this forum

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rabbitgirl

Reaction score
I just want to thank everyone for their help inthe months since I've joined, and wanted to share my experience of theforum. Some of you have heardparts of this already....

Everyone has been more than helpful, and I appreciate a place where Ican get new ideas--since one is always learning new things withbunnies, and someone on the board is sure to have gone through the samething. Just when you think you've seen everything, a new weird problemor behavior pops up! hehe

I joined the board a few months ago, when planning to breed one of mybunnies. I've been raising rabbits for a long time, but have onlyraised a few litters (mine are rescues, purchased, etc.) and wanted a"backup crew" with advice in case of trouble!:D

My dream was to have Bunbun's son, as I loved him so much and he wasgetting older (8.5 yrs). He was healthy as a horse, so I planned on himbeing around awhile yet. Unfortunately, he picked up fleas andparasites from the fleas. I took him to the vet, who literally badgeredme into using a topical liquid flea treatment, Revolution, saying itwas safe.Later I found out that he hadn't tried it on rabbitsbefore.

Bunbun ended up with massive chemical burns on his shoulder where itwas applied. A four inch roughly circular patch on his back was a rawred wound--lost hair and skin. And the fleas still weren't gone!

That's when I switched to natural remedies, in desperation forsomething safe to use. Meleleuca oil kept the wound clean and it lookedbetter within a day.Tea Tree oilalso, along with aflea comb, finally routed the pesky little fleas.Olive oilwas the next step, to keep his skin from drying. Through all this, heslowly began to lose weight and move slower, but his back was healing.

He and I bonded even more each day, as I sat in the sun combing him.His orange eyelashes would droop and pretty soon he'd be out like alight, sleeping in the sun.

When he was free of fleas, we bred him to a large neurotic andneglected borrowed Palomino doe. Chasing her in the run, he thought allhis dreams had come true! I still have a picture in my mind of himlying in the run, his front leg over his mate's shoulder, licking herhead.

Unfortunately, after that he began to go downhill very suddenly. Hiscoat began to get dull, he ate less, began to wheeze and got thinner. Iwas utterly frantic, since I couldn't figure out what was wrong. All ofthis happened within the space of a week. Then I discovered a largelump on the side of his neck. The next day, I found a lump on the topof his head. He was obviously having a hard time breathing and moving.

I was on the forum asking questions at this time, and Iknowmy descriptions of what was wrong were incoherent at times. I wasfrantic and numb with panic and grief.My boy wassick and I didn't know what to do. I was doing the best I could, andwas really struggling with guilt about doing that flea treatment.Thevets in town knew little or nothing about rabbits (as I found out whenBunbun had fleas!)

Iremember being so frustrated when Carolynrebukedme for supposedly disregarding someone's adviceandinaccurately describing symptoms,and told me tojust get him to the vet like I'd been advised. It's impossible, I know,for those of you on the forum to see the whole picture from ourposts--not being there in person! ;)But I was numb andexhausted, and definitely not coherent by that time--much too tired toexplain. (To those who offered advice in spite of that--manythanks!)All day long I'd been calling vet after vet, actingon that same advice, trying to find someone who wouldn't make theproblem worse. I found no one. He was in really bad shape, and Icouldn't stand to put him through more. I didn't think he'd survive thecar ride to the vet, I knew he wouldn't make it through surgery at hisage even if he'd been healthy, and the vets said they'd have to do abiopsy to see if it was cancer. I couldn't imagine putting him throughall that in his condition, only to have him die anyway after still morepain.

So I made a tough decision. It was time to let go.He didn'tdeserve any more pain. I cried until I couldn't cry any more, my headburied in his fur, listening to his labored breathing--and saidgoodbye. In grief and frustration, I signed off the forum. I had madethe best choice I could, knowing that some wouldn't agree with it,thinking there was more I should have done. But I watched him and knewit was right. There was no more I could--or should--do.

He died peacefully at home.

I rejoined the forum, and really appreciated all the love and supportin the aftermath of Bunbun's death. A few days later, his mate gavebirth to nine healthy baby Bunbuns, one of which was Bubby. Youall saw pics of them growing up, and today Bub is a healthy, loving,energetic 9 wk old boy. And when he looks over his shoulder out ofthose peculiar droopy Palomino eyes under long orange lashes, I see hisdad--young and healthy again, always ready for a game....

So now I'm rejoicing in every cranky teenager mood andeveryfloppy ear and every bunny kiss and nip and poop on thefloor and binky, because I have my boy back again in his little son.

As I said, I've learned a lot through the forum. And I've learned thatsometimes one needs to take all the advice given, consider it, and makethe best decision one can, even if it means going against what othersthink sometimes. No one's perfect, myself certainly included!;)But we all do our best for our babies.

I'm grateful for ALL of you! Thanks for all your advice and I'm continuing to enjoy the forum.

Rose

Well, you certainly have been a most welcomed addition here, and yourbeautiful post and testimonial to Bunbun clearly evidence why thatis. Thank you for allowing us to share in your life and thatof your buns.

Buck

Iremember being sofrustrated when Carolynrebuked me for supposedly disregardingsomeone's advice andinaccurately describingsymptoms,and told me to just get him to the vet like I'd beenadvised.

I don't think that's quite exactly how it was stated to you, rabbitgirl. You might wish to check the post again.

http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=768&forum_id=1

My reply to you was as such:

rabbitgirl,

You need to find a good rabbit vet.

Pamnock's advice of an abcess isn't to be ruledout.I think you jumped to disregarding herstatement without having itdiagnosed and trying to decideyourself.First you said his appetiteiseffected, then not; then you said he's notswollen,now he is. It's hard to help youwhen the symptoms change so often.

-Carolyn

after your reply and further description, my response to you was:

Thanks rabbitgirl.

I apologize if I upset you, that was not my intention. The detailed explanation helped to describe the lump/swelling.

Along the jawline area should feel symmetrical on both sides. Sinceyou've determined that there is a lump or swelling there, that's reallysomething that would have to be treated medically.

Keep looking for a good vet. It's probably a blessing in disguise thatthe others treated you as they did. I wouldn't want that type of persontreating my rabbit.

In the meantime, if you can pick up some NutriCal, do so in case hegoes off his feed again or substantially decreases his amounts.

Keep us posted. I'll say some prayers for you and BunBun.

-Carolyn

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My response to you when he died was as followshttp://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=810&forum_id=1

Hi rabbitgirl,

Good God, I'm so sorry! I'd be a horrible mess if I were in your shoesat this point. Thank goodness you'll have his babies, but I know thattheir entry and his exit is of little consolation right now.

Love him up. My whole heart goes out to you.

You're in my thoughts and prayers.

-Carolyn

Completely agree that it is ultimately the owner's decision as to howthey care for their rabbit. No one says you MUST do somethingwe advise.All are suggestions, opinions or advicethat was asked for.

In any case, glad you're having fun.

-Carolyn

Carolyn, I was just describingmygeneral emotionsat the time. What I wasfeeling at the time was part of the experiences I hadinbecoming a part of the forum, good andbad.Remember I said I was exhausted and grieving.It was a tough time and I'm not saying anyone was right or wrong. I didindeed feel frustrated, whether from misunderstanding orwhatever else, as I stated in my post ("I remember feeling...").

As far as advice goes, I'm certainly not saying anyone was forcing meto do what they said, just that I was too tired to explain to those whokindly offered advice why I ran counter toit at the time. Iappreciatedeveryone'ssupport through a tough time.It was just another part of my "growing up", learning to make alife-and-death decision that may or may not be what others advise. Themost important thing I learned is that no one can make it for me (muchas I wish they could!), something that didn't really sink in until thatwhole experience with Bunbun.

So no offence, please.

Rose

I absolutely agree, Rabbitgirl.

I know you still miss BunBun, and I'm sorry for your pain.I truly am.

-Carolyn

Rose, I joined the Forum after your problems withBunbun, so I just found out what you went through and how important itis to you to have his son Bubby. I enjoy reading your posts and wishyou and Bub (and Baby 1) all the best - Jan

rabbitgirl wrote:
Thanks, Carolyn. Just when I think I'm done crying for him....:(

Rose

Some you never get over. I'm so sorry.

-Carolyn

This may sound really bad, but it was harderlosing Angel than my own grandmother who I love very, verymuch. I miss them both immensely. I think this isbecause I sawAngel every day.

I call Bub "Bunbun" accidentally, all the time.Then there's that kind of weird feeling as I switch gears--no, he's notaround anymore. Or when I look over at his cage like I used to do everymorning, to say hi, and realize all over again that it's empty.

That's when I hug his little boy....

Aw man, I'm gonna cry again!

Gotta go see Bubby.

Rose

Don't feel badly, rabbitgirl.

Every once in awhile, I'll refer to Tucker as Cypress.

Cypress was my first animal as an adult and on my own. He was a verycool cat, and I'm not particularly a 'cat person. He died about 8 yearsago.

It took me 5 years before I had the nerve to open my heart up to another animal. It was just too painful.

Lissa, I cried harder for that cat when he died than I have for most people.

-Carolyn

When I went out to visit him tonight, Bubstoodon my shoulder andwhuffed in my ear, a littleversion of Bunbun's trick. He makes me feel so much better.

My brother buried Bunbun for me, and I asked him not to tell me wherethe grave was. I wanted to remember him alive, running and playing, notbe reminded of his death when I went out there. It makes it a littleeasier anyway, especially with a little wiggly orange live memorial inhis place.

Rose

On November 2, 2002 the pony I rode was put downwhile I was attending my sisters wedding. I came on the next morning tocheck my email before rushing to my sisters gift opening, but someonetold me the sad news and I was devastated to the point I wouldn't leavethe house. Hercules had been the 3rd horse to die within 3 months, sothey did an autopsy to determine the cause of the colic that killedhim. Well after we were told that their wouldn't be enough left to buryof him. That's the one thing I wish, was that he had a grave, a place Icould visit. I still find it heart breaking to think about him. It's soincredibly hard for me to celebrate my sisters wedding anniversary whenit's also the anniversary of Herc's death. I know how hard it is asgood as any. I rode for a mere 6 months after that, all the timedrifting farther and farther away from horses until the point I quitover a year ago. I couldn't face horses after losing one I cared somuch about, now I realize quitting was the wrong thing. As theexpression goes, "when you fall off, dust yourself off and get back onagain." That's one thing I haven't done... but anyways, losing isalways hard, losing a pet is one of the hardest things.

Latest posts

Back