'd start watching them January 9th and expect them to kindle at minimum on the 9th and maximum on the 19th (at 34 days if they got pregnant the last day of the week that they were with the males.)

Nothing. Next week... nothing. Next week, nothing. Guys... it is the 30th of January! Both have very active bellies as of an hour ago, both are very overdue. There is no doubt that they are both pregnant.

Youtube of the young girl's belly moving on the 16th: https://youtu.be/20wxc1Z4s2U

What on earth?! What is going on??? Neither are acting strangely, eating and moving just fine. I've been bringing them down to run around for an hour, and then the last 5 minutes I'll bring down a buck to hopefully get her hormones going. This is the third day of that.

I'm so confused :confused:

Even if, lets say I recalled incorrectly and they were with the bucks the week before Christmas, they are still overdue.

EDIT: I purchased three does from this "Boyd" feller, one I was successful in breeding right away in spring of 2016, she was also probably pretty old and had 9 babies, all stillborn and she died from it. Now we're having this weird issue... I've had many successful litters with my meat mutts, but my expensive rabbits just aren't coming to fruition! My husband is ripping his hair out from worry, he's really attached to Clover, that young doe in the video.

Last edited:
I should probably add that we do have a double vet appointment on Wednesday. :nerves1I went to add this to the original post but apparently you can't edit after 5 minutes.

Another forum helped me determine that....

the does are not pregnant. What I was seeing in their bellies is GUT ACTIVITY! :nono

Shame shame. I feel like an idiot, lol.

Please disregard this post. :)

Just to note, you could always get her belly x-rayed to confirm. We did that once. The doe over a year old will take some work. If you know how to palpate, you can breed, palpate in 2 weeks and re-breed again if you don't feel anything. Do you have more than one buck you can use...or if you have just one, is he proven?

One proven American, though I have my suspicions he's an old fart and tends to prefer cuddling when the does resist. "It's okay, I'm tired anyway..." If I had gotten their pedigrees up front I would know if he sold me old animals.

So I purchased another buck, a little under a year old, unproven. However he quickly proved himself on another doe so he's now a proud dad. This strapping lad was paired with the younger doe, and the older buck was paired with the older doe. Neither came to fruition.

'eh, we'll figure it out, I'm just happy I'm no longer worried about losing two beautiful does to some weird overdue litters..

Latest posts

Back