Third eyelid showing

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P.S.

Fauna loved the warm cotton pads applied to her eyes. She leaned right into it.

It's going to take a few times to loosen the crust.

Carolyn wrote:
Hi Pam,

The corner of Fauna's eyes are crusty, I've just noticed tonight.

I still have some of the conjunctivitis medication left from the vet. Will start that up again.

I'm also going to put some warm cotton pads on her eyes to loosen the crust so that I can get it off.

Any chance of allergies causing the conjunctivitis or would this be asign of infection caused by the exposure of the third eyelid?

Many Thanks.

-Carolyn

Hi Carolyn!

It could be due to irritants. My friend's rabbithadsimilar health issuesgoing on -- a little crustat the tips of the ears, crusty eyes and developed crusting around thenose and wasn't eating well. The vet prescribed tetracyclineeye ointment, baytril pills and ivomec once a week for 10 weeks. (Wehad also started the doe on oral tetracycline a week before going tothe vet -- the symptoms were clearing when I took the rabbit in forit's appointment when my friend was out of town.)

The doe hasn't been on antibiotics for a while and hasn't shown anymore symptoms. She is a picky eater, so gets a little NutriCal and dandelion leaves along with her regulardiet.

You may want to check into oral antibiotics for Fauna if the problem persists.

Please keep me updated on how the little sweetie is doing. She sounds like such a doll!

Your Friend :)

Pam

Dear Dr. Pam,

Thanks so much for the valuable information and sharing the story of your friend's little buddy with me.

Fauna definitely is a very picky eater. I think I may startgiving a dose here and there of Nutri-Cal. Couldn't hurt to give it toher from time to time.

After just one application of Neobacimyx-H for the conjunctivitis lastnight, she's a little less crusty, and I do think the warm pads helpedto break it up. If after the medicine's gone an it's reoccurring, I'lldefinitely go back to the vet and try to get antibiotics.

You're right. She's the sweetest little thing and so brave. She doesn'tfight me when I put in the medication. She's my little baby girl. Icouldn't love her any more than I do.

Thanks so much for your help. You have no idea how much comfort itbrings all of us knowing that we can ask you about these things.

You're a treasure. It's an blessing to know you. You're a Noble Woman.

-Carolyn

Oh, bless Fauna for not fighting youabout the medication. What an absolute sweetie. I'msure that she loves and appreciates you for all that you do for her,Carolyn. My heart warms every time I read about the wonderfullife that she has now.

I have to agree with you yet once again about "Doc" Pamtoo. It's such a blessing to have her here with us.:)

Carolyn wrote:
Dear Dr. Pam,

You're a treasure. It's an blessing to know you. You're a Noble Woman.

-Carolyn

Don't place me too high up on that pedestal Carolyn -- I'm afraid ofheights and it's a loooooooong way to fall!!! :p

Dear Pam,

You were kind enough to ask me to keep you in the loop as far as Fauna was concerned. Here's the follow-up.

The vet determined after examining her that she has a plugged tearduct. She said that it was most likely as a result of theconjunctivitis and the infection in the eye.

She said that once they're plugged like that, they're hard to getunclogged and/or they just go back to being clogged again. She trimmedthe hard fur around her eyes. I'm to treat her with a warm compressevery day to keep her eyes and fur clean.

She's lost a pound and 3 oz. which shocked me. I'll give her some NutriCal and unlimited pellets as before I was giving her what her weightrequirement was.

All other systems are Go. I think she'll be looking and feeling betterafter she's really used her new home and getting settled. The stressesshe's had have been a lot, the doctor agreed. I just have to give hersome time to acclimate.

My vet told me that if she was a person, she'd be a chain smokerbecause of how nervous she is. As a result, her metabolism works fasterthan most rabbits.

Thank you so much.

-Carolyn

(P.S. I couldn't believe how far back I had to go to find this post!)

Carolyn,

Obviously, seriously concerned about Fauna on several levels, as webrought her to you! Are you sure the vet did not make anerror regarding her 1lb 3oz weight loss? When I weighed heron May 21, 2004 she was 3lb 14oz. A 1lb 3oz loss would belike over a 1/3 reduction in body weight from that time!Granted, she may have gained some in the interim, but howcould we all miss that much of a drop just a week and half ago?

Please do keep us posted.

Buck

Wow -- that's a major weight loss -- keep usupdated on what's going on. As Buck said -- perhaps anerror? You would have probably picked up on that much of aweight loss without even putting her on a scale.

Pam

I'm very concerned about her too.

-Carolyn

Sorry to revive such an old thread. I am a new user and would just like to ask a Question.

Bruiser my Flem X NZ Buck is currently 11 weeks old and I'm not sure if it is a "third eyelid" but it is definitely another translucent shielding that is exposed and on some occasions covering 70% of his eye (Not quite covering the pupil)

He picked up the same mutation like his father, he has 1 brown eye and 1 blue eye. All of his siblings have blue eyes only. The brown eye is the eye with the problem so I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it?

I am very concerned about it as it seems to be getting worse as time goes on. He is not in any pain and does not seem to be bothered by it at this stage. He eats and drinks perfectly fine and his poo and wee seem to look normal.

What should I do?

Here is a pic

Untitled.png

my rabbit's third eyelid is showing all of the time in both eyes, it is not red or inflamed and he is acting his normal self. Could this be a problem or infection? Should i take him to the vets?

Back