Third eyelid showing

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pam

Wow! I am lost for words now! No wonder everyone calls you the resident expert!

Sure sounds like a great family. Can't believe you have 150 rabbits though!

Many thanks for all your advice.

Sue, Crunchie & Benjy

Hi Foofy,

Just a note: Fauna's third eyelid was showing and she hasconjunctivitis. It could be as a result of that or stress. Will let youknow how her treatments go and the effect it has in the third eyelidretreating.

Pamnock,

You and Yours are Something Special. I wish I knew half of what your kids know about rabbits. You're an inspiration to us all.

-Carolyn

Carolyn

I agree with you about Pam I think she is amazing!

Hope Fauna's conjunctivitis is improving. Crunchie's 3rd eyelid is justabout back to normal now i.e. not showing much at all. I assume my vetwas right it must have been the stress of having a major operation. Hedid say it may take about 5-6 weeks but it has not been that long :p

Let us know how Fauna gets on? Are you putting drops or something in her eyes?

Sue

Hi Foofy,

I'm thrilled to hear that Crunchie's third eyelid is back to where it should be.

Fauna's looks better and better every day. I want them to beclear when I post the pictures of her. I have toput ointment in them twice a day fora week. Shetakes it pretty well now. The first day she had a fit,huffing and puffing at me. She knows I'm trying to helpher.

Thanks so much for asking.

-Carolyn

Does anybody have a link to a photo ofthis condition (the third eyelid showing)? I've looked andlooked but can't find one and can't envision what you guys are talkingabout.

pam you are so wise!!!!!!when i picklyla (who is also a holland lop,) upsometimes her third eyelid shows but it goes back in as soonas i put her down do you know what might be causing this???

Pam?

Is it common for third eyelids to show up in aging rabbits?

-Carolyn

Some may begin to get a "lazy" third eye-lid asthey age. It can be due to any number of factors.We have a doe that has a genetic defect in the musclesthataffects the shape of the third eyelid and prevents her from completelyretracting them.

Pam

Pam,

Fauna, my mini lop, seems to have a small bit of oily fur around thetop of her ears. It used to be in her eyes with the conjunctivitis, butthat's dried up.

Anything I can do or is this something that is an age thing too? She's4.5 years old and unspayed. We've rescued her and it's now too late tohave her spayed.

-Carolyn

Thanks, I will.

I've noticed that every day it looks better and better.

One last thing, is it known if the third eyelid effects their eyesight?

-Carolyn

It really wouldn't affect the eyesight unless itis obstructing the pupil. Otherwise, it's just more of anannoyance at the corner of the eye.

Exposure can lead to irritation and potential infection, so it's good to monitor the condition of the exposed third eyelid.

Pam

Should exposure lead to irritation and possible infection, Pam, wouldyou recommend I wash the eye out every so often? If infection couldoccur, what would be the signs and recommended treatment?

Thanks so much.

-Carolyn

I would consult with the vet on proper treatment as some medications may cause further irritation and make the problem worse.

This site has some good info on causes and treatment. . .

Pam

Hi Pam,

The corner of Fauna's eyes are crusty, I've just noticed tonight.

I still have some of the conjunctivitis medication left from the vet. Will start that up again.

I'm also going to put some warm cotton pads on her eyes to loosen the crust so that I can get it off.

Any chance of allergies causing the conjunctivitis or would this be asign of infection caused by the exposure of the third eyelid?

Many Thanks.

-Carolyn

Back