This is a bad thing right?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rattiemattiesrattery

Reaction score
My Male Flemish Giant the last 3 days or so has had one ear flopped over... Ideas as to why?
I've seen him holding it up but 9/10 times when I look in his cage he has the one lopped to the side. Any ideas?
Would that make him a bad buck for breeding? I know show wise that wouldn't be a good thing if he decided to keep it lopped.

How old is he?

CHeck deep inside his ears for ear mites.

He could have damaged the base of his ear - or he could have mites and is holding them like that - or it could be that he really has a weak ear base.

I forget how old he is - but a lot of my younger flemish did that around 3 -5 months old and then they picked their ears up again.

He is 5 months old.

Yes Dixonsrabbitry it has been hot. Outside 120 inside, about 95ish *it has been cooling down since we worked on our AC and reinstalled the window Ac too to help. it was over 100* We were keeping every one cool in the house (girls included inside making them mad) by spritzing them with water and having ice bottles (even though they shredded it in a matter of minutes because they thought I gave them a toy lol)

The buns haven't been outside though because it's been hot, other then a few minutes at night so they can work out their energy.

I looked in his ears Peg and they are pretty and clean ^_^
He normally holds them up all pretty and perfect, but the last few days the one has been down, except when his attention is grabbed then he will hold his ear up.

my female flemmies ear did that at 4 months old..shes about 7 months now and its still falling over...not that i was gonna breed her but thats an awful big ear to be drooping..she also has a bent tail ..shes not the prettiest (her names Ms. perty) but shes part of the family and loved.i was really interested when i saw the title of this thread..i had no idea why her ear did this..so heat can be a factor?...i mean i live in the desert.!!:)..but they are house bunnies..
Ms. perty can get hers up too when its raisin time....but it falls right back over...poor thing..

Seeing how you're from Phoenix you prolly got your bun from the same place lol
*I traveled out to Showlow for mine*

He is holding his ear up most of the time now and is nearing 7 months.
His sister's ear wasn't loping unless she was in a carrier then she held her ears both down to the sides. *SO CUTE* I was starting to think that maybe it was something to do with being in too small of a cage. *like when Orcas don't have a big enough area their dorsal fins droop.* But Achmed is in a cage big enough he can run and jump and stretch out *I've seen him do the Bunny 500 in his cage lol* and he has a shelf to get up on.

too funny..!! no my giants are from Florida. i was suppose to get only one male giant but when she opened up the carrier she brought 2 giants ...then she got on the plane and left me with both...some people are weird.so Ms. perty was kinda a surprise...:)....its ok shes not real pretty but shes got the best personality...her eyes are even stange..her face is really pinched in and her eyes are bulgie so when u look at her straight on she looks like a fish......hehe by the way i have 9 buns also....god if i cud just bond some of them..... its nice to meet another Arizonian..hugs
lisa_sig.gif

ahh ^_^
I love my Flemmies the most. ^_^ But Achmed is a bit of a grabber >_< He bites clothes and chews them, acting like it's all great fun >_<

Yeah I Have 8 buns now, *my rescue got himself a new home ^_^* I have all my girls live together, unless they leave wounds, then I take the one causing the wounds out. and the rest live together well. ^_^

Latest posts

Back