Third bunny?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BaileyBoy

Reaction score
Am thinking of getting a third bunny in the future, from a rescue of course.

I know my bun girl would warm to a third compatible rabbit, but I am hesitant with my bun boy as he gets very on-edge and stressed around new rabbits and isn't experienced at all.

What are your experiences - particularly with shy/stressy rabbits?

Did it go well or did you regret it?

I recently got a third bunny (only through rescuing it from a dog walking field!) ... All of my bunnies are boys... Two have been together since beginning of this year and seem to have bonded. The new bunny has his own hutch alongside the other twos shared hutch.

Whereas Kevin (the new bun) has shown interest in the two others, they seem to be uninterested in Kevin. I introduced them the other day for a few seconds which resulted in Kevin mounting one of my other boys and ALOT of thumping. Split them up immediately and that was it.

I think it can be prretty difficult introducing a third bunny into a pair and requires ALOT of time, patience and knowledge of bunny behaviour. If you know your boy will find it stressful maybe it would be worth considering getting a third bunny but keeping them seperate or possibly getting another bonded pair instead of a single bun? I find that many rescue bunnies are usually paired anyways.

I'm by no means an expert, but hope I've helped a little bit. Good luck 😁 x

I got a third bunny last March. My first two buns bonded really quick so I thought this would be a breeze...I was very wrong.

I had my third bun living in a separate cage next to the other two for at least six months. During that time I would take them to odd areas of my apartment where they normally don't go and introduce them in pairs. After a lot of repetition and patience, they were finally able to stay in the same cage.

It's SO worth it. I love seeing them all cuddle up together and they are so happy. The newest (and youngest) bun gets the other two so wound up and they all binky and chase each other. It's super cute.

Back